Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
Not only is encounter design bad, but action economy is screwed, game becomes too easy + too long, enemy AI is terrible and combat lacks any interesting options to actually validate sequential actions (no counter spelling, no prepared actions, no cover, no elevation, positioning, no anything).

This is true, the AI can't turn based at all. But it doesn't use any better tactics in real time mode.
Yeah but for real time its abilities are enough. It doesn't need to concern itself with things like 5 ft stepping or thinking decisions through multiple turns DOS1 style.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It's funny to see all the butthurt about the TB announcement. I've been seriously considering increasing my pledge by a few hundred dollars over it.
There's barely and butt hurt. Stop being a dumb bitch. Like 5 people said some things and half of them took away their pledge (probably as a meme)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
At the end of the day, they are going to focus on RTwP and I don't think that's going to suffer. TB is going to be an afterthought at best, so people who are wrong in love with RTwP don't have anything to worry about.

Efe

Erudite
Crispy arcanum failed to implement same rules for both modes of combat whereas kingmaker already strictly adheres to existing rules with only major difference being turns taking place simultaneously.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Honestly they should have offered TB in a DLC or something... the AI was already dumb as fuck with RTWP... now they have to make it "smart" for two different worlds. I am lowering my expectations :(

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Pink Eye, we get it. Please give it a rest.
I appreciate his dedication. Makes me want to take up the Druid cause. I'm taking notes from him and I'm thinking of spamming in order to get more Druid transformations. I want a Druid archetype all about transforming. Maybe even a mythic class where you can eventually become a tree.

Shadenuat

Arcane
At the end of the day, they are going to focus on RTwP and I don't think that's going to suffer. TB is going to be an afterthought at best, so people who are wrong in love with RTwP don't have anything to worry about.
I don't understand what's the point in accepting mediocrity.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Let's empower "trash mobs" by having one "mini-boss" in front who can be more powerful thug or unique caster.
Trash mobs aren't distraction if gameplay is fun and your battle is rewarded.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd love to see a smarter AI stretch goal. I really don't care what homosexual #1 is going to say about gilf queen or how bisexual #3 is going to react to my decision of exterminating all furries, so better stretch goals please.

I don't understand what's the point in accepting mediocrity.

RTwP by default is mediocre at best, so no great loss there.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I appreciate his dedication. Makes me want to take up the Druid cause. I'm taking notes from him and I'm thinking of spamming in order to get more Druid transformations. I want a Druid archetype all about transforming. Maybe even a mythic class where you can eventually become a tree.
We're getting drowned by this RTWP vs TB. So we're going to have bid our time and wait. But I hear you druid bro.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I dont understand how you can accept dumb ai in rtwp but it suddenly becomes a problem in turn based?
Multiple enemies with dumb ai who can act at the same time can still be dangerous. Multiple enemies with dumb ai who act 1 after 1 aren't.

Even in what people consider "best" tactical rpgs of all time, like JA2, I layered levels in exotic artistic tapestry of 25 enemy corpses by shooting them as they run to me around the corner. And only spells that game had were mustard grenades.

For TB to be fun you need sequential actions to create fun scenarios, like in DOS1. That requires implementing special mechanics. Without it, you just get diet coke tactics.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Anyone who thinks that turn-based and RTwP are compatible in the same game needs to take another look at Arcanum. The two are mutually exclusive in my book, and it's not just because of trivial surface-level things like how long it takes to get through what you apparently feel are unnecessary encounters.

Well, I don't disagree, but... I don't think it's impossible for the game to offer both ways, but I do think it's impossible for a game to have a good encounter design offering both modes simultaneously.

Maybe something like POE2 did, but going way further. You choose one of the modes and "commit" to play the rest of the game that way. Then, the game can be adapted and fine-tuned to the specific characteristics of the chosen combat type. However, that's essentially doing 2 whole games worth of combat/encouter design in 1, which I believe goes waaaaaay beyond their scope.

I'm kinda happy that they're doing it, but I don't see it ending well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Even though Druid is one of my go-to classes, Druid transformations were always lackluster in every RPG ever. Shifter in NWN was cool, but it required an immense amount of feats to reach the level of a mediocre fighter.

Mortmal

Arcane
Even though Druid is one of my go-to classes, Druid transformations were always lackluster in every RPG ever. Shifter in NWN was cool, but it required an immense amount of feats to reach the level of a mediocre fighter.
5E circle of the moon druid is very powerful and versatile. It's so much better that i dont see any reasons to pick another archetype. Only limit is the Dm, as you allow type of animals the druid could see and shapeshift to, high CR ones . In a primeval setting with dinosaurs its king.

Efe

Erudite
I dont understand how you can accept dumb ai in rtwp but it suddenly becomes a problem in turn based?
Multiple enemies with dumb ai who can act at the same time can still be dangerous. Multiple enemies with dumb ai who act 1 after 1 aren't.

Even in what people consider "best" tactical rpgs of all time, like JA2, I layered levels in exotic artistic tapestry of 25 enemy corpses by shooting them as they run to me around the corner. And only spells that game had were mustard grenades.
sounds to me like you should play something else if you hate even JA too..

fyi, I heard warcraft reforged was looking for players...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Drowed, I see your point, but I don't think what you're proposing or imagining is something that can practically be pulled off. You'd essentially be asking Owlcat to design two separate games.

Efe

Erudite
they already said you can change modes on the fly... so unless they take some major decisions his idea is just wishful thinking at the point

Shadenuat

Arcane
sounds to me like you should play something else if you hate even JA too
I don't hate JA, but do you really think that D&D out of the box is actually a good tactical wargame in comparison? Good enough to cum in pants cause now you roll your attack dice in tb?

I don't really believe that, or that TB mode makes Pathfinder inherently better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom