Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

I can't figure out how to get to the fishing village and I already sent Kim away with the body. Did I fuck up?

Speaking of the body, I failed the impossible perception check at 97% and I am goddamn livid.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, the "politics" layer of this game is extremely heavy-handed.

1. Communism can't be that bad, can it?
2. Heil hitler and fuck women!

Dude, that’s not how they present communism. When you accept the communism thought, Rhetoric immediately says something like, “great, let’s kill the bourgeoisie and other counterrevolutionaries... actually let’s just kill everyone regardless of their political beliefs—the only way to achieve TRUE communism.” It’s as much of a parody as “traditionalism.”

Disco’s communism is a blood-drenched failure that’s totally out of touch with reality (hence why you get volition and visual calculus penalties for equipping the thought) and totally indifferent to human life.

Every ideology you can sign up for is over the top and stupid and kinda crazy. Even centrism.

Also, I don’t want to spoil anything, but the communist and communist-adjacent characters you meet in Disco Elysium are some of the absolute fucking worst people in the game. Whereas the fascist/monarchist NPCs range from a rude racist at worst to a charming old man at best.

Insert Title Here
I don't really get a feeling that the game is somehow trying to convert me into becoming a card-carrying communist. While being an interesting character, the union leader is a fat corrupt snake who tries to blackmail and swindle me into working with him. I found the capitalist company rep lady to be a lot more likeable. I also liked the elderly monarchist soldier.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Why don't you just play a guy whose life is on the rocks and everything has a chance of going wrong? Why do you care that you get 18 oodles of content as opposed to 19?

I'd fail more than half the checks if I took the red/white nodes immediately. Even with 6+ in a skill the roll chance is still 40-60%. And I'm talking about the first 2 days. Then without backing out to inventory (must exit dialogue) I'd barely ever do any of the hard checks. For me the first day is the worst, there are many side quests to start and too many skills.

Also some of the gated content is very interesting (having passed the checks) and there's no way to find out what's going to happen prior to passing the check. Failing has flavor text but doesn't open up anything.

was this after the composure check when they tell you to go talk to Oranje Disco Dancer and you realize you’ve already met? I failed that check hard.
Yep. I was internalizing the "Fail every red check" thought at the time, so even though I have good composure I was fucked on that account. On the bright side, I rolled double sixes on my volition check with Miss Oranje proving once again that TRADITIONALISM WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG AND ALL WOMEN ARE MONSTERS. Also got into secret passages. And succeeded a legendary shivers check which is more understandable since I've got a shivers of 10 now. This game is driving me batshit because I want to see everything all the time and I can't do it, but it does make me inordinately happy when I do hit on something cool.

Tigranes

Arcane
Why don't you just play a guy whose life is on the rocks and everything has a chance of going wrong? Why do you care that you get 18 oodles of content as opposed to 19?

I'd fail more than half the checks if I took the red/white nodes immediately. Even with 6+ in a skill the roll chance is still 40-60%. And I'm talking about the first 2 days. Then without backing out to inventory (must exit dialogue) I'd barely ever do any of the hard checks. For me the first day is the worst, there are many side quests to start and too many skills.

Also some of the gated content is very interesting (having passed the checks) and there's no way to find out what's going to happen prior to passing the check. Failing has flavor text but doesn't open up anything.

I've only played Day 1, but my "let's pick attribs and stats based on a vague larpy concept, not switch out clothes, and just roll" character failed some checks, succeeded others, got plenty of content to keep him busy all day long. Plenty of tasks were left undone - some on purpose, some due to incompetence.

It's not about "click check -> failure -> some COOL and AMAZING thing happens" all the time. The very fact that you are stymied in conversation with a witness and cannot seem to break them down, might mean you have to accept their shitty bargain, or leave them be and operate with less knowledge somewhere else.

When you start to calculate your way out of that and line up the numbers to pass all the checks you want, then you might as well pick and choose what scenes you want to see from a director's reel disconnected from all sense of roleplay and consequence. I'm not saying that makes you a horrible person, I'm saying I think that will suck all the fun out of this game for you.

Let me put it this way - sure, your guy will miss out on some cool scenes if you can't pass the check. Is that really a problem? Is solving that problem worth destroying the sense of choice and consequence, of character building, of a well paced and organically built adventure? And beyond this particular game, isn't the definition of C&C, the Codex holy grail of RPGs, that you will miss out on certain kinds of content? The weird and wacky endings/scenes in Alpha Protocol, the tightly guarded secrets around the NPCs, are so special because you don't see them most of the time, because of the knowledge that many characters will not reach this secret and you did so because of your character's many choices all throughout the game. If you just watch that content on Youtube or extract it all by gaming the ideal numbersbot the very first playthrough, it's not half as worthwhile.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
One of my tasks is trying to make me get and drink some booze, as if to make fun of OCD-driven players who want to fulfill every quest, whether that's actually a good idea or not

That said, I've save-scummed some checks, I sometimes really want to see what happens

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I can't figure out how to get to the fishing village and I already sent Kim away with the body. Did I fuck up?

Speaking of the body, I failed the impossible perception check at 97% and I am goddamn livid.

What day is it for you? To get to the fishing village, go southwest of the pawnshop. There’s a box with a lever you can pull, which closes the lock on the canal and creates a bridge that you can cross to the other side. After that you can’t miss it. But the bridge is out of order until day 3.

What would you say, how long on average is the game?

I did a fairly (but not COMPLETELY) completionist run, always explored, always tried to do side-tasks if able, and my time played was 20 hours

Damn, you must be a fast reader. What was your build? When I lost my old saves during the preview, I blitzed through everything I’d done in the first three-and-a-half days by skimming the text (also did some uncharacteristic save scumming) to get back to where my character had been. Even then, it took me about 25 hours with most of that on days 4-7. Maybe I’m turning into a slow reader in my old age.

the phasmid, dude! that fucking phasmid!!! did you have a high enough inland empire to converse with it? I thought that was such a cool way to end the game.

was this after the composure check when they tell you to go talk to Oranje Disco Dancer and you realize you’ve already met? I failed that check hard.
Yep. I was internalizing the "Fail every red check" thought at the time, so even though I have good composure I was fucked on that account. On the bright side, I rolled double sixes on my volition check with Miss Oranje proving once again that TRADITIONALISM WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG AND ALL WOMEN ARE MONSTERS. Also got into secret passages. And succeeded a legendary shivers check which is more understandable since I've got a shivers of 10 now. This game is driving me batshit because I want to see everything all the time and I can't do it, but it does make me inordinately happy when I do hit on something cool.

Volition became my favorite after that whole internal monologue with her.

frajaq

Erudite
the phasmid, dude! that fucking phasmid!!! did you have a high enough inland empire to converse with it? I thought that was such a cool way to end the game.
yeah it really showed that the devs's favorite skill is Inland Empire lol, I won't be afraid to admit I save-scummed to be able to talk to it, was really worth it

Goose

Learned
The union leader isn't a 'real' Communist, the real Communists are all the downtrodden workers, brown people and cops, being pitted against each other by the evil and corrupt BOURGEOISIE, OoooooOOOooo scary.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
The union leader isn't a 'real' Communist, the real Communists are all the downtrodden workers, brown people and cops, being pitted against each other by the evil and corrupt BOURGEOISIE, OoooooOOOooo scary.

The proletariat are not communist at all in Disco.

Evrart is a corrupt social democrat—communist adjacent—but there’s an important legit communist character who shows up later in the game. And they are the opposite of sympathetic.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Please tell me you aren't talking about the
sniper

He was a fucking political commissar in the revolutionary army. The character might sound like a crazy old man to you, but everything he says could’ve come from the mouth of a tankie.

Why on earth are you watching the whole game?

Rieser

Scholar
Finished the game, think I got a good ending so that's nice

Wondering about which kind of character to go next

Also have some spoiler-y question:

There was no moment in the game where I got a flashback sequences about Du Bois's woman leaving him, like it showed in the trailer for the game, did anyone get that and how?

Yes. Got it when taking a nap in the bunker on the island where the sniper resides. It's a dream sequence, not a flashback per se.

Goose

Learned
Because it's Commie dog shit. I had it on my wishlist for 3 years, removed it, never going to play it.

He is in NO WAY a critique on Communism as an ideal.

He is a critique on the horrors of war and is a stubborn old dog, refusing to let go of the past.

He is simply another example of a Communist doing it "the wrong way". I got news for you, 'real' Communists did not like Stalin. Because "'real' Communism hasn't been tried yet" brah.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Because it's commie dog shit. I had it on my wishlist for 3 years, removed it, never going to play it.

He is a critique on the horrors of war and is a stubborn old dog, refusing to let go of the past.

He is simply another example of a Communist doing it "the wrong way". I got news for you, 'real' Communists did not like Stalin.
whose alt are you

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex currently experiencing the roiling temptations of Bulgarianism.

How many points did YOU put in Volition. Find out soon

Goose

Learned
Because it's commie dog shit. I had it on my wishlist for 3 years, removed it, never going to play it.

He is simply another example of a Communist doing it "the wrong way". I got news for you, 'real' Communists did not like Stalin.
whose alt are you

Charles Manson

Jezal_k23

Who knew the Codex would be another place for a developer's (perceived) opinions to be deemed problematic and the game "canceled" in the minds of some because of it? Heh. That's funny.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Who knew the Codex would be another place for a developer's (perceived) opinions to be deemed problematic and the game "canceled" in the minds of some because of it? Heh. That's funny.
I'd flame DE out if I thought it were an actual endorsement of communism. I'm 9 hours in and that's not what it is.

Goose

Learned

Every game made for the last 20 years has been varying degrees of Commie or Marxist filth. It's to personal taste of how much you will tolerate. Some like it extra spicy. I would prefer mild-to-none.

I'm tired of all these shills saying the devs dindu-nuffin. All the undertones are there. I don't care if it doesn't bother you, just don't lie about it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Guy watches the entire game on youtube while disavowing it as an IDEOLOGICAL ENEMY PRODUCT that he cannot stomach playing

You might want to get your blood checked out for communist mutations, friend, they might have already gotten to you

Wunderbar

Arcane
Did you know that your partner's name "Kim" stands for Kommunisticheskiy Internazional Molodyozhi?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom