Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Ok, I finally ran into something in Disco Disco that I don't like.

Ran into Measurehead. Have Physical Instrument at 6, with the t shirt, so after the long dialogue, I decide to knock his ass out. But went with hook as a finishing move, instead of the kick, and he grabbed my head. So he made me lose 2 health, after I tried to pull out, but then I get the option to go at him again, and basically repeat the whole thing, with the kick instead. Felt really stupid, enough so that I just reloaded. He should've killed you or something.
I did hook>kick and it worked first try

Well, the first is always a hook, im saying if you go with the second hook after that, that's a bad move. He rebounds and grabs your head. Which is ok, but he still lets you go alive and conscious, so you can just repeat the whole thing with a kick.

Sweet.

According to discord, it is indeed possible to utterly fuck up and get kicked off the force. I'm assuming that means its possible to miss out on the cryptid or fail to concretely establish Deserter as the killer. I really don't mind that they funnel you into a pretty linear sequence of events starting with the tribunal now, because while I would have preferred there to be an alternate way to find Ruby or some more options in handling the tribunal, what this ultimately means is that your choices throughout the investigation (getting the correct cause of death, deducing the killer's location, Kim's health, etcetera) do indeed matter when it comes to Harry's fate and solving the actual mystery.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So wait, can you get all of the pieces
of the armour before the Tribunal in day 3
??

??
You can get gloves+boots+cuirass. Only the latter is important for shrugging off the first shot if you happen to miss the reaction speed roll, but the boots are very nice for Kim's roll as well.

You don't get the helmet until the end of the game, though, when it no longer matters.

Now answer my fucking question, motherfucker. You played the entire game w/o seeing the cryptid? Come on, I'm begging you, fam! This is important ok

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
??
You can get gloves+boots+cuirass. Only the latter is important for shrugging off the first shot if you happen to miss the reaction speed roll, but the boots are very nice for Kim's roll as well.

You don't get the helmet until the end of the game, though, when it no longer matters.

Now answer my fucking question, motherfucker. You played the entire game w/o seeing the cryptid? Come on, I'm begging you, fam! This is important ok

no I'm at the end of day 3, I thought it would be in the trap

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
This game is amazingly well-written, yet the disappointment keeps swelling in me. I bought into the advertising and the shill brigade promises hook, line and sinker, while the actual game doesn't really resemble them. It's small, real small, a focused thing, not even approaching the 60 hours figure thrown around by the developers or the amount of different locations PS:T had (also their words). I wouldn't have expected more if they'd gone and said: "Yes, this is going to be focused in one small district", but they didn't. What it's also not is a good detective game.

It genuinely angers me how amateurishly it railroads you into not finding out the sniper's hideout by yourself. Not only the place for checking the boardwalk hideout is fucked (seriously, you can't check the top of it, but an underground bunker, as vital to the later scene it is, is the last place anyone would think a sniper shot could've come from), but you can't even go check the last potential place for the shot to be made from. It wouldn't be that bad if there was a decent explanation as to why you can't, but Joyce has a yacht RIGHT THERE that she uses to cross that little straight. The hard trigger for the tribunal being finding Ruby and not the passage of time is also a big "Why?" for me. Klaasje figuring out the shot came from the island and explicitly marking the way for you is an ultimate kick in the nuts.

Which is not to say I didn't like the game. Phys+Psyche playthrough with a lot of Shivers and Inland Empire is very interesting to say the least, and makes the final confrontation better, but I can't help but wonder how much better the main quest could've been if it wasn't like this.

What is inside bunker? Someone opened it?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I'm disappointed you
can't use the sabre in the Tribunal, or escape with an intact leg
also surprised at the outcomes for that, there doesn't seem to be any good ones, no perfect ending unless I missed something by
not arresting the blonde

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
has anyone managed to

get a different outcome at the mercenary tribunal with hardies crew not dying?

is it even possible? :D
Very curious about the above as well.
I'm gonna replay the game with very high Motorics, and I'm gonna metagame some of my actions (namely reaction speed and hand eye coordination) to see whether or not it'll effect anything. If you can dodge all the bullets and shoot them dead, it should be fine, right? At the end it's implied that you can avoid all the death.

The second Reaction Speed check is impossible to succeed (when the "scab leader" shoots you in retaliation, that is.) However, I do know of two factors that might influence things:
1. You can apparently set the "scab leader" on fire by turning the medicinal spirit into a fucking molotov cocktail.
2. You can apparently shrug off the shot if you have the net-picker's sword (which you get from going on a date with her) equipped during the shootout

How to set on fire? How to make molotov cocktail?

Terenty

Liturgist
Ok i have a question

Why do people have problem paying the bartender for the damage if Kim is giving you all the money you need?

well i did not even knew he gave money. made my rent asking for my sugar momma in her ship. does the dialogue with him happens when you fail to pay the rent? what s the trigger?

At the end of the day he says its time to sleep, you answer i haven't payed yet, he says lets go talk to the bartender, the bartender refuses to let you in and then Kim goes and gives you some confiscated things to pawn which is exactly 100 $.

I never had to pass any checks too as far as i know

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Kyl Von Kull
I absolutely agree with you regarding the coda - the whole "anticlimactic end to detective story" thing is pretty popular in the more cynical examples of the genre, but it really worked for me this time, and the phasmid conversation was a fantastic shift of tone that really capped off the experience on a good note. However, if that is all the variation that there is in the tribunal, I will be very disappointed indeed. Mostly because the lack of variation there combined with the fact that the game deliberately keeps you from figuring the mystery out early kind of makes it seem like they tried too hard to funnel you into this very specific set up. This would be easier to stomach had the game not been so good in terms of reactivity up to that point.

I’m hopeful, but
yeah it would suck if Kim is the only major variable (not that Detective Pinball’s health isn’t important. Did you ever hear about his secret nickname?).

There are a ton of different permutations going into the tribunal. It wouldn’t surprise me if they made it very hard to get out of that situation peacefully—it should be hard. Maybe you need to equip the alcohol and a cigarette for a Molotov cocktail rather than a weapon. Maybe knowing about the third man will give you an edge—I’ll test that today now that I know failing the red check with Ruby gives you that info.

But if I’m wrong, that would be my biggest gripe with the game. Currently my biggest gripe with Disco is
the Shivers check to get into the FELD building. I think that’s the only way in, although you can do a bunch of side quests to make it much, much, much easier.

PS. If you set your electrochemistry at 1, you only get 3 hits from most drugs.

Is it possible to learn about 3rd man?

Also is it possible to dodge 2nd shot with max Reaction?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Ran into some unbeatable checks. As in, the total roll > target number, check still fails. Bug?

Games is great, up to Day 3. There definitely seems a lot of room for optimisation, since you can do a lot of stuff at 2:00 AM.

There's at least two checks that you cannot pass, no matter what. Not even if you go full Bulgarian

What is second?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
so i got an item that improve my shivers skill and got some checks. it's just creepy.

i also met the dice maker and she told
when me made a bell-call to one of the company from outside, one of them connected to something called something electrical or whatever, and it is defunct company from 100 years ago. what? did my call just travelled trough the past?

the para-natural aspect is really cool, and quite creepy.

It was recorded call. Which constantly repeats itself each time you ring. Game tells you this directly, try to read texts.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
So how do the passive skill checks work in this game? Does the game actually rolls the dice and add your skill modifier or does it take the average of the two die (so 6) and adds it up?

Passive checks, i think, just add +6 to your score.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
From what I've tested, passive checks succeed when Stat + Skill + 6 equals difficulty; ranging from 6 (trivial) to 20 (impossible), thus making even stat values generally preferable, because with S+S < 2 you will botch even the 8 (easy) checks, like noticing the window in your room is broken. However there seem to be exceptions, eg. Reaction check when Klaasje goes to her room has difficulty o 9 (easy), IDK if it's a bug or design.

Stats does not matter, only skills.

Stats are to set starting skills at start of game.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
My best try got 6 people dead including the mercs. It is a total mess,also once you get certain thing done,you are forced in to this encounter and end up with locked out quests later. It is the worst part of the game.

6 also for me. 3 mercs and 3 workers.

Jinn

Arcane
Wooh, just finished it. Still reeling. No words

Haha. I take it that "one ingame day to one real-life day" rule fell to the wayside pretty quickly.

Not that I blame you at all, of course. Glad to see another positive impression of the ending after seeing a lot of disappointment in the thread about it. Must have some ways of playing out differently.

At this point my view of the ending is quite positive. Its not going to work for everyone and there are some things that I wish were done a bit differently, but I appreciate what they were trying to do and it certainly worked for me.

Prime Junta

Wooh, just finished it. Still reeling. No words

Surely, that's at least 8.

So what happened to your dude?

Cracked the case. Found the phasmid. Went on a nice date. Found closure with the ex-wife. Too many people died on the way. Feeling like a human being, and back to being a cop, with Kim maybe putting in an application to Precinct 41, even though he thinks I'm sometimes a bit much with the superstar and the Communism. Didn't find the password to the Fortress Accident production schedule or crack open that fucking freezer. Didn't let Evrart/Edgar fuck over the fishing village -- at least I think that's what would've happened --, didn't sing karaoke, didn't invent the future of dance music. At some point I wasn't feeling the superstardom anymore, wiped that Expression off my face, shaved, and tried -- with varying success -- to try to act like a decent human being.

Edit: Starting stats were 2/5/3/2

Edit: also

the phasmid made me cry

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom