Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda's Fallout game, not named "Fallout 3"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DAC post: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17041

The idea of Bethesda doing a post-apocalypse game is as big a story as Bethesda doing Fallout 3. Perhaps even a bigger story. Since it'll be presumably be appearing on the consoles, where it'll have no history whatsoever, the "3" is going to make people back away slowly. (Don't
expect it to come out under the name "Fallout 3" but "Fallout: Some Extra Subtitle")

While the article is not 100% FACT, it would be interesting if Bethesda did not go forward with their Fallout game named specifically "Fallout 3".

I personally would like it if they did not name it Fallout 3. They have no way of ever achieving that task. Since they will more than likely be making Fallout: Oblivion with gunz! they should continue with that naming convention. No matter what they name it, I still feel they do not have the competency to make an RPG. However not naming it Fallout 3 leaves it open for them to make whatever game they wish. What do you think?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout was good.
Fallout 2 was not as good, but still, it was good.
Fallout: Tactics screwed the series.
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was utter crap.
The Fallouts with numbers were good.
The fallouts with subtitles sucked.
So it would be much more fitting for Bethesda to call their game Fallout: Insert Subtitle Here than Fallout 3.

Texas Red

Whiner
The Xbox kiddie crowd will be too confused with the 3. We all know that Bethesda does everything to ensure that nobody of their target audiance has to move his brain gears.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bethesda is admitting finally their target audience isn't capable of counting farther then 2. Ah well. Big surprise here.

Personly, I'd appreciate if they make it more of a spin-off than a "real" sequel to the Fallout series.

The Dude

Liturgist
I love original Fallout as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time seeing how a name change would change anything about the Bethsoft debacle. If it's shit, it's shit no matter what you call it. It's not like the name in itself is "holy" in any way. Those in the know already know it's no true sequel, everyone else probably don't give a rat's ass.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fact is, they simply lack skill to make it a real sequel.
Thus, it would be better if it was not called FO3.

Hmm, they still called Oblivion TES 4... so they ARE using numbers.

But maybe their target audience couldn't decipher IV as 4, and thought it belonged to the name of the game...

User was nabbed fit

I don't know how Fallout Tactics screwed the series, since it was entitled Fallout Tactics.

It made itself clear that it wasn't going to try to be Fallout 3 or whatever. Maybe you mean that it set the precedent for other genres of games under the Fallout name.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Didn't one of the devs at Bethesda recently post something about their new forums on his blog? I think I remember one of the tags for that post being Fall Out 3? I guess it's posible he was just concealing the real name but I doubt it. Bashing Fall Out: Extreem wouldn't be half as fun.

Higher Game

Arcane
I've said this for a long time. They will never call it Fallout 3 because it would suggest they're paying attention to the old games, which would hurt their next-gen image.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The great thing about Bethesda not calling their game Fallout 3 is that it leaves a glimmer of hope that somday, someone can make a real Fallout 3 we can pretend Bethout never happened.

Zomg

Arbiter
I think the marketing cliche of "Title: Sub Subby Title" is waning. I'd be surprised if they called it anything other than FO3, for some reason. On the other hand, it seems like such a suity thing to do that you don't want to not expect it.

denizsi

Arcane
I'm not completely sure but I believe Bethesda only bought the license to Fallout 3, 4 and 5. IP still belongs to Interplay. Also, I think the original press release, however old it is, shows a strong commitment to the title being "3".

Jim Kata

Arbiter
People have already made similar conjecture.

But who gives a shit? There was no need to start a new thread just for this, let alone one where it appears to be fact instead of conjecture at first glance.

Section8

Cipher
From what I understand, the development title is "Fallout RPG", which does imply that they're avoiding Fallout 3. Probably so that their idiot slavering mass of a fanbase doesn't get their fragile hivemind warped by the first two.

Guh, this third? Get first two. Hurrr, one two hurt brain. Hate Besda. Not give money.

Kuato

Liturgist
this is great news they are really moving in the right direction by removing "3" from the title now all they have to do is take the next step by removing "Fallout" from the title:)

Bradylama

Arcane
this is great news they are really moving in the right direction by removing "3" from the title now all they have to do is take the next step by removing "Fallout" from the title:)

It's a prediction based on not-facts.

Lumpy

Arcane
This is great news OMFG!!!
Too bad reading is teh hard even for Codexers apparently.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Fallout: Oblivion Lost

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom