Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sovereignty - Possible larpfest meme LP of a B O R I N G game

Do or not do?

• Yes, go for it buddy (wouldn't read but would brofist)

• Get out of muh swamp

• KingGrognard

Results are only viewable after voting.

Citizen

Would any of you monocled gentlemen and trannies be interested in an oldskool text'n'pictures BLIND LP of Sovereighnty: Crown of Kings?

The game's a fantasy LARP mappainting simulator set in a generic totally-not-warhammer universe. I can play as any nation, so it's for YOU to decide whether I would play some actually interesting faction as frozen enchantress, small troll village and island pirates, or a generic muh human cavalry-focused empire or god forbid some filthy elven sheepshaggers/edgy emo dark elves

Here's a worldmap: (i will add faction descritions later)
i7V8lC.jpg

And here some provincemanagement and combat screens
i7V2kv.jpg

i7VAX5.jpg

Citizen

Yeah, I wanted to start as a smaller faction since it's my first run, so they seem like a good choice

tindrli

Arcane
this is a great game that i never got into.. have it installed for couple of years minimum and never... i think im stupid for this one.. will read and probably brofist as well. explain us stuff bro

Andnjord

Arcane
I have no idea what this game is but I'll follow along for the ride.

My vote goes to whatever human faction makes it its job to root out the heretic and the xeno :obviously:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
There is a lot of factions from what little i saw.
Can you choose random?

Citizen

There is a lot of factions from what little i saw.
Can you choose random?

I decided to roll with palemoor as a fellow citizen suggested. It's supposed to be pretty challenging and it's also an edgy unded faction, so very suitable for an LP. IN PROGRESS!

Still have some work and uni stuff to do so don't expect too soon

Citizen

Game had lots of potential when it came out

This game feels empty. No unit descriptions, copypasted unit portraits, bugs, and it seems like tactical battle AI is completely broken?? It barely moves units even when attacking your provinces, I searched for some community fixes, but there's none :negative:

It's a true successor to Birthright: Gorgons Alliance then, in both spirit and wasted potential feel

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game feels empty. No unit descriptions, copypasted unit portraits, bugs, and it seems like tactical battle AI is completely broken?? It barely moves units even when attacking your provinces, I searched for some community fixes, but there's none :negative:

It's a true successor to Birthright: Gorgons Alliance then, in both spirit and wasted potential feel

I agree with that assessment completely. I played it way longer than I probably should have, because of that feeling of a game that was almost hitting the mark, but unfortunately lack of money/experience/talent they failed around the 70-80 % mark.

Citizen

I played it way longer than I probably should have, because of that feeling of a game that was almost hitting the mark, but unfortunately lack of money/experience/talent they failed around the 70-80 % mark.

Did you find any tactical combat fix when you played it?

edited: enemy units are not moving for me. I can just win every battle as a defender by not engaging the enemy until he runs out of turns :lol: And when you are the attacker, AI forces are scattered through the battlefield not utilizing the shieldwall bonus, making it very easy to destroy isolated infantry units with cavalry

Did you find any tactical combat fix when you played it?

edited: enemy units are not moving for me. I can just win every battle as a defender by not engaging the enemy until he runs out of turns :lol: And when you are the attacker, AI forces are scattered through the battlefield not utilizing the shieldwall bonus, making it very easy to destroy isolated infantry units with cavalry

Not at all, although I never got too much of that when playing, but I haven't touched it after the recent patches, where this seemed to become more of a problem (at least to my knowledge from the various semi-dead message boards where the game was discussed).

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Citizen I really tried to like and get into this game. I loved the concept and setting but JESUS MARY JOSEPH, the game is not really patched up, combat AI was doing some weird shit, and UI started to go bonkers after a few turns (ex: not correctly showing numbers).

What other game does get close to Gorgons Alliance? I feel like there are a tons of unique gameplay models in 90's game that were shoved out of the window. :dead:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Game had lots of potential when it came out

The early access showed much promises, but the end game was not much more advanced.
The game will never be patched, because the developer closed shop (and Matrix Games/Slitherine wrote the game off).

From Steam forums:

Breca 7 Sep @ 9:06pm
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

This is a topic I have hesitated to step into, but this may be the right time. Gothic Labs has shuttered its doors. I will speak directly.

I have seen this topic as a recurring theme, and in many ways, it is on the mark. Sovereignty represents an elusive glimmer of light, an unfulfilled potential. I understand your frustration. I share it.

Sovereignty was originally envisaged as a grand campaign world, steeped with rival cultures that could set the stage for epic strategy games, role-playing games, novels. What it lacked was the financial backing, business savvy to acquire it, and ultimately, manpower to realize its potential. The game you see was developed on zero budget (literally), by a few very idealistic devs on their spare time while working other full time jobs, because we all have to eat. In many ways, it's a miracle it released at all, and without Lordz Game Studios, it would not have crossed the finish line.

I would like to thank Lordz and Slitherine, and I am personally excited about their Fantasy General 2 and Panzer Corps 2 titles. Both look to be loving reimaginings of great games that would also otherwise be shuttered by SSI's closure long ago.

Will Sovereignty one day be reincarnated as well? That would be wonderful to see. It would take an entirely different approach to development though: an actual dev budget and marketing to give it the air to spread its wings as it was meant to.

I want to thank the players who have stuck with it, who continue to see that potential and believe in something greater.

Breca

What other game does get close to Gorgons Alliance? I feel like there are a tons of unique gameplay models in 90's game that were shoved out of the window.
None that I can think of :(
Maybe Mount and Blade to some extent, or some other base building RPG with followers(Kenshi, Legend of Ellaria) could approach it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom