Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you play more female characters or male ones, and why?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ThatsRacists.gif

RPGMaster

Savant
Only in Mass Effect and only because the male voice acting is so lifeless it makes me want to smash my head repeatedly against the desk.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
My "main character" is almost always male and he is almost always good at fighting.

Depending on the number of unique icons and the distribution of the good portraits, I'll often include some females in the party, typically only in gender appropriate roles like wizard or thief.

I'm not really comfortable with using young male portraits for wizards, I have trouble respecting a guy who would let his combat ability atrophy that much. They usually don't include good old man portraits for wizards, so I typically resort to using attractive female portraits in that role, although I kind of doubt that females would be good at magic.

My ideal party would probably be like:

Male - Warrior - face covered by helmet

Male - Fighter/Cleric - face covered by helmet
Male - Cleric - face covered by helmet

Male - Fighter/Rogue - face partially covered by mask

Male - Fighter/Mage - face partially covered by mask (young)
Male - Mage - wearing hood, with beard, face partially shadowed (old)

But they never have enough good portraits or unique icons so I usually use some females. I avoid bad portraits and duplication of icons at all cost.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Usually it doesn't matter as you usually got the 1001th Swine herder who rise to be the Chosen One(tm). In more serious RPGs with some C&C and and nonlinerality I pick Men as fighters and Womyn as rogues. Never play as elfen robes wearing magic casting faggots though outside Arcanum. :smug:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I always play male characters, unless the game allows me to play an old witch, then I will play the crone. I think I might be an ancient old hag in a young man's body.

In party-based games I always have a balance of males and females. Usually:

1 male fighter
1 female/male fighter
1 female/male rogue
1 female healer-type
1 male spellcaster
1 female spellcaster

In games where you can have super-different parties I'll mix it up, but usually still keep to 3 males and 3 females.

Luzur

Good Sir
I myself alyways pick human female, and usualy an mage if posible.
Don't have a perticular reason for it, i just love seeing my alter ego to be pretty female, also i like if there are hawt armors, they somehow look much better on female then male, especialy stuff like plate mail, or archmage robes ( if any)
grace_holley_plate4.jpg

l2_elf010bg54483QW5.jpg

sexcellentti7.jpg

stock-photo-brunette-warrior-in-fantasy-plate-mail-with-two-swords-76655575.jpg

87243616.jpg

human_mage.jpg

I can't even remember when i last played male char : S

ya know, if you use a knife on your crotch you can really become that warrior queen with hawt armor.

also, whats with all these "I DUN WAN STAER @ GUY ASS WAJL LARPIN N SKAYREM" posts i see on the net when this things are discussed? in TES games you play in FPV mode so you dont get to see any ass at all, if you dont play in that horrible 3 person mode, but thats just fucked up.

also, it is more advised to stare at your surroundings/HP-MP levels then on your own ass in RPG's, with all the monsters and all ya know.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, about The Ass Matter, how about, let' say, the first BloodRayne... or... FAKK: Heavy Metal? Stare at your surroundings, eh?

praetor

Arcane
95% male (only when i play pure casters do i choose a female, or when there's an in-game difference)

Harpsichord

Arcane
Almost always female, but some settings will spur me to make a male character.

Always a guy in Mount & Blade for instance. Similarly, I made a male character to play through the AoD demo because it's Roman flavored and it jars my sensibilities to think of a woman going around adventuring in that kind of a setting.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Stare at your surroundings, eh?

If you play a man, you like looking at men and are therefore homosexual
If you play a woman, you want men to like you and therefore you're a homosexual
if you have play a genderless robot/monster, it means you're uncomfortable with your natural species image and therefore a homosexual
if you play a scary monster/robot, it means you're overcompensating and therefore a homosexual
if you play a cute monster/robot, it means you have an overactive maternal complex and are therefore homosexual

this whole 'why don't you play your actual gender/why would you play a different gender' faux-debate is prime example of 'your tribe or my tribe' mentality and seeing what you want to see in others

Mass Effect :Femshep, mark meer's voice annoys me, plus space bodysuits are AWEESSSOOME why am I not in the true future
Kotor I+2: Male, also because carth onasi
FNV: Male
BG1+2: Male, also because anomen
Sacred: Dwarf, seraphim looks like a parade hooker, dark elf runs like he has something up his ass
Fallout 1+2: Male, female on evil runs for maximum difference
Guild Wars: Female classes with exception of male assassin and ranger, because the other males are either beefcakes or metrosexual
Ultima: Male, because 80s hair is the mark of a hero and female kinda looks silly with the skirt on like some wonder woman reject
Roguelikes: Male because I want to be Aragorn
Diablo 2: Core classes except necro
Streets of Rage: Anyone, but skate and old guy less so
Street Fighter: Ryu because the females require finesse and actual skill
Guilty Gear: Kliff because I'm casual-tier terrible with anyone else don't judge me Vaarna
Artificial Girl 2: Male

In short you stopped giving a shit two lines into that list and that's because you don't really care.

laclongquan

Arcane
Always female. Look at those pixelated ass, and tits, and thighs. Hmmmm~

PST, fallout2 certain runs to get specific results, Silent Storm Sentinels, Hammer Sickles, are about the only times I must play male.

laclongquan

Arcane
Oi, the expansion, remember? You are caught and imprisoned in potatoland with a fellow, Boris. If you start by rescue a captain, or prevent a bank robbery, then it's the original S2.

Anyway, why the hell you snip my quote?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I 'snipped' your quote because I read 'Silent Storm' and that reminded me of my uncommon choice of customisation there. Since it was a response to that specific term, that's all I need to quote.

I dunno, do you consider it a slur that I modified your post? Is this some techno-mormon thing?

deuxhero

Arcane
Always female, because the dialog is always written with males in mind, often resulting in yuri flavored lulz (and the one game where the girl was the primary character for the writing I can think of, there are INTENTIONAL yuri flavored lulz).

Also male PC voices are terrible.

laclongquan

Arcane
I 'snipped' your quote because I read 'Silent Storm' and that reminded me of my uncommon choice of customisation there. Since it was a response to that specific term, that's all I need to quote.

I dunno, do you consider it a slur that I modified your post? Is this some techno-mormon thing?

Obviously. My words are my bond, my image, my temple. Sir you've given most grievous insult. I demand satisfaction at dawn.
Name your weapon and you second, :obviously: , if you please.

laclongquan

Arcane
Barbarian! You should know that nothing raise the appetite than the prospect of eviscerate someone before breaking your fast. :obviously: :tea:

Internet horrors? You are on. And my second is prossssssssssssssssper.

Unleash the tubgirl!

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
although I kind of doubt that females would be good at magic.

Marry one and you will find out how good they are at the vanishing jewgold trick and ''boil my blood" spell. Not to mention being led to altar in first place which is clearly higher tier of Mind Control Magic. And the best Witch in SW? Yes Kreia who manipulated Raven, Masters, Sith Lords and Exile.
M:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Pretty much 50/50. I'll pick more or less at random unless there is a reason to go one way or another, i.e. clearly superior voice actor or fits the character I'm making a bit more.

That said, I have started a habit of using my girlfriend as the basis for appearance in games with character customization. Is that weird or creepy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom