Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AMID EVIL - Heretic/Hexen-inspired FPS from the creators of Return of the Triad mod

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Like the variety of enemies in E3... The ones that throw spears that stick and burn are cool

On a sidenote player jumping sound is awful, sounds like a doggie doing "woof"

garren

Arcane
Patron
I didn't really dig Hexen. The convoluted & tedious to navigate hub system was a huge disappointment after the fun, simplicity and pure satisfaction of Heretic. But this looks like it captures the spirit of both games well. May it be a success for them.
I like hexen but the "where the fuck do I go next" parts are frustrating, just wandering around hubs trying to find the next thing that was opened.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
- weapons are stylish and feel good (the scimitar could have had insta-decaps and ricocheting like the Ripper from UT99 to make it more interesting)
- where's secondary fire? kinda feels like a wasted opportunity but I dunno

Soul mode has the scimitar ricochet.
I don't feel like this game needs secondary fires. It has something close to the most perfect balance of weaponry I've found in a FPS in terms of how they all complement each other. Games that have a predominant reliance on secondaries tend to reduce the amount of weapon switching and lead to a different gameplay feel than what is intended here, I certainly don't want any supremely dominating weapon like the Flak Canon or the Shock Rifle making its appearance. I still found a use for the staff when things got frantic in the arcane episode and aiming for the wizard flying nukes got annoying while dodging the chaos. Whisper's edge and star of torment have this shotgun/supershotgun duality where you'd use one more often when you target things mid range and the other when you can more surely hit all the projectiles. Could go on and on, this game has such a delicious roster.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I didn't really dig Hexen. The convoluted & tedious to navigate hub system was a huge disappointment after the fun, simplicity and pure satisfaction of Heretic. But this looks like it captures the spirit of both games well. May it be a success for them.
I like hexen but the "where the fuck do I go next" parts are frustrating, just wandering around hubs trying to find the next thing that was opened.

I at least completed it (after dropping it for a few years and coming back to it later because I couldn't find one of those fucking switches on the other side of the map that got opened by another switch) so it wasn't terrible. I played it in DOS on my old 586-based system way back when, and it was the very first time I noticed slowdown with multiple enemies on screen at the same time firing projectiles at me in a PC game that ran with an otherwise smooth framerate

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Regardless whether this is good or not... it aint Hexen.

What made Hexen Hexen was:

Highly detailed fantasy maps that partially made sense
Good Melee
Puzzles

Curratum

I made a long, disjointed masturbatory post on the Steam hub that I don't feel like re-using here in full, but basically...

I think Amid Evil has the best set of single-player levels in any FPS game, ever. I've been playing those games since Wolfenstein 3D and I've never seen such bold spatial design, mad ideas that just work, visual panache and use of color ever.

I have my bunch of sacred cows in the FPS genre (Doom, Quake, Blood, the usual suspects) and I didn't think anything would ever come along and trump them but this goddamn thing has level designs that are out of this world, and I don't mean just the crazy late levels.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To join Curratum's ode, a series of SS
Episode 1-3
Yror3VN.jpg

Q8YgL0H.jpg

m0C4KWQ.jpg

WRPpzyi.jpg

892SWe3.jpg

lweTJGf.jpg

SwWJt84.jpg

UoIGM4d.jpg

fdB66Dk.jpg

H7PTFyS.jpg

Ooqh0ck.jpg

maqQ05P.jpg

WBPIOWo.jpg

xkcFu4L.jpg

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Some screenshots were done with TAA + big pixel disabled, some were done with the grainy look.

Here's the difference :
WfbDTs9.jpg

No TAA
jUaGLU8.jpg

TAA

I'm actually quite affectionate of the grainy look in motion. There's that broken radiofreq reception vibe to it like looking at bad TV signal that adds to the otherwordly feel while shimmering.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think Amid Evil has the best set of single-player levels in any FPS game, ever. I've been playing those games since Wolfenstein 3D and I've never seen such bold spatial design, mad ideas that just work, visual panache and use of color ever.

Well I started with Wolf too and Amid Evil gave me a lot of flashbacks to defrag. If they weren't at least partially inspired by it I am ready to donate my left ballsack. I do like Amid Evil and it's good but calm down.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Episode 6 SS
jhtuBJ9.jpg

cJvCIuy.jpg

rQ20cf5.jpg

8GzRphA.jpg

Vxd2bbx.jpg

wX2GmKc.jpg

KHSL3qV.jpg

fyuP8m8.jpg

UR9H3Ah.jpg

UbeEw1w.jpg

OdvbsvI.jpg

a1PjTYS.jpg

l2eneNa.jpg

VJ7hC33.jpg

KwKOlMD.jpg

yf2uV9C.jpg

8lVbt95.jpg

oy0WdxP.jpg

uHT2sHn.jpg

jR4hTkj.jpg

LlGphRb.jpg

mtWE9fu.jpg

l6qc0ZD.jpg

og8Dcaa.jpg

M6vNvvt.jpg

dBZB2DJ.jpg

nRmVEE5.jpg

xMBAmng.jpg
I loved the previous levels, but oh my fucking god, the amount of effort that went into this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually quite affectionate of the grainy look in motion. There's that broken radiofreq reception vibe to it like looking at bad TV signal that adds to the otherwordly feel while shimmering.

IMO at higher resolutions like 1440p and especially 4k jaggies are never bad enough to justify the massive blur TAA causes. I'm fine with some SMAA or FXAA at 1440p, personally. It can depend on the game a bit though, as some games built around TAA have weird issues with it off, like Final Fantasy XV.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Episode 7, welcome to crazytown
mAqzSYX.jpg

eLb0HDQ.jpg

V4RxHxr.jpg

OJzr0bh.jpg

G1c0aBW.jpg

h8kXZHx.jpg

bpCq9fY.jpg

QtqpYiR.jpg

U18wpvs.jpg

a4aK9QT.jpg

71jnywI.jpg

ReuBorP.jpg

uaIynSt.jpg

20190704022843-1.jpg

20190704023232-1.jpg

20190704023423-1.jpg

20190704023549-1.jpg

20190704023601-1.jpg

20190704023946-1.jpg
20190704024116-1.jpg

20190704024715-1.jpg

20190704024959-1.jpg

20190704025009-1.jpg

20190704025210-1.jpg

20190704025606-1.jpg

20190704025615-1.jpg

20190704030114-1.jpg

20190704030414-1.jpg

20190704030528-1.jpg

20190704030539-1.jpg

20190704031027-1.jpg

20190704031828-1.jpg

20190704032233-1.jpg

20190704032236-1.jpg

20190704032303-1.jpg

20190704032332-1.jpg

20190704032347-1.jpg

20190704032359-1.jpg

Felt weaker on the gameplay side, most basic enemy type is a tad too spongy, levels feel less exploratory but it's a strong spectacle to end a great game.

Remember kids, this is why you should purge the unclean.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The textures are too hi-res for them not to look like an eye sore with jagged pixels.
Not to mention the bright contrasting colors.

Ivan

Arcane
Episode 6 SS
jhtuBJ9.jpg

cJvCIuy.jpg

rQ20cf5.jpg

8GzRphA.jpg

Vxd2bbx.jpg

wX2GmKc.jpg

KHSL3qV.jpg

fyuP8m8.jpg

UR9H3Ah.jpg

UbeEw1w.jpg

OdvbsvI.jpg

a1PjTYS.jpg

l2eneNa.jpg

VJ7hC33.jpg

KwKOlMD.jpg

yf2uV9C.jpg

8lVbt95.jpg

oy0WdxP.jpg

uHT2sHn.jpg

jR4hTkj.jpg

LlGphRb.jpg

mtWE9fu.jpg

l6qc0ZD.jpg

og8Dcaa.jpg

M6vNvvt.jpg

dBZB2DJ.jpg

nRmVEE5.jpg

xMBAmng.jpg
I loved the previous levels, but oh my fucking god, the amount of effort that went into this.

this was actually my least favorite level. It also had the most lifts in the game, which I would always clip through, very annoying.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Did you play this while the game was on EA or something? I had no issues with lifts and other moving platforms, besides a very derp moment on my part on a rotating staircase.

Curratum

Episode 7
Felt weaker on the gameplay side, most basic enemy type is a tad too spongy.

Load up any of the Ep7 levels that has a lot of those and then try the axe. You can thank me later.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think Journeyman's Way is the best map in the entire game. Very reminiscent of Powerslave.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The levels, from how far I played by now, are indeed pretty great and do interesting things. In that Arcane episode with the narrow ledges you have floating water bubbles you have to swim through to ascend to higher platforms, really cool way to add an unorthodox way of movement, especially vertical movement.

Ivan

Arcane
Did you play this while the game was on EA or something? I had no issues with lifts and other moving platforms, besides a very derp moment on my part on a rotating staircase.

It's funny, it wasn't just one movign platform. This would happen to me more than a few times, still stellar looking level tho.

Going to do an EVIL playthrough now

Also, don't underestimate how powerful the axe it. Fucking awesome.

Curratum

I just beat the last boss on Hard today. Is there an achievement for beating the game on Evil?

I am still missing two hidden achievements.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The levels, from how far I played by now, are indeed pretty great and do interesting things. In that Arcane episode with the narrow ledges you have floating water bubbles you have to swim through to ascend to higher platforms, really cool way to add an unorthodox way of movement, especially vertical movement.

Yeah level and weapon design are definitely the strong suits, enemy design and the overall production standard suck though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom