Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Downfall - Stargate CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by MercantileInterest, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Usury Arcane

Usury
    developments (open)

At the end of page one, you can see a D2 rolling option. I used this to break the tie before Lambchop changed his selection but the result was the same in either case. The Brazilian Slaughter, you sent the last 40,000 survivors to three worlds, which is why Crom got 13,000. This time around, we're sending ten SG teams to Crom for scouting.

Day 55

"It's Mad Max out there." Tech Sergeant Leonard flipped on the surveillance camera.

Outside the base entry tunnel, a great swelling throng waved weapons and chanted. In scraps and rags, lugging bags and shopping carts, a mob numbering in the tens of thousands screamed hoarsely. Hundreds of trucks and sedans heaped along the road. Men with rifles and shotguns made obscene gestures at the door. The camera conveyed no sound.

"They marched up here from the south." The sergeant continued. "They're convinced we've stockpiled provisions. They know about the other survivors who came here before. They think we killed them to hoard all the food for ourselves. They're demanding we re-provision them."

"How many are we looking at?" Wellesy asked.

"I'd say about 70,000, sir."

Wellesy wondered whether it would be possible to outlast the mob. They would run out of water in less than a day. Then they would have to move west into the mountains, unless they had sufficient organization to send some of their number to bring back water. It would be foul stuff, contaminated with chemicals and radioactive particles, but still better than death by thirst. He could try to move them through the stargate, but they were already suspicious. Besides, the SGC was currently shipping its own stockpiles to the Alpha Site to stave off starvation there. The 13,000 in the Land of Light were having trouble with the natives and the Savannah gate remained buried.

"Sir..." Sergeant Leonard pointed to the screen.

A truck towed up a large artillery piece. The mob began chalking it to point towards the entrance of the SGC. Others began unloading shells. It was an M777 Howitzer.

[​IMG]

---​

decisions (open)

1) Seal the doors and prepare to defend.
    2) Order a preemptive strike before the mob is ready, clearing the area with machine gun fire.
    3) Attempt to speak with the mob, offering supplies (which you don't really have in sufficient amounts.)
    4) Offer relocation on Crom.
    5) Offer relocation on 'Paradise' World Z9X-0001.
    6) Send them to Goa'uld slave world M3X-502 (from post #2).
    7) Pile 'em up in the Land of Light.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    2) Order a preemptive strike before the mob is ready, clearing the area with machine gun fire.

Kill for fat howitzer loot if needed! It is army property after all, we need to reclaim it. They have to give it back peacefully or face the legal consequences.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    From the day we accepted the refugees, I KNEW this would happen! But I accepted it because that was the best alternative - we needed more manpower at the time.

Looking at these survivors, these guys are desperate, but I don't think they're merely some civilians and amateurs. They go a bonafide M777 Howitzer and are loading it.
    I suspect military or ex-military personnel. Perhaps lots of them.

Hmmmm... my instincts tell me to shoot at the rabble with machineguns and take that bitchin' howitzer for ourselves. Would also send a nice "fuck off we're full" message to all the people that keep coming to Cheyenne Mountain.

My other instincts tell me that we can use these people.
    Namely, we could counter their barbarians with our own techno-barbarians.
    Unleash a horde of Mad Max Road Warriors upon Crom.
    Not very humane, but this will screw the tribes something fierce.

What do you guys think?

I swear I remember myself saying to send them to Mining World instead of Crom. Weird.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Well, color me red and call me a commie but I wasn't expecting that. I'm all for BLAMING Xenos at first sight, but humans? That's a bit trickier :negative:..
    Will answer tomorrow after my morning injection of Caffeine.

^ Top  
  5. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Ok, yeah.

^ Top  
  6. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    What's Alpha Striking gonna achieve? We'll kill a few dozen now but there is 70 000 of them, they'll just be back the day after and besiege us if they don't zerg rush us and kill us all. We COULD send them to that paradise planet, that seems like it would be tempting enough for them. That'll let us know if that planet is safe or not. Those guys aren't the smartest and brightest of humanity now, are they? I feel like sending them on Crom would just make that planet even more of a mess than it currently is...

^ Top  
  7. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    A dozen? There guys are a big mob, SG teams could easily take down hundreds of them with high-powered rifles and, you know, being an actual skilled military force.

Well, for starters, we can weaken them and then get that big ol' cannon for ourselves, or explode the thing to deny it to them.
    They can't sustain a siege, Wellesy says that they have less than a day of water. If they're organized enough (which is possible, see Howitzer), they could get water from elsewhere nearby, but it would be contaminated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Mountain_Complex#Blast_doors

Blast doors
    [​IMG]
    The 25-ton North blast door is the main entrance to another blast door (background) beyond which the side tunnel branches into access tunnels to the main chambers.
    The bunker is built to deflect a 30 megaton nuclear explosion as close as 2 kilometers (1.2 mi).[15] Within a mountain tunnel are sets of 25-ton blast doors and another for the civil engineering department. The doors were built so that they can always be opened when needed. Should a nuclear blast hit the building, they are designed to withstand a blast wave. There is a network of blast valves with unique filters to capture airborne chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear contaminants.[13]

So yeah, without that cannon, they are not getting in, at all. I'm not even sure if their cannon can blow up one of these.

Ins't that planet a barren moonscape with a virtual reality machine? What even happened there?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Ok, so I guess blasting them might be safer than I thought. Still, that we would be essentially cutting ties with Earth for the foreseeable future. Are we ready to do so already?

Is that a SG lore thing? Because MercantileInterest hasn't said anything about it. As far as we know nothing happened yet, it's just a planet too pretty and clean to be safe.

^ Top  
  9. Usury Arcane

Usury

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Missing your :it's a mystery: button yet?

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag

^ Top  
  12. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    5) The military's mandate is to safeguard the nation, that is to say, the civilians by proxy. The nation is lost, so now we safeguard humanity. We should never lose sight of that fact. As such, sending a bunch of understandably unprepared civilians to a relatively unexplored planet is something we'd ideally like to avoid. But! Desperate times... We'll know soon enough if it's safe or not, if they take the deal.

And we certainly cannot jeopardise the other colonies. Any outpost established with these 70k must be considered a revolt risk.

^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  14. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    5>4>6>7

^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    5>2

I'm taking a big shot in the dark with this one.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    ^ Top  
  16. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Aah fuck it, I'll join the herd on that one

^ Top  
  17. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    2 > 5 - They brought a gun and now this is a gunfight. I don't trust them inside the base, not when they are this militant. They don't trust us. They'll take the base if we let them in. But I will join the 5 mob as my second choice, as it's the most likely to work...unless whatever is there eats the first party we send.

This is the fault of everyone who decided to broadcast our location. Wtf was the point of that?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Edited my vote from 5>1 to 5>2

I swore that 1 was the pre-emptive attack.

Still open to being convinced to attack first.

I honestly think a pre-emptive attack is better than bunkering down. Because of the gun. The gun may be strong enough to blow our blast doors. Otherwise, we could just tell them to fuck off and laugh while they pointlessely try to open our nuke-proof blast-door. 70,000 people is a LOT of people, even assuming only 5,000 or 10,000 charge us, that's still a fuckload of people that we will fighting in huge mobs in enclosed spaces.

Yeah the big question is "will they hear us?" Because all we need is to have a few volunteers get inside, enter the stargate, talk to the other refugees, and they will know we're on the up and up.
    Also, I think this group includes former military personnel - a bunch of civvies would't have been able to figure out they need the gun and how to get it to work.

Getting more manpower? We ain't gonna beat the System Lords and claim worlds with a few hundred dudes.
    Sure we could just say fuck it and just recruit the primitives around the galaxy, but that's not as good as getting bonafide fellow Tau'ri.

^ Top  
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Quality, not quantity should have been our objective. We could have rescued people and we did, but we didn't need to broadcast our location to every pack of hungry niggers in Colorado to do it.
    The Tokra have been fighting the System Lords for thousands of years with only a few hundred dudes.

Surgical strikes and forming armies out of liberated planets should have been our objective.

Recruiting farmers etc is fine, but we didn't need 70k people who just want free food.
    Which only makes them more dangerous. It's also possible they could have stolen the gun from a nearby base and barely worked out how to use it, but that seems unlikely.

^ Top  
  20. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    The fact that every moment we don't close the door or take them out is a moment they can shoot into it? The fact that you want to let 70k hostiles into the base? How is that not enough?

^ Top  
  21. Usury Arcane

Usury
    Day 55 - continued

Wellesy flipped on the broadcaster. With the previous refugees, he had found it expedient to raise a loudspeaker outside the blast door, and his voice now crackled out over the mountain valley.

"This is Major General George Wellesy of the United States Air Force. This area is under martial law. Lay down your weapons. You will be provisioned and cared for."

The system had no means of hearing the mob's reply. It was not built to negotiate but to instruct. The Command Chief Master Sergeant phoned down from the entrance post.

"Sir, they're saying they don't trust us. They want us to send the supplies out."

The mob thronged around the howitzer. Some of them waved others away from standing in front of the barrel. The general glanced around the briefing room. He spoke into t he microphone again.

"This facility exists to study a portal to an alien world." The crowd stopped. "This world appears to contain a cornucopia of goods. I invite you to send a dozen representatives to examine it. After they return, and you've had a chance to hear them, you can decide whether you wish to resettle on the alien paradise. Over and out."

The swelling thousands bubbled like an ant-hive. All the men in the briefing room stared at the surveillance camera. The crowd's argument stretched on. The general turned to the man on his left.

"Dr. Jackson, take our guests to Paradise. I'll send Mendelssohn to snap you out of it if you go glass eyed like the last group."

---​

The crowd sent its representatives and Dr. Jackson took them to Z9X-0001. After they returned, the mob discussed the matter for two hours. As seen through the camera, they became quite agitated. At last, they sent an ultimatum: they wanted the gate brought outside of the complex. Many thousands suspected that it was some sort of dematerialization engine and that the SGC had bribed the representatives to talk the rest of the crowd into willingly walking into it. They would only go through if they could see the representatives doing it first. Naturally, this would require the removal of the gate from the base.

---​

decision (open)

1) Agree
    2) Refuse

EDIT: They would just believe video footage was edited.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    ^ Top  
  22. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    2) Refuse

Can't we set up some video feed for them? The gate can't work outside the base, no dialling device. Needs the whole chevron locking thingamajig.

Should have gunned down the lot and took the howitzer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    2) Refuse

If we wanted to kill them, we would't have told them a thing, just shot them up and taken the gun.

To be fair to them, they're not entirely wrong. You can totally use the gate like that. But we won't.

Taking the gate out is a bad idea, even if we can get it to work, it might be absent when we need it.

Seems like the best choice.
    We can also tell them to go to our other planets and meet fellow refugees.

^ Top  
  24. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Oh heeeeeeeell no bitches

^ Top  
  25. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    2) Serious security risk.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)