Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Lukrame, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lukrame Learned

Infinitron
    hahaha

so even mercer agrees with me

fucking retard wierdos btfo

^ Top  
  3. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

Infinitron
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, I'm sure it is Critical Role's fault and not you having latent homosexual friends. :roll:

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. Shadenuat Arcane

Infinitron
    Giggly meta shit is not really unique for Critical Role. It just happens with people who can't do actual stories. And if they won't copy that, they'll copy some character from anime they watched.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :despair:
    I was wrong. I was so wrong, in my earlier post.

In my friday evening group it turns out the resident "that guy" who I thought was the only issue, turns out to be a gay furry. One of the two girls turns out to be a ftm trans. The dm and the other girl are normal. But the dm's english is pretty bad and the girl is moving a couple provinces over soon and our newest addition to the party is 'that guy''s boyfriend. Who has even worse english than the DM and seems to have nothing to add. Oh and he just had to play a dragonborn barbarian, just like my character. What a co-inkydink. Really activates my almonds.

But hey the DM has set up a marvelous campaign so far, and my character is a joy to play as. I'll just cash out as soon as the awkwardness reaches a tipping point, and so far there's less than you would imagine. But you're right, it doesn't really matter where you are in the west, the tumblr crowd is very attracted to d&d now.
    :decline:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

Infinitron
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm sure the problem is not Critical Role, but that you move in a circle with people like that.

^ Top  
  7. MajorMace Learned

Infinitron
    Stay strong. It doesn't have to be awkward for you, it could be awkward for them, if you get what I mean. wink wink.

I don't know what I mean actually.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Trans-Financial-Man Learned

Infinitron
    As I stated before. No matter who your group is as long as the GM can lay down the law and not be a fuck up you should be okay. Regardless of them being a gay furry who probably shits in a nappy. I will say that if you can't communicate with each other properly then the game is not worth doing. PnP requires good communication.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Strongly seconding.

Your GM especially cannot be someone others will just walk all over and from a lot of stories you hear online about games going awry or THAT GUY ruining everything that's precisely what happens because no one wants to be assertive enough and appear as some combative asshole to others. This leads to further communications breakdown as issues just pile up, especially in games that have inherent problems and require more back-and-forth or DM who knows what he's doing. This comes from someone who played Rifts - game that would make players whining about balance and builds explode in frustration merely by comparing power levels of various OCCs/RCCs.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Trans-Financial-Man Learned

Infinitron
    To play devil's advocate, I recently had a DnD game that didn't go down to well. I was the GM and decided it'd be good to go down to the Board Game shop my son used to frequent. My first mistake was not asking my boy why he doesn't go anymore. Oh boy. I managed to find a group easily enough and within half an hour it was "Critical Role did it like (x)" and everyone in the room seemed to have similar opinions about this. This group in particular I made a mistake with they were all under 25. Just a few years shy of being Zoomers. The game didn't really get past character creation because the group kept asking if they could just play various fictional characters like Captain Marvel or whatever the fuck characters are in Steven Universe. I'd say no and then they'd say "But Mercer said DnD is supposed to be fun and liberating.". I could've stood my ground as I've done in the past with bad groups but sometimes if you know a group is fucked it's not worth the effort. I as a GM could always find games in my area through PUGs online and through social media so it's no great loss for me to tell these obnoxious pratts to fuck off. As a GM always be respectful of others and their opinions but if you know they won't do the same and will in fact intentionally or not fuck up the game then boot them out or just leave. Doubley so if you're not the GM. If you're not having a good time, do something else. It's not rocket science.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. sgm Educated

Infinitron
    You guys playing shit games with shit players should message Irenaeus about joining his game, Cradle Valley. The kind of shit you're experiencing has no place there and based on what I've read, you would fit in quite nicely. Also, those morons in your game would get killed within 5 minutes and possibly have their heads explode Scanners-style from the experience.

^ Top  
  12. udm Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Yeah, there's something about this hobby that attracts all the fucking weirdos of the world to it. I'm not just talking about the LGBTQ2+1800 crowd, but also those who are just flat out creepy to be around, including the likes of Zak Smith. My guess is that it's the only "trooly libdurrrating" type of hobby out there (I'm including LARPing here) that allows people to fulfill all kinds of deep, dark fantasies that they'll later just jerk off or finger themselves to.

No other related hobby, not board gaming nor wargaming, has this many weirdos in one collective, not to mention the quality drama typically surrounding the people involved.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. nikolokolus Arcane

Infinitron
    My experience has been pretty good gaming with strangers if you limit yourself to people who like high lethality, "simulationist" games (for lack of a better term); something like GURPS, BRP, etc. It seems to automatically select against the kind of twink, tumblerina, snowflake assholes that are so drawn to modern D&D.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    True, but sometimes I don't want my six hour session to become all about one combat encounter because it's simulated to such a degree arrow windfall is a factor, for example. If I wanted to tap that particular type of player base I'd just play some wargames instead. It always comes down to the fine line you're looking for and getting everyone on the same page is part of the experience. Or problem, depending on how you look at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. nikolokolus Arcane

Infinitron
    Then play Stormbringer or use the general Hit Points option in BRP, whatever. My point wasn't that you should only play crunchy rules sets, it's that there is another subset of people out there that don't particularly give a shit about SJW politics or furry culture, you just have to know where to look.

^ Top  
  16. Popiel Magister Patron

Infinitron
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I've never watched Critical Role in my life but from what I read you all with these kinds of problems should just... you know... change groups you stupid masochistic retards. Why the fuck would anyone sane play with people with which one doesn't share not only vision of how game should be played but also a vision of what a decent human being looks and behaves like (i.e. not like a damn animal). What's your problem? 'Cause it's in you. I played a lot of pnps in my life but I was never stuck with a group not to my liking for more than one game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Voids Novice

Infinitron
    Anyone know of any decent actual play podcasts? All the ones I've heard are silly giggle fests and just a slog to listen to.

^ Top  
  18. nikolokolus Arcane

Infinitron
    Yeah. Matt Finch (who wrote the Swords & Wizardry retroclone of OD&D) has a decent one on youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLptTCxApuRIinLEHii08sDQxW-V2V3d4U

A few of the players were annoying at times but Finch is good at running the show.

That said, I tend to think all actual play recordings are dogshit; it's like eavesdropping on a conversation with a bunch of inside jokes (and even if you are in on the joke, it wouldn't be all that funny.)

^ Top  
  19. Kev Inkline Arcane

Infinitron
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    D&D does not equal PnP. A stupid sensationalist title ITT.

Show Spoiler

Just play RuneQuest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. _Vic_ Educated

Infinitron
    Wow, just wow
    Some statements in this thread... :what:

Agreed. As long as you talk to the GM and follow the rules most of the things some people said are allowed (Well, the plane-travel Captain America maybe it is too much). I am pretty sure that the other players are equally annoyed by the judgemental guy in the corner that gives them weird stares when they are having fun and RP their way. They surely will be as relieved as you when you´re gone.

Also, I´ve never had the chance to share the table with characters like that, but I am pretty sure that in Faerun there is much more homosexuality, transsexuality, bestiality, furry, etc than in our world, so their interpretations are not even out of character.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Gerrard Arcane

Infinitron
    First they came...

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fake nerds are worse than the worst incels. Living a lie and deep down Matt Mercer wants to hang himself. Screw em. Play OSR games. Those people don't exist to me. LOSERS!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Üstad Educated

Infinitron
    What the fuck?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Black Arcane

Infinitron
    Stolen from the gg thread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 5
    • incline x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. The Red Knight Scholar

Infinitron
    >Starvation
    >Thirst
    No ordering pizza?
    :despair:

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)