Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asheron's Call - The Most Beautiful MMORPG Of All

Deleted Member 16721

Hey all!

What a brilliant MMORPG this is, with a strong focus on the RPG part. Just a wonderful experience.

Anyone here played it recently? I purchased it several months to a year back, played for awhile and had a blast revisiting it all again.

When I say revisiting, I played the game back when it first came out at my friend's house on their computer.

At the time, I was just getting into computers myself, and ended up borrowing the cd to install on my own PC.

Don't tell him this, but when asked if I would renew the subscription with the credit card on file (my friend's moms card), I went ahead and clicked 'Yes'! :)

Played the entire summer away that year playing Asheron's Call. It was simply a magical time and an incredible experience.

Just exploring the countryside looking for interesting things, exploring the tons of content even back then; it was all just great.

Revisited it recently and it's still just as good, but obviously with a lot of convenience features and new things added.

Highly suggest you all check it out. I believe it's $9.99 for a 50 year subscription right now, hah! So yeah, well worth it.

Link - http://www.asheronscall.com/en

See you there! (Maybe, if I ever get the time to log in again!)

Ciao,

Fluent

Last edited by a moderator:
Does loook fun. But I usually don't like "convenience features". For example, I was playing Everquest 2 and even though there was some things I didn't like, it was halfway acceptable. UNTIL I saw all those markers on the map for quests. It told me everything and it's hard to explain but it was like hte the straw which broke the camels back. Bad taste in the mouth. It's sad because Everquest 2 has so much content, but was ruined by all the hand holding. I know I can shut off the map and pretend it isn't there and just be a mature person. But it did s*** like that too much. I can't forgive, unless it's the original EQ and I'm playing for nostalgia. I don't choose to be this way. I'm not trying to be an asshat. I smell bad naturally.

There's probably another thread about AC1 here. I think I posted in it.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Don't get me wrong. A few of the convenience features I like about Asheron's Call is the recent questing hub they added, but they still for the most part do not hold your hand and expect you to figure things out on your own!

And believe me, if you know me at all, that is a very big plus in my book. :)

Xenich

Cipher
Does loook fun. But I usually don't like "convenience features". For example, I was playing Everquest 2 and even though there was some things I didn't like, it was halfway acceptable. UNTIL I saw all those markers on the map for quests. It told me everything and it's hard to explain but it was like hte the straw which broke the camels back. Bad taste in the mouth. It's sad because Everquest 2 has so much content, but was ruined by all the hand holding. I know I can shut off the map and pretend it isn't there and just be a mature person. But it did s*** like that too much. I can't forgive, unless it's the original EQ and I'm playing for nostalgia. I don't choose to be this way. I'm not trying to be an asshat. I smell bad naturally.

There's probably another thread about AC1 here. I think I posted in it.

I have tried to go back to EQ2 several times, with each try telling myself I will accept all the dumbed down features, I will ignore all the face rolling content, the lack of character development, etc... to just get through the story and expansions to "see them". Last time I tried, I couldn't get past level 2. The game is just so completely stupid that I don't see how anyone who is not severely retarded could enjoy it.

I have considered AC from time to time, but if it is even remotely like mainstream games today, nope... not going to do it...

As for a questing hub? Yeah, no thanks...

Don't get me wrong. A few of the convenience features I like about Asheron's Call is the recent questing hub they added, but they still for the most part do not hold your hand and expect you to figure things out on your own!

And believe me, if you know me at all, that is a very big plus in my book. :)
Idk, I usually don't like those. They're a form of mudflation. They certainly have good intentions. Sometimes these attempts to make it accessible easier backfire. I think usually it helps, like helping a severely disabled old man live another year attached to a machine. Maybe hte nurse will give him some love when nobody is looking. Or maybe he can get special channels.

EDIT: Sorry for being unfriendly. I bet it's still enjoyable. My memories of EQ and other MMO's and how mudflation changed them is still mostly fresh in my mind, despite it being years ago. So it's hard to relax about it.

Googled a 3-part video:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom