Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
XLjfwDe.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What? Expect an inflated munchkin paradise / thematic mess not unlike HotU, where one becomes bored pretty quickly. I'd take a polished low-to-mid magic setting any day of the week.

Baldur's Gate is a high magical setting. If you wanna low/no magic setting, go play other game.

And hotu is epic. Considered unanimously better than the base OC. Same with Mask of The betrayer. Both are high level adventures /epic level adventures

This is the kind of people Pathfinder was made for - equivalent to a half-literate medieval peasant.

Pathfinder is far above DOS2 on codex list of best RPG's

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
HotU is considered better because OC is one of the worst campaigns we've ever gotten. What these systems need to do is limit the amount (and power/effect) of spells and abilities. There's no need to have 4 rows of spells when 80% of them are buffs and you only use 3 others. Low level D&D has always been the best part of any of the games.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I feel like final dungeons should always be at max level for the whole thing. That way they can actually test your ability and everything you've learned along the way. By the final dungeon you're done progressing, it's time to test all the progression you've gone through.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Mid-level is where its at. Level 8 - 12 or 14.

Low level is ass boring. Might as well play 6 fighters in your party.
Low level is needed to feel awsum at higher level when you can fireball your whole party who called you useless before.

You first have to be kobold shit throwing kiddo crawling through mines of kobold shit, it's part of the package and the most romantic part of rpgs.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are adaptations of D&D to fit low magical settings, even conan. There are no magic above circle 6 there, magic damages your constituition, magical items are extremely rarer, many spells got converted into long rituals and bombarding spells got either removed or requiring ultra expensive reagents. No elves, half dragons and other races But D&D is a high magical setting and Baldur's Gate has the God of homicide literally impregnating a lot of different magical creatures. It is not low fantasy.

Hell, a game who starts with mindflayers vehicles fighting dragons can't be anything but high fantasy.

Yosharian

Arcane
The problem with high level is WotC can't balance for shit. Even 5E isn't balanced. Forcecage for example is utter bullshit. So is Wall of Force.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem with high level is WotC can't balance for shit. Even 5E isn't balanced. Forcecage for example is utter bullshit. So is Wall of Force.

Cool factor >>>> balance.

Keep in mind that the usage of spells from circles 6+ are far more limited on 5E than on 3.5e. A sorcerer on 3.5e could cast 6 time wishes per day...

Yosharian

Arcane

Cool factor >>>> balance.

Keep in mind that the usage of spells from circles 6+ are far more limited on 5E than on 3.5e. A sorcerer on 3.5e could cast 6 time wishes per day...
Yes I agree with that on some level. I had the same thing in mind when I wrote the post - ok Forcecage is completely insane, but it's very cool and rather unique.

However the fact remains that these spells could be at least more balanced really easily. Both Forcecage and Wall of Force could move one, maybe even two spell levels up and STILL be excellent spells worth taking.

When a spell is so good it overshadows everything else on the entire spell level and maybe even the next one, there's a fucking problem.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When a spell is so good it overshadows everything else on the entire spell level and maybe even the next one, there's a fucking problem.

You are right. My point is. On BG2, mind flayers are hard enemies even for high level parties with 6 guys. With a lv cap = 10, 4 guys only has a chance against then if they are nerfed to oblivion but i never played 5e, so IDK if is the case. Nizidramanii'yt took me some efreets and the slayer form to solo. I can't imagine a story about mind flayers with low to mid level setting.

But ToEE level cap is also 10 and you fight a demon lord and even spend some time trying to survive from Iuz, a demi god. The problem is that you fight the demon lord in a gimmicky way...

Yosharian

Arcane

You are right. My point is. On BG2, mind flayers are hard enemies even for high level parties with 6 guys. With a lv cap = 10, 4 guys only has a chance against then if they are nerfed to oblivion but i never played 5e, so IDK if is the case. Nizidramanii'yt took me some efreets and the slayer form to solo. I can't imagine a story about mind flayers with low to mid level setting.

But ToEE level cap is also 10 and you fight a demon lord and even spend some time trying to survive from Iuz, a demi god. The problem is that you fight the demon lord in a gimmicky way...
Yeah in BG2 a bunch of Mind Flayers would shit all over a party of level 10 guys. Dunno what enemies you face exactly in BG3 though.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Yeah in BG2 a bunch of Mind Flayers would shit all over a party of level 10 guys. Dunno what enemies you face exactly in BG3 though.

Illithids are CR 7.

Yosharian

Arcane

Illithids are CR 7.
In BG2 a single Mind Flayer can disable your entire party and munch through your brains in 2-3 hits (or less if you dumped Int)

just sayin

Generic-Giant-Spider

A lot of why I prefer BG1 over BG2 is because it was grand but on a different scale. It was high fantasy still, but a lot more reserved and kept itself grounded as best it could. In BG2 you're just beheading Illithids, slaying dragons and bashing down Beholders and even though they still have their deadliness when you're clearing out dungeons of them they tend to lose a lot of their natural fear factor. I truly believe those types of monsters are a good case of less is more. Kill one or two Illithids and you'll remember their names, but when you're downing 20 of them? They become jobbers.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Lone illithid for level 7 party - scary shit and never again. Dungeon of illithids for lvl 20 party - just overgrown kobolds.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
RPGs are generally better in the lower levels,you do need to think more strategical and adapt more frequently. In the lover levels it is a lot more fun levelling than later on,also in a lot of cases you have to look out for your supplies.

In the higher levels you are kind off set in a path and already build yourself a character and a party. That way the combats become more repetitive. Levelling is done more mechanically,you just dump the points in the way you had chosen.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A lot of why I prefer BG1 over BG2 is because it was grand but on a different scale. It was high fantasy still, but a lot more reserved and kept itself grounded as best it could. In BG2 you're just beheading Illithids, slaying dragons and bashing down Beholders and even though they still have their deadliness when you're clearing out dungeons of them they tend to lose a lot of their natural fear factor. I truly believe those types of monsters are a good case of less is more. Kill one or two Illithids and you'll remember their names, but when you're downing 20 of them? They become jobbers.
Still it is very satisfactory to bash octopus heads :smug:. Also it really depends on the level you go to play with them. In BG2 the sewer dungeons could be explored pretty early on. For level 8-10 party it was quite the adventure crossing that bridge in the rift area. The game is the most fun when you are low/mid level and tackling high level beasties.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What is your point mate? You could meet them with a 8-10 level party. There is one in the gnome side quest and there is a hive of them in the temple district's sewer. You clear that shit in chapter 2.

The worst part of BG2 is that they made underdark a cut off that you could only visit during the main quest. That way they made it feel that everything after chapter 3 is linear progression,which is not good for BG game. That is why in most of my replays i finish it after chapter 3,even if the underdark have some fun dungeons. Also the ToB is pretty shit,it just linear dungeon with boss killing every now and then,meh.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What is your point mate? You could meet them with a 8-10 level party. There is one in the gnome side quest and there is a hive of them in the temple district's sewer. You clear that shit in chapter 2.

The worst part of BG2 is that they made underdark a cut off that you could only visit during the main quest. That way they made it feel that everything after chapter 3 is linear progression,which is not good for BG game. That is why in most of my replays i finish it after chapter 3,even if the underdark have some fun dungeons. Also the ToB is pretty shit,it just linear dungeon with boss killing every now and then,meh.

I responded to your rating and my point was that an illithid isn't a high-level creature and it makes for a good villain in a low-mid level adventure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom