Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Vergil was far harder for me here than in 3.
Like I said in the previous page, once I found out a solid strategy he doesn't become all that troublesome.
But here you have to make good use of every tool at your disposal.

Suicidal

Arcane
Just beat Urizen in the prologue. Didn't unlock all other difficulties... :/
Don't think it works if you play after you beat other missions. I think you need to beat him in Son of Sparda if you want Dante Must Die.

That is correct. It only unlocks the next difficulty, not all of them (because by killing Urizen you're completing the game on the current mode).

Suicidal

Arcane
Finally won.

Vergil here is definitely harder than in 3 (especially considering I was playing on SoS) - he's less random but has a lot more mechanics and different skills you have to counter with different skills of your own. Took me about 3 hours (both Dante and Nero fights combined).

Closing thoughts:

Great game, definitely feels like the best elements of 3 & 4 combined and I will be replaying it on DMD after Sekiro.

To all the people who still haven't played this: if you're a series veteran, do yourself a favor and start on Devil Hunter, kill the boss in the prologue and play the full campaign on Son of Sparda. I have a feeling Devil Hunter in this game was made easier than normal difficulty in previous games to accommodate new people (I noticed that by watching some twitch streams - a lot of people had no idea what DMC even was and this was their first game in the series). On Son of Sparda the first half of the game feels like DMC 3 normal difficulty and then towards the end it starts ramping up closer to DMC 3 hard/very hard.

Some criticisms:

Still dislike playing V (as I said before, he's not bad but Dante and Nero are just so much better).

I wish the game didn't force you to switch characters every other mission. I spend about an hour going through mission 15 and another 30 minutes fighting the KFC boss as Nero and then the game switches to Dante in the next mission. I die on the very first fight because I'm still instinctively mashing the rev up button while hitting the mobs, which on Dante switches your weapons, which just ruins my combos and confuses me. Also not a fan how after you beat Vergil with Dante, it forces you to fight him again with Nero
with DMC 4 mechanics.
Game, do you have any idea how much time has passed since I played that character? Also, not even DMC 4, the series king of recycling content, forced you to fight the same boss in 2 missions back to back.

Don't really care about the stories in these games, but still was disappointed that
they didn't introduce any new villains. It's just Vergil again, he's pissed and wants revenge, yeah let's just get this over with.
The game's story in general feels like a rehash of shit that happened before.

Sin Devil Trigger feels like a cheap win button most of the time, could do without it.

Other than that, I'm very happy. Feels good to actually play a game that you were hoping would get made for a long time and then actually playing it and not being disappointed.

mogwaimon

Magister
Between MHW and DMC5 selling like hotcakes maybe the industry will finally realize that incline games CAN sell well.

Suicidal

Arcane
I may be talking out of my ass right now, but 2 million sales for a highly polished and well made AAA title seems pretty small. I know DMC has always been a pretty niche series but nowadays I'm used to seeing AAA games making a lot more sales in the opening several days. I hope I'm wrong and 2 mil is actually good for this game, otherwise Capcom may be discouraged from making similar games in the future.

As for the rest of the industry - I doubt it will change anything. Why bother expending effort making something good and complex when you can spend 1/50 of time and money on a shitty microtransaction-filled mobile game and make just as much, if not more from milking idiots.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I may be talking out of my ass right now, but 2 million sales for a highly polished and well made AAA title seems pretty small. I know DMC has always been a pretty niche series but nowadays I'm used to seeing AAA games making a lot more sales in the opening several days. I hope I'm wrong and 2 mil is actually good for this game, otherwise Capcom may be discouraged from making similar games in the future.

As for the rest of the industry - I doubt it will change anything. Why bother expending effort making something good and complex when you can spend 1/50 of time and money on a shitty microtransaction-filled mobile game and make just as much, if not more from milking idiots.
Agreed. It looks low to me as well. Leaving aside the cancer i.e mobile market. When rubbish Sony games sell 10 million, this looks really bad for a multiplatform release. They will continue to make their all fagotary and no depth games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just a comparison, DMC4 sold 3 million in its lifetime, the shitty reboot DmC sold 2.4 million in its lifetime. This game sold 2 million in less than a month. I think it's pretty good, because as you said, it is still a bit of a niche series.

mogwaimon

Magister
What state is the industry in that 2 million in the first month is mediocre sales? Christ. Well, at least if it keeps Capcom making decent games again, I suppose that's fine by me.

Suicidal

Arcane
What state is the industry in that 2 million in the first month is mediocre sales?

Maybe I was looking too much at stuff like Red Dead 2 (around 12 million opening sales) and Fallout 4 (also around 12 million (puke)) which can be considered exceptions. I checked some other big name games (Assasin's Creed Odyssey, Uncharted 4), and they have similar numbers. Most AAA releases seem to sell around 3 mil during the opening week, DMC 5 being below that could possibly be attributed to the series' sorta niche status. So maybe it's not as bad as it may seem.

PrettyDeadman

2 million on debut probably means 4-5 millions in lifetime (think about sales, collectgions and future addons like blood palace).
This is my prediciton.

sullynathan

Arcane
What state is the industry in that 2 million in the first month is mediocre sales?

Maybe I was looking too much at stuff like Red Dead 2 (around 12 million opening sales) and Fallout 4 (also around 12 million (puke)) which can be considered exceptions. I checked some other big name games (Assasin's Creed Odyssey, Uncharted 4), and they have similar numbers. Most AAA releases seem to sell around 3 mil during the opening week, DMC 5 being below that could possibly be attributed to the series' sorta niche status. So maybe it's not as bad as it may seem.
2 million on debut probably means 4-5 millions in lifetime (think about sales, collectgions and future addons like blood palace).
This is my prediciton.
That really depends on if the game has legs, marketing, multiplayer and how it conforms to other popular titles. All the games listed have that while DMCV doesn't.

Horizon Zero Dawn did 10 million in 2 years and around 2.6 million in under two weeks. Granted it's a PS4 open world exclusive with tons of money and marketing from Sony and those are popular right now. DMCV is a short single player hack & slasher and those aren't very popular in the current market and haven't been very popular since early last gen.

For example, Nier Automata, the last big hack & slasher to release cleared 3.5 million in almost 2 years. God of War 3 is the best selling game in this genre and it did 5.2 million copies which was greater than Ascension that came after it but less than the recent God of War game.

Generally speaking, I'd say that the genre isn't super mainstream. There's a clear peak in sales shown when even the most popular series in the genre shifts to another genre, I think capcom knows that now.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This is the highest selling DMC so far. Plus considering it's a franchise that had it's name dragged trough the mud in these last 10 years that's pretty good.
I think Capcom has figured out that they can't be an AAA that attracts a very large audience (like Nintendo), but they can be a AA studio that puts out high quality and focused games. I mean, even despite Monster Hunter World success, that game is still kinda a niche game.

sullynathan

Arcane
This is the highest selling DMC so far. Plus considering it's a franchise that had it's name dragged trough the mud in these last 10 years that's pretty good.
I think Capcom has figured out that they can't be an AAA that attracts a very large audience (like Nintendo), but they can be a AA studio that puts out high quality and focused games. I mean, even despite Monster Hunter World success, that game is still kinda a niche game.

Nah, I disagree. Capcom is AAA and do AAA numbers and can do AAA quality and have AAA budget, they just can't do it for every game series they own because all their game series aren't AAA. For example, Mega Man as a 2D platformer can not be AAA in this current market, they'd have to shift genres and make it an FPS or something. DMC can't do current god of war sales numbers unless it becomes an open world action game with rpg mechanics. Resident Evil can't do RE5 & RE6 sales numbers unless it goes back to being a full blown TPS and ditches survival horror.

Monster Hunter isn't niche, I argue that it has never been niche, Capcom just didn't try to give it worldwide appeal for most of its existence.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
That really depends on if the game has legs, marketing, multiplayer and how it conforms to other popular titles. All the games listed have that while DMCV doesn't.

Horizon Zero Dawn did 10 million in 2 years and around 2.6 million in under two weeks. Granted it's a PS4 open world exclusive with tons of money and marketing from Sony and those are popular right now. DMCV is a short single player hack & slasher and those aren't very popular in the current market and haven't been very popular since early last gen.

For example, Nier Automata, the last big hack & slasher to release cleared 3.5 million in almost 2 years. God of War 3 is the best selling game in this genre and it did 5.2 million copies which was greater than Ascension that came after it but less than the recent God of War game.

Generally speaking, I'd say that the genre isn't super mainstream. There's a clear peak in sales shown when even the most popular series in the genre shifts to another genre, I think capcom knows that now.
Fck! That really sucks. I don't know what's stopping all these Souls fans from jumping into action games. Darks Souls 3 and Bloodborne already plays like almost action games anyway. And Nioh is pretty much that. I hope after the success of Sekiro From software doubles down on action and bring in some of those guys into actual solid action games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Without any confirmation on what the budget for DMC5 was, I hesitate to call it an AAA. 2 million sales for an AA game is quite good.

sullynathan

Arcane
Fck! That really sucks. I don't know what's stopping all these Souls fans from jumping into action games. Darks Souls 3 and Bloodborne already plays like almost action games anyway. And Nioh is pretty much that. I hope after the success of Sekiro From software doubles down on action and bring in some of those guys into actual solid action games.
One has to remember that souls is a different genre from hack & slashers like DMC, God of War, Ninja gaiden, & Platinum's games. Souls didn't get mainstream until Dark Souls, even Demon's Souls sales pales in comparison to DMC & God of Wars and only did 1 million copies. Nioh too did about 2.5 million in 2 years, so DMCV has certainly already passed it.

If Dark Souls never gained so much hype for being "really hard game you died a lot" it would've never gained the amount of fans it has now and would've been pulling similar numbers to Demon's Souls. It alsohelps that FROM Software's games are relatively cheap but still sell very well, they can churn them out.

In turn, FROM Softwares current games have a different type of appeal than hack & slashers of old and have only been growing in popularity from last gen to this gen while hack & slashers have severely declined in popularity.

This goes back to what I said about the biggest game in the sub-genre, God of War, leaving the sub-genre to go to a genre with even bigger mass appeal. That's because God of War Ascension didn't sell well, not even close to God of War 3, and Sony weren't sure where to go with the series until the visual, story and genre shift.
In 10 years, you only had one DMC game and that was the reboot which fans hated and didn't reach sales expectations either, ninja gaiden pracitcally died and it too had low sales and outside of that only platinum regularly released hack & slash games but none of platinums games are high sellers. Automata is their best selling game, even Bayonetta which built up their reputation only sold 1.5 million copies for lifetime which is why you didn't get Bayonetta 2 until years later when Nintendo paid for the games exclusive development.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
One has to remember that souls is a different genre from hack & slashers like DMC, God of War, Ninja gaiden, & Platinum's games. Souls didn't get mainstream until Dark Souls, even Demon's Souls sales pales in comparison to DMC & God of Wars and only did 1 million copies. Nioh too did about 2.5 million in 2 years, so DMCV has certainly already passed it.

If Dark Souls never gained so much hype for being "really hard game you died a lot" it would've never gained the amount of fans it has now and would've been pulling similar numbers to Demon's Souls. It alsohelps that FROM Software's games are relatively cheap but still sell very well, they can churn them out.

In turn, FROM Softwares current games have a different type of appeal than hack & slashers of old and have only been growing in popularity from last gen to this gen while hack & slashers have severely declined in popularity.

This goes back to what I said about the biggest game in the sub-genre, God of War, leaving the sub-genre to go to a genre with even bigger mass appeal. That's because God of War Ascension didn't sell well, not even close to God of War 3, and Sony weren't sure where to go with the series until the visual, story and genre shift.
In 10 years, you only had one DMC game and that was the reboot which fans hated and didn't reach sales expectations either, ninja gaiden pracitcally died and it too had low sales and outside of that only platinum regularly released hack & slash games but none of platinums games are high sellers. Automata is their best selling game, even Bayonetta which built up their reputation only sold 1.5 million copies for lifetime which is why you didn't get Bayonetta 2 until years later when Nintendo paid for the games exclusive development.
I think pumping money into graphics was not really a good idea. They should've stuck with stylized graphics, games like Breath of the Wild are not pulled in through "Photorealism", I think overall that was a waste of money on DMC5's part. Though hard to tell how much the budget was as production quality does not equal to production value.

Action games should have a consistent revenue if they use AA production values instead of dumping too much money on the presentation. I am sure they can get some consistent revenue from this niche. It's really been a while since proper action games, I hope it doesn't go into another long break after DMC5. Make it look like Breath of the Wild for all I care, just be good.

sullynathan

Arcane
I think pumping money into graphics was not really a good idea. They should've stuck with stylized graphics, games like Breath of the Wild are not pulled in through "Photorealism", I think overall that was a waste of money on DMC5's part. Though hard to tell how much the budget was as production quality does not equal to production value.

Action games should have a consistent revenue if they use AA production values instead of dumping too much money on the presentation. I am sure they can get some consistent revenue from this niche. It's really been a while since proper action games, I hope it doesn't go into another long break after DMC5. Make it look like Breath of the Wild for all I care, just be good.
Really, who knows how much they actually pumped into graphics? They're using the RE engine & the mocap stuff which was already used in RE7 & RE2, so they already have the expertise on hand. It wouldn't hurt them to have chased photorealism since that's the craze nowadays and good graphics certainly draws in a crowd.

Yeah, I'm sure this game will be the most successful DMC game easily. They've wrapped up the story of the series so truthfully, they can go anywhere they want with the next game, it doesn't have to be DMC6. I just think that if they ditch this sub-genre, then as the progenitor of the sub-genre it will be a bit disheartening but I guess making a good game overall matters more whether it's a hack & slash or an open world game or whatever.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Really, who knows how much they actually pumped into graphics? They're using the RE engine & the mocap stuff which was already used in RE7 & RE2, so they already have the expertise on hand. It wouldn't hurt them to have chased photorealism since that's the craze nowadays and good graphics certainly draws in a crowd.

Yeah, I'm sure this game will be the most successful DMC game easily. They've wrapped up the story of the series so truthfully, they can go anywhere they want with the next game, it doesn't have to be DMC6. I just think that if they ditch this sub-genre, then as the progenitor of the sub-genre it will be a bit disheartening but I guess making a good game overall matters more whether it's a hack & slash or an open world game or whatever.
As long as they have realistic expectations with appropriate budgets this subgenre won't be going anywhere. I hope. Man! People are disappointing...

Suicidal

Arcane
I actually wouldn't mind if they made an open world DMC game provided everything else stays the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom