Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why are you so butthurt about people not liking the game you did?
Imho, felipepepe cares more about his collected over the years data, creative math and cool colored graph (no sarcasm) with an interesting pattern than about Deadfire an its place in particular.

For me Deadfire is like 6.5-8 (correlates with graph) game depending on tastes. As my tastes go - it sucks and anyone who puts in in the same sentence with "worthy Baldur's Gate successor" deserves some pain.
Ahhh some times people just end up liking a shit game,everyone has their guilty pleasure :).

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD is further proof of this.

ATOM is better than both those 2 games. :smug:
Go back to school kid, no amount of "hey look at me" will let you in the big boys club.
Poor man's Fallout is certainly not better.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD is further proof of this.

Go back to school kid, no amount of "hey look at me" will let you in the big boys club.

Poor man's Fallout is better than any of the original Fallout's :lol::lol::lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Poor man's Fallout is better than any of the original Fallout's :lol::lol::lol:
Only if you are Russian and cannot read English.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I disagree Felipe, with your assertion that a top % of games from any poll constitute a new classic. The polls are done regardless of the year it is, and so you will by design always get a top 5, 10, 25, games. To then say that because we did polls in x decade, the top 10 (or whatever number you want) games must be new classics, is wrong. Top games in polls do not a new classic make. The only metric you obtain is that the games were simply ranked highly in those polls. But it is all meaningless when the quality of the best games today is still worse than the best games of yesterday. They can not achieve a new classic status unless they manage to equal or exceed yesterdays games to hold their own. I'm not saying there wasn't a game of the past decade that did not achieve this (Grimoire did), but your polls do not measure this metric and attempting to just declare that because there was a top 49 or 50 games in the poll that they are now new classics is wrong. At the end of the day if I finish the new games and then go right back to playing the old games, the new games have failed to become new classics.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I disagree Felipe, with your assertion that a top % of games from any poll constitute a new classic. The polls are done regardless of the year it is, and so you will by design always get a top 5, 10, 25, games. To then say that because we did polls in x decade, the top 10 (or whatever number you want) games must be new classics, is wrong. Top games in polls do not a new classic make. The only metric you obtain is that the games were simply ranked highly in those polls. But it is all meaningless when the quality of the best games today is still worse than the best games of yesterday. They can not achieve a new classic status unless they manage to equal or exceed yesterdays games to hold their own. I'm not saying there wasn't a game of the past decade that did not achieve this (Grimoire did), but your polls do not measure this metric and attempting to just declare that because there was a top 49 or 50 games in the poll that they are now new classics is wrong. At the end of the day if I finish the new games and then go right back to playing the old games, the new games have failed to become new classics.
Lol. Go away Troll.
:timetoburn:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Just make a pool for the best games of 2010s and then we can see what are the classics and what not. Simple as that.
No that's what I'm saying you can't really accomplish. You can make a pool of 5000 shit games released in 20 years but the best 50 aren't automatically classics on merit of winning the special olympics. The only thing such polls accomplish is indicating which are the least bad games of a selected group.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
We should make the best rpgs of 2010s when we get to 2030. This way people will vote without the hype they had for a game that just released.
This is a good point. We know all about the possible effects of nostalgia bias, but the opposite is also very common (especially among casuals and forces of decline) with whatever is the newest, most recent in your mind to be seen as the best because new things must always be better than their predecessors, surely, because otherwise there would be no point in making new things.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So Metroidvanias are Rpgs? Its a great looking game, though I am wondering where the list of RPG types are described. I've heard of shooter cutem-ups with levels and even street fighter-esque games with levels and skill allotments.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The real RPG is the friends we made along the way.
treasure.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
ecmJ4m7.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, actual RPGs weren't released this year or what?

There were, but nothing great.
I can name one at the top of my head - Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest. It was a standalone expansion, though, so it might not count. But anyway, how is Bloodstained an RPG? We are dangerously close to becoming Video Game Codex.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's also worth noticing the amount of people who played each game, DE was played by almost 70% of respondents, everything else is 20ish or less with the exception of Outer Worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom