Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Besides VmtB, what are some other 'October' RPGs?

Shadowrun Hong Kong - I remember the dreams and descriptions of Kowloon instilling a sense of dread

Also, since point and clicks have already been recommended, I finally got around to Stasis and Cayne. Both had great atmosphere for Halloween.

I'm considering giving Pathologic a shot next.

Funposter

Arcane
Vampyr - even considering obvious flaws of the game

Seconded. Vampyr isn't a great game, but it's got some fun vampire lore, good atmosphere and it's decent enough to play through at least once.

Daggerfall - a huge portion of the game deals with ghosts and necromancers, there's vampire crpyts and lycanthropes everywhere (with the opportunity to become either), and the game has a very spooky atmosphere while dungeon crawling!

mazar1234_4d051f9eb66fb.png

1476704019-1385904745.png

latest

Martyr

Arcane
Battle Brothers, with all the fog, autumnal colors and the general mood.
Serpent in the Staglands; might be more suitable for November/December, since it's a rather wintery game. but I can remember some years (2009 for example) the first snowfall was in october.
Dungeon Master 2, the rainy hedge maze has very nice atmosphere!
WaxWorks, nice game for halloween.
Grim Dawn, action-RPG, autumnal looks and atmosphere.
Darkest Dungeon, I don't think this needs an introduction.

since other people mentioned games from other genres, I'll do that as well. not all of them are that great, but I'd still recommend each and every one for the atmosphere.

adventure: Amnesia, Gorogoa, Kathy Rain, Knock Knock, Mind: Path to Thalamus, Myst, Overclocked, Penumbra, Scratches, Still Life, The Last Door, The Park, Through the Woods, Tormentum, Zork: Nemesis, Lake Ridden, Obscuritas, Kholat

shooter/action: Max Payne, Blood, Call of Cthulhu (2006), Nosferatu, Painkiller, The Suffering, Bloodrayne: Betrayal, Don't Starve, Hollow Knight, Legacy of Kain & Soul Reaper, Pathologic, Slain.

strategy: Celtic Tales, King of Dragon Pass, Dominions 2, X-Com, Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, Cultist Simulator.

Last edited:
Vampyr - even considering obvious flaws of the game
Oh look! A suggestion that satisfies all conditions of the request: Is an RPG, and fits the October feel! Rejoice! You have my respect sir. Sadly I have played the game before though.

Jokes aside there have been some good suggestions lately, so I thank all of you. I also add Sunless Skies to the list myself.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It seems that there aren't many choices for an "horror-themed" RPG. Too bad. Maybe "The Council" can be something similar?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Other "RPGs" with some horror-theme in them:

Bloodnet, Castlevania - Symphony of the Night, Code Vein, Darkwood, Deception III - Dark Delusion, Elvira 2 - The Jaws of Cerberus, Escape from Hell, Koudelka, Necropolis, Parasite Eve, Pathologic 2, Shadow Tower, Sweet Home, The Legacy - Realms of Terror, Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption, Veil of Darkness, Waxworks, Xenomorph.

Arx Fatalis, Gorky 17, Hyakki Castle, Immortal Darkness - Curse of the Pale King, Insomnia the Ark, Mary Skelter Nightmares, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl, Zanki Zero.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
You're calling out Sanitarium but not Clive Barker's Undying or Gargoyles? :lol:
I don't even know who that guy is.

Serious answer to the op: Prelude to Darkness. And Legie for a short but great adventure game.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
No idea my man, I downloaded the latest version (1.8 was it?) and it ran just fine in my Win 7 Athlon II computer.
Of course by 'fine' I mean 'it crashed quite a lot', but not to the point of being unplayable. Apart from needing a quick-save ready hand to prevent losses there wasn't much else of an issue.
Perhaps try running 1.7, I remember reading somewhere that it was more stable.

Do check Fowyr 's fixes tho:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/small-fixes-for-1-8.79946/

It seems that there aren't many choices for an "horror-themed" RPG. Too bad. Maybe "The Council" can be something similar?
The Council is an interesting one. It has attributes that directly affect the story and gameplay, has significant C&C, and the ability to (somewhat) determine the personality of the character through dialogue and said choices. Yet I won't call it an RPG for the life of me. I just don't know anymore man. The lines are all blurred. It's a good game. I've played it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
My fixes repair some very annoying script bugs but do not improve stability. You often need to scroll carefully, in my experience crashes are mostly when you zoom out or scroll. Win98 machine helps too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom