Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pretty sure that sorc only good at CRPG's not PnP
In PnP D&D 3.x Sorcerer is one of the strongest classes. It's behind Wizard, Cleric and Druid, but it's still in the top 5% overall

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sorcerer is immensely powerful in PnP, it just doesn't have as much ways to break a campaign as the other spellcasters. It's still campaign-breaking, though.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorcerer is immensely powerful in PnP, it just doesn't have as much ways to break a campaign as the other spellcasters. It's still campaign-breaking, though.

The problem is when the DM doesn't make harder to find scrolls to the wizard and for sorcerers, allow a silver dragon sorcerer to pick fire based spells despite it making no sense... If armor piercing, incendiary, etc rounds, fullautos, anti materiel rifles, are outlawed in many places on the real world, scrolls like knock or fireballs be outlawed in many places in a fantasy world makes perfectly sense. This doesn't means that you wizard can't get, only that is not that he can learn with a single visit into the local shop.

Make sorcerers roleplay his bloodline in the spell selection and make wizard work for the scrolls.

But in general, on 3.5e : Divine > Arcane > Martial.

People always compare sorcs/wizs with fighters/barbs but NEVER to cleric or druids who are much stronger IMO. Divine casters can do almost everything that a arcane can do, in armor and with self/group healing, greater hit points and better saves... Witches in pathfinder will be interesting because it blurs the line between arcane and divine.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Eh sorc not supposed to learn spells with scrolls man. Wizard is more powerful then sorc in PnP. In CRPG you just learn fireball and some other nukes and you'll be fine as sorc.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Eh sorc not supposed to learn spells with scrolls man. Wizard is more powerful then sorc in PnP. In CRPG you just learn fireball and some other nukes and you'll be fine as sorc.

I know, i was talking about forcing the sorcerer to pick spells who makes sense for his bloodline
And making harder for the Wizard obtain certain scrolls

Sorry if it was not clear. I even edited to see if is now more clear.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The problem is when the DM doesn't make harder to find scrolls to the wizard and for sorcerers, allow a silver dragon sorcerer to pick fire based spells despite it making no sense... If armor piercing, incendiary, etc rounds, fullautos, anti materiel rifles, are outlawed in many places on the real world, scrolls like knock or fireballs be outlawed in many places in a fantasy world makes perfectly sense. This doesn't means that you wizard can't get, only that is not that he can learn with a single visit into the local shop.

Make sorcerers roleplay his bloodline in the spell selection and make wizard work for the scrolls.

People always compare sorcs/wizs with fighters/barbs but NEVER to cleric or druids who are much stronger IMO. Divine casters can do almost everything that a arcane can do, in armor and with self/group healing, greater hit points and better saves... Witches in pathfinder will be interesting because it blurs the line between arcane and divine.
Only noob DMs are afraid of Fireballs and make it difficulty for their casters to get them and use them.

Experienced DMs know that allowing Fireballs lets your campaign run easier and makes the player happy to have something flashy but less useful to cast. If you block Fireballs, you get players that CC the shit out of your NPCs. And the most irritating are those that try to Charm or Dominate everyone.

Only noob DMs are afraid of Fireballs and make it difficulty for their casters to get them and use them.

Experienced DMs know that allowing Fireballs lets your campaign run easier and makes the player happy to have something flashy but less useful to cast. If you block Fireballs, you get players that CC the shit out of your NPCs. And the most irritating are those that try to Charm or Dominate everyone.
Agree, I think flashy mages are more manageable, than let's say monks who Dodge everything and ignore every damage type resistance in existence.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Was just an example and i din't said "ban fireballs", i said "make more harder to get a scroll than just walking into the local shop". Ban completely this AoE spells only makes sense in certain campaigns(ie - low magic campaings) or campaings where you wanna outnumbered encounters to be something that the party needs to avoid. As for dominate and charm, should have consequences for failing in their use. I believe that powerful spells should require more work from the player than just leveling up. Is just my opinion. Just like powerful magical weaponry, nobody gets a +5 spear of flames who deals additional 2d6 fire damage for free.

Efe

Erudite
so you approve how kingmaker reveals some of spells in shop only after you level up your kingdoms magic stat?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Was just an example and i din't said "ban fireballs", i said "make more harder to get a scroll than just walking into the local shop". Ban completely this AoE spells only makes sense in certain campaigns(ie - low magic campaings) or campaings where you wanna outnumbered encounters to be something that the party needs to avoid. As for dominate and charm, should have consequences for failing in their use. I believe that powerful spells should require more work from the player than just leveling up. Is just my opinion. Just like powerful magical weaponry, nobody gets a +5 spear of flames who deals additional 2d6 fire damage for free.
In one PnP session while waiting for DM we did a lvl 16 monk vs lvl 16 wizard duel. Wizard cast Reverse Gravity and then summoned a bunch of shit to kill the helpess monk :D

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In one PnP session while waiting for DM we did a lvl 16 monk vs lvl 16 wizard duel. Wizard cast Reverse Gravity and then summoned a bunch of shit to kill the helpess monk :D

With time to the wizard casts his spells, he has the advantage BUT if the combat starts in CQB or if the monk caught the wizard in surprise, he can knock him down and punch him to his death...

PS : Clerics are more powerful than Wizards and i only see people saying that Wizardas are OP...

ArchAngel

Arcane

With time to the wizard casts his spells, he has the advantage BUT if the combat starts in CQB or if the monk caught the wizard in surprise, he can knock him down and punch him to his death...

PS : Clerics are more powerful than Wizards and i only see people saying that Wizardas are OP...
These battles are done with initiative rolls and at 30 feet distance. Also long term spells are allowed to be cast (spells that last hours per caster level and things like Contingency). Contingency itself already fuck up anything Monk can do. You just do Dimension Door 300 feet into Air when you come to half life. And vs Grapple and Trip you got one Dimension Door with no casting motions prepared (and Silent as well if you are especially paranoid).

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Was this linked in here yet?

Interview with Mishulin, I'm surprised they gave interview to that small channel, just a few subscribers, or is that actually bigger site?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

good god stop posting, its obvious you dont know shit about anything. Monk is one of the weakest classes in PF, and while unchained helped somewhat, there is absolutley no way a monk can beat a wizard who is competent (except maybe at low levels).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

On 3.5e, clerics/druids have access to AoE OHK spells like implosion that bypass death immunity(unlike wail of the banshee), depending the alignment, they can spontaneous heal or channel negative energy, or spontaneous summon, can cast this spells in armor without casting failure and has better WILL saves; this not mentioning feats like divine shields.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom