Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ipum

Novice
In 3,5 DnD MF can instakill.
" (Ex): Improved Grab use this ability, the mind flayer must hit a Small to Large creature with its tentacle attack. If it gets a hold, it attaches the tentacle to the opponent's head. A mind flayer can grab a Huge or larger creature, but only if it can somehow reach the foe's head.

After a successful grab, the mind flayer can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The opponent can escape with a single successful grapple check or Escape Artist check, but the mind flayer gets a +2 circumstance bonus for every tentacle that was attached at the beginning of the opponent's turn.

Extract (Ex): A mind flayer that begins its turn with all four tentacles attached and successfully maintains its hold automatically extracts the opponent's brain, instantly killing that creature"
That is pretty rare to happen since they are pretty shit at combat. Still a dumb combat rule. Insta kill shit is retarded in any game.
Its touch attack and casters can easily fail grapple check.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Once, years ago, I went to my local gaming store for a demo game of 4e. The officially approved WotC adventure was a linear kobold (or goblin, I can't quite remember) cave with 5ish distinct rooms, each with its own gimmick and unresponsive enemies. And at the end of it was the leader of the kobolds, a White Dragon. At L1. It... did not make a good impression.

I knew that 4e was bad, is very wow like gimmicky but din't expected that level of BS. What module was?

Elex

Arbiter
In 3,5 DnD MF can instakill.
" (Ex): Improved Grab use this ability, the mind flayer must hit a Small to Large creature with its tentacle attack. If it gets a hold, it attaches the tentacle to the opponent's head. A mind flayer can grab a Huge or larger creature, but only if it can somehow reach the foe's head.

After a successful grab, the mind flayer can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The opponent can escape with a single successful grapple check or Escape Artist check, but the mind flayer gets a +2 circumstance bonus for every tentacle that was attached at the beginning of the opponent's turn.

Extract (Ex): A mind flayer that begins its turn with all four tentacles attached and successfully maintains its hold automatically extracts the opponent's brain, instantly killing that creature"
That is pretty rare to happen since they are pretty shit at combat. Still a dumb combat rule. Insta kill shit is retarded in any game.

According to the description, this "insta" kill would take at least 3 rounds with 3 save-checks.
1. Initial grapple by N tentacles.
2. Grapple by the remaining 4-N tentacles.
3. Starting round with all 4 tentacles attached and a check to maintain hold.
In 5e they can kill in 2 round.
Round 1 they grapple with tentacle/stun
round 2 extract brain.

the mind blast (60ft cone) stun for one minute save against int, and few classes have good int save (basically only wizard)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If not for Owlcat I might've gave up on new CRPG games tbh
First, "CRPG games". Second, we've had amazing games put out by independent developers, who are currently producing upcoming new games, and one doesn't even have to compromise with production values any more in order to play and enjoy them. Times are good, man :)

BarbequeMasta

Learned
First, "CRPG games". Second, we've had amazing games put out by independent developers, who are currently producing upcoming new games, and one doesn't even have to compromise with production values any more. Times are good, man :)
Yeah you're right, Realms Beyond for example looks amazing IMO, but I mean since Obsidian effectively kicked the bucket, Bioware been dead for a decade and Larian sucks, there aren't any BIG studios outputting good CRPGs consistently. Indie games for me are a coin flip, they are either pretty good or pretty meh, so it's hard to know what to expect from them.

Last edited:

ChildInTime

Learned

Well shit. Are they serious? No succubus romance for the skeletal mastermind?

So you want that bone polished?!

ezgif-7-a5727fe90efe.gif

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Once, years ago, I went to my local gaming store for a demo game of 4e. The officially approved WotC adventure was a linear kobold (or goblin, I can't quite remember) cave with 5ish distinct rooms, each with its own gimmick and unresponsive enemies. And at the end of it was the leader of the kobolds, a White Dragon. At L1. It... did not make a good impression.

I knew that 4e was bad, is very wow like gimmicky but din't expected that level of BS. What module was?
After some digging, turns out it was the sample dungeon in page 211 of the DMG. Kobold "dungeon", ends with a fight against a CR3 White Dragon. It appears the demo was more demoish than I thought.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In BG2 a single Mind Flayer can disable your entire party and munch through your brains in 2-3 hits (or less if you dumped Int)

just sayin

BG2 mind flayers are an outlier. They had no such "bam you're dead" abilities in IWD2, NWN, or NWN2.
Which is, of course, pure decline. Having your brain eaten should be game over in any system.

NWNs were a black days of the Illithid History - games where 1st level Protection from Evil spell gives full immunity to the most of their super-abilities.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
First, "CRPG games". Second, we've had amazing games put out by independent developers, who are currently producing upcoming new games, and one doesn't even have to compromise with production values any more in order to play and enjoy them. Times are good, man :)

Can you recommend your top five, or point to a good source for rating them?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Since we are filtering by combat system, I guess you are interested in good combat:
Age of Decadence - a new game by Iron Tower is in development. I have less than 50% of the achievements with around 100 hours of playing.
Underrail - with a recently released expansion and a standalone expansion in development. I've only played two characters, I have something like 140 hours and I'm still maybe 100 hours away from the end of the story.
Battle Brothers - also an expansion released last year, another expansion in development.
Each of these has over 100 hours worth of content, and I'm so far from exhausting them. I don't even play that intensively, real life and work/family don't allow me to.

When I get enough of just these three games, I still have untapped reserves like Expeditions: Viking and Expeditions: Conquistador. By the time I've really learned and mastered these games, more will have been released.

If I don't stray into AAA shit at all, maybe there is a chance I can learn everything about the good TB games (just the TB games) before new ones come out. The reality is that I often take detours from TB RPGs with RtwP RPGs or with Hitman/GTA/recently RDR2.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
From reddit:
Ratfolk Memers have spent all of the campaign gaslighting Kitsune and Catfolk as well as spamming Discord chat with their memes.
See, you're gaslighting me, fuckers! I am oppressed minority here! Almost like Latino children on the American border!

Thonius

Arcane
From reddit:
Ratfolk Memers have spent all of the campaign gaslighting Kitsune and Catfolk as well as spamming Discord chat with their memes.
See, you're gaslighting me, fuckers! I am oppressed minority here! Almost like Latino children on the American border!

Huh like those?

I wonder why catfelks and ketsunes got no memes? Oh right because they suck.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The therm "latino" is something that i never understood. Anything from the Argentine descendants of Adolf Eichmann to a Afro Caribbean can be considered one...

------------

Only for me on D&D/Pathfinder, chaos is far more interesting than law?

Barbarian > Fighter
Sorcerer > Wizard
Elves > Manlets(Dwarfes)
Demons > Devils
Azatas > Angels
(...)

Classes and races with chaotic tendencies are far more interesting than the lawful ones. Chaotic planes like the abyss are far better than the hell.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Add NEO:Scavenger to his list. Russian Fallout (ATOM RPG) has gotten pretty good reception here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom