Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's Silent Hill: Homecoming?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm a big fan of the series, I enjoyed immensely both the first and the second game, liked the third, and hated the fourth because it was too arcadish and there was no fucking flashlight which means a major atmosphere breaker for me. The PSP's one is OK-ish too but still worse than the third. How's the fifth? Would I enjoy it?

Micmu

Magister
Heh I am somehow a big fan of the series, too, and never even bothered inquiring about it. Probably has to do with the "next-gen" times and the fact that everything has been "excerpted" from the Silent Hill already (as the IV shows).
So. How big shit is it then? :)

A user named cat

It's completely average. Think of an American remake of a Japanese horror movie, except in video game form. They had the right ideas, just bad execution and it's far too rushed. Hardly any scares either and the PC got a bad port job. I got bored with it about halfway in and haven't touched it in months. Still, it is better than part 4 and has at least a Silent Hill feel to it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Silent Hill 2 <- Silent Hill <- Silent Hill 3 <- Silent Hill Homecoming <- Silent Hill 4

If you are/were a fan of the series, like I WAS (until I played SH4) you may give it a try, but when this game will cost no more than 20$/Euro or less. It's pretty average, as Phantasma said. After 3 or 4 hours I uninstalled it - not because it's bad but to make space on my HDD for another game. After SH4 and SH Homecoming I have completely lost interest in the series. I guess after great SH2 they can't do anything good anymore.

A user named cat

Konjad said:
Silent Hill 2 <- Silent Hill <- Silent Hill 3 <- Silent Hill Homecoming <- Silent Hill 4
Completely agree with that order. I really don't know why they started messing with the formula after part 2. The first two games were brilliant in drawing you into the game world and building tension. Part 3 brought about the typical in-your-face horror shit and then it just got worse. Can't forget the stupid PSP title as well. It's like they turned to Rob Zombie and asked for his opinion on how horror should be done. Total disaster and retardation.

Phelot

Arcane
I bought the third one on a whim... it was fun I guess the first play through. I guess none of these games are worth playing again.

PS. I BOUGHT IT CUZ I WANTED 2 PLAY AS A TEENAGE GRRRL

I don't think it's even better than Silent Hill 4. Especially given the fact that "The Room" wasn't supposed to be a Silent Hill game in the first place, it was at first developed as a separate game by Team Silent. Silent Hill 3 was supposed to be the end of series and it's definitely apparent. If you try to compare "The Room" and "Homecoming" as SH games, than yeah, the latter does have more Silent Hill feel to it, but it doesn't make it a better game. "The Room" is a higher quality game as far as I'm concerned. At least I finished it several times. I can't bring myself to finish "Homecoming" yet, instead I started SH series runthrough from the very first game, so maybe I'll be able to eventualy play through it this way.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I enjoyed part 1 the most because it was a fresh experience. I remember seeing one preview of it before I bought it, and when I started playing it it blew me away. I'm a huge fan of horror and part 1 made the hair on my neck stand more than on one occasion. Part 2 was more polished, in every respect better than the original, but the novelty was gone. It all went downhill from there.

I couldn't get my copy of Homecoming to run past the beginning bit no matter what. I tried dozens of patches, all for shit so I sold it on ebay. But from what I saw it was exactly what you guys said. A western remake. They took elements that had psychological meanings for the avatars in different SH games put it in a blender and then sort of mixed it and arranged it on a plate with a bit of garlic bread on the side. All the content is there but it's not really put together in a coherent meaningful way the other games did.

A user named cat

Problem with the Room was it featured headache inducing elements that completely ruined what could've been an entertaining game. The invincible and annoying ghosts, the Metroid Prime-like backtracking and the complete lack of inventory space killed it. So I'd easily put Homecoming ahead of it simply because of those horrible faults. That's not saying much anyhow.

Jinxed said:
I couldn't get my copy of Homecoming to run past the beginning bit no matter what. I tried dozens of patches, all for shit so I sold it on ebay.
I had the same problem too at first, until I realized the game requires a dual core or better. After I got my Phenom 940, game ran fine aside from some slowdown issues in certain areas further in. First game I ever came across that'd lock up on a single core cpu and refuse to even play the opening video sequence.

Solivagant

Novice
I've been a Silent Hill fan since Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut hit for the PS2 and I loved Silent Hill: Homecoming, and it should have been called Silent Hill V as originally planned, it deserved it.

Sure, it has a completely different team behind it, and it has failings, mainly the rushed art assets (the best looking model is Alex followed by the boss monsters), but the story is Silent Hill and the game does a good job telling it.

While the SH games are usually about 4 or 5 persons on the town, Homecoming features a larger cast. Some characters get very little development because of that, but Alex and his family go through decent character growth, and the game is about them and how they, and their hometown, relate to Silent Hill.

The game portrays, for the first time in detail, how another town would react to the presence of Silent Hill, and what would its inhabitants do in order to protect their own.

It's not a very scary game, but I don't think the series was ever about that, but rather about making the player feel slight dread and eerieness, and I think Homecoming succeeds on that count, even if not to the extent of the previous games.

Well I really enjoyed it and the care the writers had in piecing its story. What they should have done was perhaps start telling it a bit earlier in the game, as its only about halfway through that the story becomes understandable.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Silent Hill: Homecoming Review (my first review)

Where do I begin, how about March of 2009, that seems good. I was a college boy at the time and lived in an apartment with 2 other dudes. There were also girls that lived upstairs, but I never talked to them. Anyway, I had just recently became interested in Silent Hill after playing Silent Hill 2 and 4. Lucky for me I had access to Xbox 360 at the time and with Silent Hill Homecoming just released I thought maybe I'll start there next. Boy, was I in for a surprise. First of all lets talk about the public atmosphere surrounding the franchise at the time. Team Silent was out of the picture and Konami wanted a western developer to take over the reins of horror. Prior to Homecoming Climax studios released Silent Hill Origins. Origins, which I would later play was a good example of a developer playing it safe. The game was released for ps2 and psp so the graphics were sub par, the fog was there, the cult was there and a man struggling with his past was also the protagonist. As a prequel Origins didn't really bring about any revelations or really fill in many blanks, it was just a sub par decent Silent Hill rendition. Expectations were pretty low, the fans wanted Japanese to bring back Team Silent, some wanted them to shut down Silent Hill forever. I wanted more.

In comes Silent Hill Homecoming. The next game that was current gen at the time was Silent Hill Homecoming. The developing team is Double Helix. Having no horror games under their belts they were up for a monumental task of carrying out the next batch of scare. But what happened? They produced a GREAT Silent Hill game. Let me digress. The graphics and atmosphere of SHH was top notch. The fog, the abandoned desolate town and horror in the daylight themes were nailed. The only drawback was that sometimes the flashlight wasn't bright enough (I didn't notice). Most of the common areas you explore in Shepards Glenn are churches, hotels, hospitals and demonic underworlds and of course the town. The visuals at the time were cutting edge, so good they were that critics of the series complained that some scenes looked just like the movie. That's actually a compliment. Scattered throughout the world are notes and writings that slowly reveal the plight of the town and residents who had resided there. Finding mysterious notes and knowing that somehow they existed in this place is a sereal feeling. It's a feeling you get that no other game can offer you. You feel that you are so close to the real world and the nightmare at the same time. Almost like your looking out the sunny window from deep inside a dark and empty building.

The game took place in the town of Sheperd's Glenn. People are going missing, the streets end and drop off to oblivion and strange monsters lurk about. You begin in a hospital and need to find your brother who eludes you at every crevice. But then you wake up for real in a tractor trailer. Eventually you learn that your parents were members of a cult. In order to appease the cult's God members had to sacrifice one child every generation. Somehow things went bad, as you will see (no spoilers). The town begins to fall apart as the cult loses control and its up to you to find your brother and escape Sheperd's Glenn while uncovering the story of horror. The protagonist Alex Shepard, a battle hardened war vet returns to town and must solve the puzzles and ultimately save his brother Josh.

One of the biggest complaints of SHH is the combat. A lot of fans of the series were satisfied with the bare bones shoot or swing mechanic and little else. However SHH brought a new combat system to the table. Now you can lock on to enemies, dock, dodge, roll, and strike with heavy or weak attacks. The combat was quite difficult for new players and many quit as a result and then complained about the game being generic and abused. But, as I just showed, they were wrong. You have a pretty standard selection of weapons to choose from, a knife, pistol, rifle, shotgun, pipe and axe. Once you understood enemy movements and routines it wasn't hard to end them quickly with taking little damage. Sometimes its better to use a quick knife than a slow axe.

There are multiple endings to the game depending on your decisions, which can give you outfits, guns etc for later replayability. This game is an underrated gem. As you see on Amazon it has 4/5 star reviews for the Xbox 360 and PS3. SHH was able to nail down the atmosphere with pin drop precision. You will feel lonely, scared, afraid and sometimes rejuvenated after overcoming your obstacles. I don't reccomend buying the Steam version as it is priced quite high, better yet get an Xbox 360 Elite Edition and play it on that. Make sure the tv you get to play it on is small as the graphics look sharper, also make sure the tv is in 720p as the game was made for 720p. Have fun and play it slow for optimal results.

Final Verdict: 9/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom