Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codexian GOTY 2019

Chose the one true ruller of 2019!

• Total voters

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, I understand the dissapointment in Cainarsky. People expexlcted something brilliant but got something okayish. But the intensity... I thought that by this time the Codex should be used to getting only dissapointment from the great ones of old.

Look, if you wanna play a game about what asexual dangerhairs want from their dates, go right ahead.
Mate,have you played TOW??? Those great legends of old had delivered the most asexual tranny RPG of all times lol.

I am about 2/3 through the game (level 23, finishing Monarch). There is one asexual character so far. Sure, the gameworld is not a very sensual one. There are no prostititutes, even in Fallbrook, where they should definately be. Few marriages, even fewer happy ones. Some romances, but not very numerous. Propably it has something to do with the hard living conditions in the colony, but still...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
At least TOW has several nice looking ladies, even if they tend to have shorter hair. While I enjoyed Greedfall, it was really difficult to find a single lady easy on the eye on Teer Fradee.
If you want some sexy to go along with your poz, might as well pick a better franchise, comrade))
FNSzCh9.jpg

If CoNY is anything to go by, I am less pessimistic about the narrative design of VtMB2 in terms of poz. At least in comparison with TOW.

Coteries of New York do look like a visual novel though.

Well, games today can create nice looking ladies. The Witchers did it, and even low budget simply bad games like Everreach: Project Eden managed to achieve this feat. The Spiders were closer to this goal in Technomancer. Don't know what really happened in Greedfall.

This was a really poor year, I only played Disco from this list, so I have to vote for that. It's not a bad little game either, but as an rpg it's pretty meh.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
The second top for me this year is Enderal. It's a Skyrim TC mod, but it's much better in every way possible.
Well, it's 2019 Steam release and mod, not a proper 2019 title. But I recommend it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I won't argue that it s a good RPG year,but not everything is trash. You sound like jaded old man at this point,it is not good judgement but prejudice and an excuse about the lack of interest. Nearly half the games in this list are alright in their own way.
A lot of people here want a particular experience, and none of those are it.

Skdursh

Savant
Seems like a pretty lean year because I haven't been overly impressed by any of the major RPG releases, so I'm just going to do what I do whenever I can't decide what game to choose.

I'm gonna choose ELEX.

Coteries of New York do look like a visual novel though.

Coteries of New York IS a visual novel.

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
Gujian3 - A felipepepe recommendation. A Chink Action RPG that looks interesting.

This game features always-online DRM with a forced cloud-save system. You cannot save the game or load a previous save without being directly connected to the internet. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone on that basis alone unless they're a representative of the Chinese government.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahaha it seems that Disco fucked over The outer cuckz even in the goty award show lol. And people here were saying that casualtards really liked the outer cuckz lol.

Atchodas

Augur
The only people who liked TOW are die hard obsidian fanboys who would pay money for Sawyers turd with obsidian stamp on it, no surprise those are minority

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking at the list, two observations:

1. Boy, 2019 has been a bad year for RPGs.
2. Disco Elysium, no contest. It's also the only game I've played from this list.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

2. Disco Elysium, no contest. It's also the only game I've played from this list.

I believe characteristic feature of this year is the fact we got several mediocre, not revolutionary, but well polished and relatively bug free releases - Greedfall, The Outer Worlds. I played them both to completion bit still consider Disco Elysium (another bug free but also brilliant game) the GOTY 2019.

vazha

Arcane
The second top for me this year is Enderal. It's a Skyrim TC mod, but it's much better in every way possible.
Well, it's 2019 Steam release and mod, not a proper 2019 title. But I recommend it.
Couldn't agree more. An incredible effort that completely eclipses the original. Quests, especially the undercity questlines, are some of the best-written ones I ve seen in a long, long time.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I believe characteristic feature of this year is the fact we got several mediocre, not revolutionary, but well polished and relatively bug free releases - Greedfall, The Outer Worlds. I played them both to completion bit still consider Disco Elysium (another bug free but also brilliant game) the GOTY 2019.
Greedfall is one of the few on the list which I've heard of and will probably give it a try in 2020. I just spent July-December without a videocard, probably would have tried it out sooner otherwise.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Schizophrenic Communist Simulator is the only one I've played on that list so everything else is shit by default.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Greedfall is one of the few on the list which I've heard of and will probably give it a try in 2020. I just spent July-December without a videocard, probably would have tried it out sooner otherwise.
GreedFall is a good game,i enjoyed it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Greedfall is too bloated and has not much of interesting content between a good beginning and surprisingly captivating endgame. It should last for 30 hours like other Spiders rpgs, not 60 hours.

The butter is simply spread too thin. I prefered the modest scope of TOW. The devs at Obsidian at least knew what they are working with and cut most of the filler.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hm, I had like 6 or so P:K complete runs in 2019 so I barely played anything else in first half of the year. Among what I've played in the second:
- Disco Elysium, took 3 days out of my life completely and I do not care about genres this much.
- Legend of Amberland, very enjoyable and absolutely cute blobber, but dungeons are a bit too simple
- Greedfall, utterly mediocre game that I really liked
- The Outer Worlds, uttterly mediocre game that embodies everything a hate about nu-Obsidian
- Operencia: The Stolen Sun, I still in the middle of my half forgotten run but... damn if I like my party lot less talkative in the blobber. And skill trees just sad to look at. Nice maps though.
- Druidstone: tried it for a couple of hours. Not good enough that I would care about it being not an RPG with any stretch of terminology.

So nothing on the 2019 list I liked enough, gameplay-wise, to replay like crazy, so Disco Elysium took my personal GOTY for being beautiful, sad and funny in all the right places.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom