Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood: Fresh Supply - remaster by Nightdive Studios, published by Atari

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.nightdivestudios.com/blood/

https://af.gog.com/game/blood_fresh_supply?as=1649904300

Smi7I28.png

They could not buy the IP from Atari, but they got to do remaster anyway.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press..._Reboot_of_AdventureHorror_PC_title_Blood.php

Vancouver, WA (December 07, 2018) – Iconic game publisher Atari® has selected Nightdive Studios– a dedicated team of industry veterans committed to restoring the classic PC game titles of the past and making them accessible to a new generation of gamers – to revamp the classic Atari-owned Adventure-Horror PC title Blood. Originally developed by Monolith Productions and released in 1997, Blood remains a fan-favorite and will receive enhancements to improve the action-packed, horrifying game experience.

The team working on the game at Nightdive Studios includes lead engine developer Samuel “Kaiser” Villarreal, whose previous work includes The Original Strife, Turok, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and, most recently, Forsaken Remastered. Additionally, developers Edward Richardson, James Haley, and producer Daniel Grayshon will be working on the project.

Regarding the upgrading effort, Daniel said: “Blood stood up extremely well over time and we are taking care to preserve all the qualities that made the game so special. It really only needs minor updates to provide a better user experience for contemporary audiences. By using some of the functions of Nightdive’s KEX engine, we’ll be able to provide compatibility with today’s video standards, with DirectX and Vulkan support.”

He continued: “Similarly, we’ll provide compatibility with the current audio standards. We’ll add support for modern networks, Steamworks, and GOG Galaxy to bring this original game to more players. As part of this, we will preserve the accuracy of the game behavior. While these upgrades are relatively minor, we are confident that they will provide fans with a better, current generation gameplay experience.”

“We are thrilled to work with the fine team at Nightdive Studios to bring the cult classic Blood back to gamers,” said Todd Shallbetter, COO of Atari. “Blood is a grisly good time, and there’s no better team out there than Nightdive to ensure that the game will find new fans.”

Originally released in 1997, Blood is a First-Person Shooter that helped redefine the genre and first introduced many elements now accepted as commonplace. In Blood, players jump into the boots of undead gunslinger Caleb as he seeks revenge against the dark god Chernobog. Caleb’s arsenal features a mix of standard and occult weaponry, which he uses to devastating and gore-filled, effect. In the game, players visit a terrifying world populated by hordes of bloodthirsty fiends including cultists, gargoyles, zombies, hellhounds, and an unholy host of other terrors.

Stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks.

A press kit with screenshots and logos is available here: https://uberstrategist.link/Nightdive-Blood-PressKit

I guess this means Atari has no intention of selling Blood IP? Or is this for Nightdive to buy it without directly paying the (reportedly not so cheap) upfront cost?

Last edited by a moderator:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
can't wait to hear tons of dumbass normies talking about a classic game because of this. if you can't figure out how to play the game without the need of these remakes then you don't deserve to play it. barrier of entry keeps retards away.
Except the only way to play Blood is through the subpar DOSBox or the not exactly true to the original game BloodGDX. A proper source port is a fantastic thing.

Astral Rag

Arcane
can't wait to hear tons of dumbass normies talking about a classic game because of this. if you can't figure out how to play the game without the need of these remakes then you don't deserve to play it. barrier of entry keeps retards away.

Retards will just continue playing Fortnite, Quake Champions, F76 and similar trash anyway.

PEACH

Arbiter
Strife and Turok were both handled really well so I can't see why this would be any different. I'm fine playing the DOSbox version but I'd like to be open minded about this given their history.

Remastered or not Blood will never be the type of game most normies can pick up and enjoy anyway, I'd be surprised if half of them could stomach even the first couple missions long enough to keep playing. This isn't aimed at those people and will almost certainly be overlooked by the general audience just like their re-release of Strife was.

ec4145eab8d7559094d3b9d8f622a339.png

A horse of course

It's not like you can't just savescum past the harder parts. I don't see the barrier of entry for the average player. If anything Blood 2 was much more difficult.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Considering the fact, that BloodGdx is the best port that we have right now, a proper non-java version of Blood would be good to compare the quality of the work. I'm guessing Atari will get Nightdive an access to the source code of the game to be able to update it with all the new things mentioned in the news. Hopefully that means also all mods being easily playable as well. And last, but not least - a better handling of multiplayer, but that's me being optimistic.

Nice. A Blood remaster would be peachy, and Nightdive has a good track record with remasters so long as we ignore the System Shock reboot thing that no one should ever speak of or think about.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some bits from the lead developer's tweets: https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1071133111650537477
  • "Reverse engineered. I've been disassembling the game for several years and have a more or less clear outline of how everything works. Its somewhat pressuring as I am needing to go over the disassembly multiple times to make sure everything is perfect."
  • "Some things like the slipperiness is going to remain as it was intentionally designed to do that, but none of BUILD engine's collision detection is going to be used. Though the new collision code will produce nearly exact same results; just less glitchy results..."
  • "There will be mod support. The idea is that you put your mod into a folder along with any modded .ART files or INI files you include and you should be able to load a mod from there. Additionally BloodEX will allow you to define your own enemies and scripted AI logic."
  • "None of the original assets will be modified. This includes levels (despite my temptations)."

Grim Monk

Arcane
Seems better then expected.

Still some questions:
Will it still include all the original expansion packs?
Will the unmodified DOS files be kept available so people can try alternatives like BloodGDX?
Will it be a update to existing Steam/GOG versions, or have to be repurchased?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wasn't there already a fan remake of Blood that was being developed for a while?

Hmm... looks like it was abandoned, but they put out a demo at least. https://www.moddb.com/games/blood-fan-remake
There's been dozens of fan remakes and remasters/source ports of Blood. Probably officially too, there's a lot of troubles over the Blood IP itself. That one in particular doesn't look very good. Better off hoping for source ports, I can't get over how good those sprites look anyway.

so long as we ignore the System Shock reboot thing that no one should ever speak of or think about.

Is the System Shock Reboot/Remaster project aborted?
Last I knew they were scaling back some of their bullshit since they went completely off the fucking deep end for a while, but I haven't been following it very closely so I'm not sure. I was super tempted to back it on Kickstarter but then I bailed once they started going into how they were adding and changing stuff, so I only half-ass pay attention to it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Good netcode, proper mouse input and a stable, locked frame rate (60 or higher ofc) are the main things I'm hoping for. (Optional) remastered sound and music would be cool too. Any new graphical features should be optional. I also don't want an out of place new HD HUD à la Shadow Warrior Redux. And it should be 100% compatible with existing mods and maps.

Workshop support and a new easy to use level editor would be great too.

Imagine an active Blood MP community and a more active mapping community.

:excited:

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Nightdive Discord:
  • (Cool, so vanilla user maps and mods can be run through the remaster?) Yup. Although note that anything that required modifying the original executable won't work for obvious reasons, like some weapon mods.
  • (So question: Release date? this year? next year?) Can't answer that.
  • Mapping tools, same answer. It's still early days yet. Although the original mapedit will still be usable for reasons mentioned.
  • Yeah, multiplayer will be very updated. Physics (sans some bugs) remains the same.
  • Oh, yeah safe to say the mouse look will be sane now. Because we can change the netcode, none of the old rules about how freelook has to work apply anymore.

Cross

Arcane
They should copy the custom difficulty feature from BloodGDX that lets you change individual settings (e.g. increasing the quantity of enemies without increasing their stats).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom