Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seems like popamole + usual Spiders problems but I won't mess up with your guise hype, have fun, the disillusionment will eventually set in. Finance the game for me, maybe if the game sells well, I will play the sequel 3 years from now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wrapping yourself in the pageantry of the 18th century means recreating the iconography of colonial expansion and native slaughter. It means emulating a time when supposedly great men failed to do what was morally right, opting instead to do what was politically expedient.
In the time I’ve played Greedfall, it’s clear that while I can alienate factions (sometimes gaining favor with my companions for doings so) there’s a great deal of advantage to placating all parties and maintaining the status quo on Teer Fradee. ... You might prevent a tragedy here or there, but as long as there’s a mechanical incentive to acquiesce to formality and political decency, there’s no room for any transformative action.
:hmmm:
You're almost there, doll.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played for 90 minutes, got to leave to work, but I was very happy with what I've seen so far, definitely far superior than Technomancer. It gives me some Witcher 1/2 vibes.

Codex Year of the Donut
Game is good so far. Multiple ways to solve quests(including both objectives & outcome)
Played for 90 minutes, got to leave to work, but I was very happy with what I've seen so far, definitely far superior than Technomancer. It gives me some Witcher 1/2 vibes.
Witcher 1 & 2 is probably what I'd compare it to so far too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Still not left Selene. I liked the arabic looking guy from the Alliance, then followed up on the Alchemist and hearing his backstory, I liked him too. Let him leave the city and lied to the arabic guy. Lofts of ways to solve quests so far

Nobody I've talked to is either cartoony evil or good

Sadly I have to go to work now

Jinn

Arcane
I've got mostly positive impressions from my first 2 hours with it as well. Witcher 1 at least definitely seems like an apt (and favorable) comparison in my eyes so far. Quest design seems to be the focus they've been promising this whole time, which makes me very happy. Hell, itemization even seems to be quite improved over other Spiders games already. Have found some nice equipment just from exploring and going off the beaten path.

Only major problem I have so far is the inability to disable point of interest and quest markers on the maps screen, which hasn't been all that big of a deal because you can turn off all of those types of elements when you're exploring the game world anyway. I just try not to pay much attention to them when I have to open up the map to get my bearings.

Yosharian

Arcane
Interesting. Game is getting mixed reviews on Steam and Metacritic (well, in so far as 75 is 'mixed', it ought to be a decent score for an AA developer), so it's interesting to see the (mostly) positive review from ACG. Skill Up has given it a negative review? I can't watch the video right now.

So far I've heard that Charisma sucks (from DualShockers' review) and that Extreme difficulty still isn't all that challenging (Reddit source). The DS review recommended "lockpicking, crafting, and alchemy" (I think he means Science by 'alchemy'). Another Reddit source said 'traps are broken right now' but it wasn't clear if they meant overpowered or not working correctly.

Both the DS and ScreenRant reviews (the two weakest scores so far) complain about the game either 'unnecessarily challenging' and 'unfairly tough at times'.

ScreenRant rated it 3.5/5 which according to them is 'Very Good' but I'm not sure 70 reads as 'very good' in most people's minds. The review was very positive, as well. It read more like an 80 review than a 70. It's very interesting (well I thought it was) that the reviewer for this game doesn't seem to have reviewed any other games for at least 5-6 months. She mostly seems to review TV programs.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
From the Kotaku review I got the impression if you play a goody-two-shoes you become more of a force for the status quo and not the revolutionary the Kotaku writer was hoping for, which is, ahem, quite amusing. I'll play that one my first playthrough and see how that plays out, and if reactivity is good enough I do a second playthrough as a hot-headed, aggressive, self-important, overconfident progressive who tries his best to start a revolution and blood be damned who becomes a casualty of that, will be interesting to see whether you can go for a revolutionary path that way and if there's an ending to accommodate that

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting. Game is getting mixed reviews on Steam and Metacritic (well, in so far as 75 is 'mixed', it ought to be a decent score for an AA developer), so it's interesting to see the (mostly) positive review from ACG. Skill Up has given it a negative review? I can't watch the video right now.

So far I've heard that Charisma sucks (from DualShockers' review) and that Extreme difficulty still isn't all that challenging (Reddit source). The DS review recommended "lockpicking, crafting, and alchemy" (I think he means Science by 'alchemy'). Another Reddit source said 'traps are broken right now' but it wasn't clear if they meant overpowered or not working correctly.

Both the DS and ScreenRant reviews (the two weakest scores so far) complain about the game either 'unnecessarily challenging' and 'unfairly tough at times'.

ScreenRant rated it 3.5/5 which according to them is 'Very Good' but I'm not sure 70 reads as 'very good' in most people's minds. The review was very positive, as well. It read more like an 80 review than a 70. It's very interesting (well I thought it was) that the reviewer for this game doesn't seem to have reviewed any other games for at least 5-6 months. She mostly seems to review TV programs.
most of the bad review seems to be complaining about janky animations. gosh i wish i can cull them

DeepOcean

Arcane
To anyone that played, does the difficulty ramp up above normal mode? Or the difficulty modes are the usual make everything having gazillions more health and having a boost to damage?

After seeing this, the enemies seem to be very reluctant to fight back and easily stunlockable by pretty much everything, seen stamina free popamole dodging right there, and the bosses are the usual massive HP sponges. The production values seem to be higher from previous spiders games but the jank remains right there on combat. If the combat is irredeemable as it seems to be, how are the choices and the characters? The accusations that the characters are bland proceed?

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've just left Sérène and I have some thoughts on this game.

Consider me uncultured, but I really try to actively avoid nu-cRPGs whenever I can, I played very little Inquisition for example (and like half an hour of DA2). What really struck me then was how mediocre agency I have as a player when it comes to roleplaying my De Retardet (who has no name mind you) (and who I made as Aryan lookin’ as I could, to make forthcoming colonising of natives more realistic and aesthetically pleasing). For example let’s consider aforementioned Bridge Alliance (what a name for a nation they chose for themselves indeed) embassy quest. When you confront the alchemist player character chooses for you the basic course of action: you are essentially lawful (De Retardet says outright without player’s input that alchemist’s play must end) and you can do jack shit ‘bout that. What if I would like to let the guy continue his practice? He after all says that he tests his “cure” on people to perfect the formula. Yes, people will lynch him in no time, but whatever, why should I care? Perhaps they won’t? Perhaps he would really find something out?

Yes, there is some choice as to how resolve quests, the one I’m describing included, but some fundamental decisions are premade and it shows in other cases as well. I as a player had no choice as to what to talk about with my character’s mother, my Aryan coloniser absolutely respects his former nigga teacher (“master”) and can’t talk no shit to him, I can’t shit-talk my retarded cousin who also absolutely deserves that, and so on and so forth.

What’s more I can’t refuse quests at times, which is beyond insane, but I guess I’m not used to games these days. Dialogue options are mainly limited to lore-wankery, and said lore is bland to be frank. Nations are typical faction-stereotypes. There are scientifically advanced sandniggers who are at literal and metaphorical war with zealots with Latin names, cardinals and so on. Both of the factions, and they have quests to show that (they are identical when it comes to design: original premise based on the faction’s core idea shown through darker lenses throughout the quest’s progress), are “morally grey”, and other groups which are featured through narration (like magical gypsy-seafarers called fuckin’ Nauts...) are also portrayed as such. Worldbuilding is in general typical modern fuckin' shit: all races are represented, sexes have equal rights (Latin faithfags have mother-cardinals), typical current year settingmaking.

I guess it’s good, but that’s also quite predictable. Game is just awfully written, but then again I’m not used to modern style interactive cinematics. I also hate combat, but I’m not gonna complain, some folks dig that style I don’t, de gustibus blah blah.

EDIT: Someone wrote here that game gave him/her/it/this dog Witcher 2 vibes. This is correct in my case as well. This game looks and plays like cheap man's Inquisition modeled in it's core as a blend of Witcher 2 and Gothic.

EDIT2: There's also one more thing which will probably make me play this game all its flaws notwithstanding. It’s clearly 17th century and I dig early modern European period, not many games in that style.

EDIT3: It just dawned on me. Imagine that in New Vegas you start in Goodsprings and in there you find like, well let's be generous, not buildings with embassies of all factions, but people who represent them. And they tell you the idealised version of their faction's core, and then give you a quest through which you learn that oh boi it's not all so dandy! That's 'bout how subtle GreedFall is right now.

EDIT4: Yes white soybois tag with racism, please do it more, let's farm the shit out of it.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
So far the biggest negatives seem to be:

• Combat lacks depth
  • Combat is too easy / too difficult
  • Animation/lip synch is poor
  • Role-playing options in dialogue are limited
  • Enemy variety is poor
  • Assets such as houses/buildings are re-used a lot
A lot of these can be attributed to Spiders being an AA studio, but the limited dialogue is disappointing.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
  • ACG says it's too easy on insane difficulty (highest). Same problem with The Technomancer.
  • Skillup claims its bogged with repetitive enemies and enviornments. Another problem with The Technomancer.
Basically it's Technomancer 2.0 with slightly better animations and graphics. Can't say I'm surprised.

Last edited:
I am enjoying it sofar, very early in. Writing and cutscenes seem closer to Witcha-level than to Bioware-level. Combat seems fun, so far, I am playing on Extreme difficulty. It is twitchy but in an interesting way.

Question, my weapon is not displayed on my avatar, and only comes out during combat. Is that just in starting area, or a glitch or what?

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

most of the bad review seems to be complaining about janky animations. gosh i wish i can cull them
Been hanging around them tchortists I see

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom