Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Spaceland - fast-paced alien shooting turn-based tactics

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.tortugateam.com

So apparently there is this game, Spaceland , being developed.
Quoting their Steam Page:

ABOUT THIS GAME
sl_map_02.gif

Perhaps the most dynamic turn-based strategy in the spirit of XCOM. Less covers, more action. Land on the lost planet and give the mutants hell. Shoot, kick, blow, crush. You will gather the most desperate team of fighters and unravel the secrets of the mystical planet in the best traditions of science fiction genre.
Inspired by old school strategies
Spaceland is an old school turn-based strategy game. Inspired by the classic XCOM, Laser Squad, Incubation and the brilliant science fiction novels by Heinlein, Sheckley and Harrison, it’s a great opportunity to touch the classics in the new reading.
sl_store_battle_02.gif

Fast tactical battles

Rapid battles lasting 10-15 minutes. Destroy the dangerous inhabitants of the mysterious planet. Invulnerable brontors, swift creepers, mutants and many others will stand in the way of a fearless squad. And, of course, you will be confronted by cunning and threacherous bosses at the end of each chapter.
sl_store_battle_06.gif

Space adventure

Dive deep into a colorful fantastic story about a lost planet and a team of valiant space rangers. Rich dialogues will reveal the characters of the squad members and will uncover interesting details of their biography. Speciality atmosphere from the creators of Braveland will excite you until the very end.
Futuristic equipment for your squad
Get all the kinds of special equipment for use in battles. Dash thrusters, grenades, teleports, mines, power shields and much more. Give your heroes special abilities and invent unexpected tactical moves.
sl_store_battle_07.gif

Features

• The game is inspired by the best turn-based strategies of the old school - XCOM, Incubation, Laser Squad
  • A unique blend of dynamic turn-based battles lasting 10-15 minutes
  • Make a squad from 7 space rangers, each with a unique fighting style
  • The story of the mysterious planet in the spirit of the «golden age» of science fiction
  • Colorful hand-drawn map of the game world
  • Assault rifles, machine guns, plasma guns, grenade launchers as well as and many other primary and secondary equipment to enhance your fighters
  • 20 different types of fierce enemies: from alien critters to vile monsters
  • Upgradable futuristic equipment, giving your fighters new special abilities
  • Rich dialogues between your team members, revealing unexpected plot details
  • Colorful special effects that transform a turn-based battle into an exciting action
  • And, of course, the party headliners - threacherous bosses at the end of each story chapter

Also an interview

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
6290e60546.png

*chop*

7b66d09fdc.png

Ah, spring... when a young developer's quarterly release date turns to annual.

85699a58ea.png

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
fast paced

turn based

huh
In this particular exemple, I think fast pace means that there is minimal time spent before contact with the enemy. The maps are rather small, and look more like RPG encounter maps than X(-)COM or JA sized maps.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I'm very excited with the direction they've taken Monsters Inc.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I don't know what's more Doom-like, the teletubbies color palette or fortnite character design.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is an example of how you can ruin a game's perception on the Codex simply by adding the wrong word to its thread's title. The developers aren't claiming this game is "Doom-themed" at all.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
This thread is an example of how you can ruin a game's perception on the Codex simply by adding the wrong word to its title. The developers aren't claiming this game is "Doom-themed" at all.
I'm 100% certain that I read that somewhere, I didn't make it up. But I can't remember where obviously

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's weird because I definitely remember seeing this description, possibly even in their Steam page. I'm so sure that I want to search the edit history of the page :P

The Red Knight

Erudite
This thread is an example of how you can ruin a game's perception on the Codex simply by adding the wrong word to its title. The developers aren't claiming this game is "Doom-themed" at all.
I'm 100% certain that I read that somewhere, I didn't make it up. But I can't remember where obviously
Maybe there:
http://unitedfrontgaming.com/ufg-interviews-tortuga-team-about-spaceland/
Anton Mikhaylov (game designer and co-founder of Tortuga Team) said:
If X-COM is like “turn-based Call of Duty” with camping, planning, and long battles – Spaceland is like “turn-based Doom!”. For example, in Spaceland, you’re not going to miss a point-blank shot, but you do have a limited amount of ammo to keep track of. A key tactic is to always be closing the distance, moving forward to crush enemies at close-range, even though you’re risking your health getting in close like that. There are more monsters on each level (than in other tactics games) but they have less health. So each battle is quick, maybe 10-15 minutes each, but it’s much more action-oriented, and less about planning every little detail.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Thank you man, helps my sanity

*They even have a BIG FONT BOLDED subtitle
“…SPACELAND IS LIKE ‘TURN-BASED DOOM!'”

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A "tactics" game that's "less about planning every little detail"?

Where have I seen that concept before?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Mobile shit, cant recommend.
Incubation had less usable screen size than some mobile games :D
Also, 40K: Deathwatch was pretty good, apart from its P2P mobile roots (and its resulting unlock problems on PC, as microtransactions were replaced with grinding).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Don't like that vapid, generic, simplistic art style that you see in so many other games but at least it will introduce some fans to the tactical squad-based genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom