Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
"Renaissance era (1996-2002)" ?

What the fuck are you talking about? There were plenty of games before that period that were better. Maybe you meant the start of the decline.

Fallout shits on every RPG that came before it. Every single one, in every single way that counts.

What do you mean I can't prove I have played BG? Do I have to start a blog to prove it?

You can't prove that you've played BG once, let alone 100 times. I can. See the difference? You are just talking. Do you know who the authority is on BG commentary, according to Google algorithms? Hint: it's not you.

Their forums contains more valuable information about gameplay than your friggin blog. Hell, even Beamdog forums do.

G3 and SS contain 0% game-play information on the original, authoritative games. Nothing on their sites can be regarded as accurate to the originals because, guess what, they're MODDING sites. They are muddled and confused: buffleheaded. They can speak with no authority except as it pertains to modding. And modding is not official or sanctioned in any way.

Beamdog is the same. Literally nothing on their site pertains to the originals because, guess, what THEY MODDED THEM, TOO. I am the only commentator that can be trusted to have no admixture of EE or mods in my retrospectives and pro-tip write-ups. Even the wikis are tainted by the EEs.

See what I'm getting at? Preservation and expansion of the narrative. My blog will be read long after your shitty game is entombed and forgotten. You have ZERO influence.
The original developers are modding the game into existence, shouldn't we feel the same way about them

i wonder if roguey could find my name too

Same here.

Wow. I would never have the guts to poke Roguey with the stick as you both do. Respect!

You Jedi are weak like that.

You seem like a person who puts his fingers in meat grinder just for fun.

It might look like that to you, yes. But we Sith see strife as a source of power. That is why we seek it.

I love when my enemies mistake sources of power with meat grinders. Makes my job so MUCH, MUCH easier.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
i wonder if roguey could find my name too

Same here.

Wow. I would never have the guts to poke Roguey with the stick as you both do. Respect!

You Jedi are weak like that.

You seem like a person who puts his fingers in meat grinder just for fun.

It might look like that to you, yes. But we Sith see strife as a source of power. That is why we seek it.

I love when my enemies mistake sources of power with meat grinders. Makes my job so MUCH, MUCH easier.

I love when my enemies mistake a healthy challenge with an insurmountable obstacle. Makes them MUCH, MUCH more complacent.

Morroweird

Educated
I don't want to interrupt the amusing discussion of the past several pages, but when I read the author's excellent blog some time ago I got the impression that he is a guy probably from Estonia called something like 'Ante Lilura' and simply used his uncommon-sounding surname as blog domain. Can't seem to find that particular fragment right now, so I may be misremembering.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is this annoying self ascribed air of superiority that some codexers have about them. I feel like some reality check is in order.

Games are a failed medium to begin with. Those that like to test their wits are better served doing programming, philosophy, physics etc... Those that like stories are better served by films and literature. While games do promise a combination of mechanics and story for a superior entertainment experience, they seldom deliver. Even the best written games are only "good" for A GAME, and mediocre at best when compared to other mediums.

Now let's talk about the word "popamole." While Witcher 3 may be more popamole than say JA2, it is still pathetically popamole when it comes to mechanical or cognitive challenges of getting competitively good at a multiplayer game like sc, dota, or quake. While codexers like to pretend that the reason people don't play incline games today is that the new generation is far too casual, the truth is they transitioned to a mechanically superior genre of multiplayer games a long fucking time ago and for a good reason. There is no AI or encounter design that can match a good competent high ranking multiplayer session. The irony of the whole thing is that single player gaming is the most softcore casual thing that exists in the gaming world today. It is like watching some nerd go to the gym and brag about being able to bench 100 lb to his scrawny borderline physically dystrophic friend.

It would be a gift for humanity if gamers learned to be a little more self aware and shut the fuck up with their pseudo-intellectual drivel. This sense of grandiosity is completely unjustified by having played and enjoyed fallout.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
There is this annoying self ascribed air of superiority that some codexers have about them. I feel like some reality check is in order.

Games are a failed medium to begin with. Those that like to test their wits are better served doing programming, philosophy, physics etc... Those that like stories are better served by films and literature. While games do promise a combination of mechanics and story for a superior entertainment experience, they seldom deliver. Even the best written games are only "good" for A GAME, and mediocre at best when compared to other mediums.

Now let's talk about the word "popamole." While Witcher 3 may be more popamole than say JA2, it is still pathetically popamole when it comes to mechanical or cognitive challenges of getting competitively good at a multiplayer game like sc, dota, or quake. While codexers like to pretend that the reason people don't play incline games today is that the new generation is far too casual, the truth is they transitioned to a mechanically superior genre of multiplayer games a long fucking time ago and for a good reason. There is no AI or encounter design that can match a good competent high ranking multiplayer session. The irony of the whole thing is that single player gaming is the most softcore casual thing that exists in the gaming world today. It is like watching some nerd go to the gym and brag about being able to bench 100 lb to his scrawny borderline physically dystrophic friend.

It would be a gift for humanity if gamers learned to be a little more self aware and shut the fuck up with their pseudo-intellectual drivel. This sense of grandiosity is completely unjustified by having played and enjoyed fallout.
When people say they hate multiplayer games it's usually because they can't compete, which lines up pretty well for most codexers probably, they need to make safespace games more grandiose to not feel like failures or inferior in some way to most gamers.

Same thing with people who claim to like challenging games, when multiplayer games are far more challenging than any single player game a special snowflake on the codex flaunts their superiority at.

Most of the so called challenge of these special snowflake games is because of an unexplained mechanic, or an obtuse mechanic that's never explained to the player.

Whereas most multiplayer games show you the rules and no one you play against will have something you can't combat within the obvious rules of the game.

For example if I played a battlefield game with 63 bots instead of players it would be substantially more easy and I'd probably never die.

Really anyone who says you can't handle challenge in a single player game is delusional, when harder games exist, what they really mean is you haven't developed the obtuse metaknowledge to cheese the AI, or know what the dev wanted you to do beforehand.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There is no AI or encounter design that can match a good competent high ranking multiplayer session. The irony of the whole thing is that single player gaming is the most softcore casual thing that exists in the gaming world today. It is like watching some nerd go to the gym and brag about being able to bench 100 lb to his scrawny borderline physically dystrophic friend.

Funny, reminds me of my youth, playing Unreal Tournament with friends and of course, random strangers from the internet.
The most efficient strategy not to be shot was to jump non-stop, so it wasn't a first person shooter anymore, just a kangaroo simulation and the occasional mash the fire button hoping to shoot someone.

Well, of course, i didn't jump, because i leave that shit for the random internet retards and i was mostly there to head-shot my friends while trying to avoid the kangaroos.

Also reminds me of my last "laser quest" game, we were only 12 or something and of course, two retards regulars joined the game, and guess what ?
These two morons jumped just like the Unreal Tournament retards, i really wanted to shoot them but not with a laser gun ...

So, to get back on the topic, skills ? Yeah right ?

Edit : Minor fix

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't want to interrupt the amusing discussion of the past several pages, but when I read the author's excellent blog some time ago I got the impression that he is a guy probably from Estonia called something like 'Ante Lilura' and simply used his uncommon-sounding surname as blog domain. Can't seem to find that particular fragment right now, so I may be misremembering.

Disagree!!! - Roguey
NO! - Infinitron..

:smug:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
An npc like most of you function extremely well within a game with many npcs, yet when you play a multiplayer game you're the retard at the bottom right

Meanwhile I'm the valiant hero taking the point topping the scoreboard while you're trying to buy a hat

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
There is no AI or encounter design that can match a good competent high ranking multiplayer session. The irony of the whole thing is that single player gaming is the most softcore casual thing that exists in the gaming world today. It is like watching some nerd go to the gym and brag about being able to bench 100 lb to his scrawny borderline physically dystrophic friend.

Funny, reminds me of my youth, playing Unreal Tournament with friends and of course, random strangers from the internet.
The most efficient strategy not to be shot was to jump non-stop, so it wasn't a first person shooter anymore, just a kangaroo simulation and the occasional mash the fire button hoping to shoot someone.

Well, of course, i didn't jump, because i leave that shit for the random internet retards and i was mostly there to head-shot my friends while trying to avoid the kangaroos.

Also reminds me of my last "laser quest" game, we were only 12 or something and of course, two retards regulars joined the game, and guess what ?
These two morons jumped just like the Unreal Tournament retards, i really wanted to shoot them but not with a laser gun ...

So, to get back on the topic, skills ? Yeah right ?

Edit : Minor fix

Yeah a classic boomer "ive played unreal vs extremely bad players in my youth so I am prestigious". Try playing now when an actual ranking system exist and you are no longer playing vs people who are holding a mouse for the first time. That air of superiority is as rooted in reality as some lunatic running around claiming to be jesus while tripping on DMT. Try achieving a rank above 50th percentile in any semi decent competitive game today, hell I'll even include chess and card games.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The day this forum starts having remotely consistent views that can deconstruct why Witcher 3 is popamole and Planescape is not, is perhaps when people here can start to be taken seriously. Both games have good stories and absolutely abysmal gameplay in every single way that counts. I can only conclude that the usage of the word "popamole" is purely symbolic virtue signaling. Same goes for "using your intelligence and knowledge of mechanics" is not popample when we are talking about something like JA2 but suddenly we hear the "it is not even an rpg" when we talk about dark souls because "reflexes", despite the fact that in both cases you are using something other than your stats to finish the game. Popamole as a term has the potential to be meaningful but the way it's used here is some galaxy brain shit.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
the truth is they transitioned to a mechanically superior genre of multiplayer games a long fucking time ago and for a good reason. There is no AI or encounter design that can match a good competent high ranking multiplayer session. The irony of the whole thing is that single player gaming is the most softcore casual thing that exists in the gaming world today. It is like watching some nerd go to the gym and brag about being able to bench 100 lb to his scrawny borderline physically dystrophic friend.

While i understand what you mean, i wholeheardtly disagree with your "multiplayer games are mechanically superior" statement; this idea that somehow multiplayer games are inherently more difficult and require more skill is just weird, since different types of games require diffrent types of skill sets.

Here's an example, i personally consider myself to be a pretty good player when it comes to games that require reflexes and quick thinking like competitve tactical shooter games (cs go, insurgency etc.....) however when i tried to play "Oxygen Not Included" which is a singleplayer game about base building and resource managment, no matter how hard i tried i sucked at it, because the game demanded a lot of micro management from the player which is something i am just really bad at.

The reason for this is because different games test different skills in the player, and the difficulty of a game can vary from one player to another depending on the skill set that each player posseses. Skill isn't measured by some sort of unified "skill meter" or something so you can't really make some sort of braod statement that singleplayer games are more casual then competitve ones in general.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The day this forum starts having remotely consistent views that can deconstruct why Witcher 3 is popamole and Planescape is not, is perhaps when people here can start to be taken seriously. Both games have good stories and absolutely abysmal gameplay in every single way that counts. I can only conclude that the usage of the word "popamole" is purely symbolic virtue signaling.

...because one has RPG style menu mediated combat and one has action based combat. Popamole = easy and stupid action gameplay.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The day this forum starts having remotely consistent views that can deconstruct why Witcher 3 is popamole and Planescape is not, is perhaps when people here can start to be taken seriously. Both games have good stories and absolutely abysmal gameplay in every single way that counts. I can only conclude that the usage of the word "popamole" is purely symbolic virtue signaling.

...because one has RPG style menu mediated combat and one has action based combat. Popamole = easy and stupid action gameplay.

The word action just hides the fact that they are both abysmally stupid and easy. Prefixing your statement with "action" is just mental gymnastics to excuse this blatant inconsistency.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
the truth is they transitioned to a mechanically superior genre of multiplayer games a long fucking time ago and for a good reason. There is no AI or encounter design that can match a good competent high ranking multiplayer session. The irony of the whole thing is that single player gaming is the most softcore casual thing that exists in the gaming world today. It is like watching some nerd go to the gym and brag about being able to bench 100 lb to his scrawny borderline physically dystrophic friend.

While i understand what you mean, i wholeheardtly disagree with your "multiplayer games are mechanically superior" statement; this idea that somehow multiplayer games are inherently more difficult and require more skill is just weird, since different types of games require diffrent types of skill sets.

Here's an example, i personally consider myself to be a pretty good player when it comes to games that require reflexes and quick thinking like competitve tactical shooter games (cs go, insurgency etc.....) however when i tried to play "Oxygen Not Included" which is a singleplayer game about base building and resource managment, no matter how hard i tried i sucked at it, because the game demanded a lot of micro management from the player which is something i am just really bad at.

The reason for this is because different games test different skills in the player, and the difficulty of a game can vary from one player to another depending on the skill set that each player posseses. Skill isn't measured by some sort of unified "skill meter" or something so you can't really make some sort of braod statement that singleplayer games are more casual then competitve ones in general.

Yea I didn't mean it that way - just edgy wording. I agree single player games can be great mechanically, it is just that a lot of games worshipped here are anything but that. I enjoy them despite being mechanical shit shows.

barghwata

Savant
Yea I didn't mean it that way - just edgy wording. I agree single player games can be great mechanically, it is just that a lot of games worshipped here are anything but that. I enjoy them despite being mechanical shit shows.
I see, that makes alot more sense.

The word action just hides the fact that they are both abysmally stupid and easy. Prefixing your statement with "action" is just mental gymnastics to excuse this blatant inconsistency.
As for the papamole thing, i think it's more directed at games that prioritise action oriented combat over stats and character building, now i only played witcher 3 for about 15 hours so i am not really one to judge but from the little i played the game it did seem like the combat was much more action oriented, and it didn't seem like the character building was all that important or impactful to how you play the game, i might be wrong tho.
While PS:T did have garbage gameplay, you can't reasonably say it's not a game where your character build mattered.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

Most rpg games become so braindead you just click on the thing and it dies, with no tactical positioning required, compare that to the Witcher 3 which is a game I really dislike and at least you have to take into account your positioning and timing of attacks

Yet many games here are hailed as tactical masterpieces when they have 1/10 the tactics required, and the only tactic you need is, is my sword skill high enough

And that's aod

Mustawd

I don’t think anyone needs to seriously take the opinion of someone who uses the term “rpg games”.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I don’t think anyone needs to seriously take the opinion of someone who uses the term “rpg games”.
At least I know the definition of words, most people here dont

If you don't know what words mean you can disregard a lot because you aren't intelligent enough to understand it

Mustawd

only tactic you need is, is my sword skill high enough

Tactics =//= strategy
thesaurus.com/browse/tactic

Seems most of you don't know what words mean

thesaurus.com/browse/strategy

At least I know the definition of words, most people here dont

If you don't know what words mean you can disregard a lot because you aren't intelligent enough to understand it

giphy.gif

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I made one minor slipup and know that rpg means role playing game

meanwhile retards like you dont understand that tactics and strategy mean the same thing in the dictionary

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom