Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First "Harvest Moon" and now this. Get this minecraft shite out of my nippon RPGs goddammit.
The thing is that Minecraft is doing well in Nippon. Even Minecraft on the PlayStation Vita is doing decently over there. Now think Dragon Quest x Minecraft. Should be a fucking gold mine. Dragon Quest XI is still going to be a classic offline rpg, on home consoles to boot.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I figured, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna rage about it. You should also remember that Dragon Quest XI isn't really a thing yet, so it could still be the Final Fantasy 12 of the series for all we know.

Plus, when was the last non-dynasty warriors related Dragon Quest game even localized? We're going to be sitting on our asses on that title for a long fuckin' time.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I think it could be fun :oops:

Think a big budget Minecraft clone with a bigger focus on the PvE elements than the autism simulation.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
lol, kind of

In case it wasn't clear - I'm hoping that the game will be more like Terraria in that it has a clear progression that's fun to undertake on its own. I would expect some kind of action RPG system

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From Gematsu

Gameplay

In the beginning, the world is empty. Players are tasked with creating items, towns, and castles, which they can do by collecting materials from all around the world. There are also monster battles.

“Dragon Quest Builders is a completely new block-making RPG where players must recapture and restore the land of Alefgard after it’s destroyed by the Dragonlord. The vast world of Alefgard is expressed through blocks, which players can freely create, destroy, and remodel as if they’re in a sandbox or playing with building blocks. Please try to create an innovative Alefgard!”

Characters

Protagonist – A hero (boy or girl) that possesses the special ability to create items from all things. Designed by Akira Toriyama.
Dragonlord – An evil sovereign who has been ruling the world for the long years since the humans lost their hero.

I'm personally not interested, but it does have potential to sell well.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Wait, what platform is this for?

Dragon Quest Builders

I will make a dungeon where the only enemy encounter is Gold Batboons, they have a 50% chance of using the sacrifice spell, and perma death exists.

I will make a dungeon where the only enemy encounter is Gold Manboons, they have a 50% chance of using the ITZ spell, and permaban exists.

Enhanced.

Feels kinda gimmicky like most DQ titles of late, but might be interesting. I think I'm going for the ps3 version because this doesn't look like the sort of game you can count on fanpatches to fix.

Avellion

Erudite
Leaked logo of Dargon Quest 11

Logo-Leaks_07-27-15_001.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-xi-logo-leaked-ahead-reveal

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Probably going to be on a Nintendo platform despite all the talk of it possibly being on a Sony platform.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I was partially right:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1085666
Announced for PS4/3DS/NX (Dragon Quest X announced for the PS4 and NX too.)
  • Two different games with the same story similar to Ni no Kuni.
  • Both games slated for 2016 release to coincide with series 30th anniversary.
  • The two games will still have the same core staff working on them.
  • Is being made for the PS4 and 3DS (probably New3DS)
  • PS4 version is developed with the assistance of Orca.
  • PS4 version runs on UE4
  • PS4 version is open(-ish?) world. Similar to DQVIII
  • 3DS version is developed with the assistance of Toy Logic.
  • 3DS Version presents a classic 2D Sprite style on the bottom screen.
  • 3DS version will have 2D sprite battles + random battles when playing with the D-Pad and 3D battles when playing with the circle-pad.
Footage of 3DS version.

Q3yXQtw.png

srucYfJ.png

0gyMXJo.gif

PehM23P.gif

egyVXhp.gif

ynnSDkZm.png

I'm predicting new Dragon Quest record sales for this game.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
More on DQXI:
- The PS4 version is a full open-ish world 3D game with jumping, platforming, exploration, and is fully proportional in scale like DQVIII. They didn't show any battles, but enemies are visible on the field, and it seems really early.

- The 3DS version has 3D graphics on the top screen and 2D graphics on the bottom screen. Looks to be reusing a lot of existing assets, but looks great regardless. There's two versions of everything for 3D/2D - towns, fields, battles, event scenes, etc. If the player uses the analog slidepad, 3D battles will initiate and the battles on the field will be symbol encounters (you see the enemies and can avoid them), if you use the d-pad, battles will be in 2D and they will be random encounters.

- Currently the 3DS version looks way more complete than the PS4 one. But both are slated to be released within the Anniversary next year in 2016.

Dragon Quest Builders gameplay:

Dragoncraft.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Would be kinda stupid NOT to have a PC port.

Look, I want more weaboo shit on steam as much as the next guy, but the real truth is these titles aren't quite as profitable there as we want to pretend they are. I think that Final Fantasy is the closest measuring stick that we can get: http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=final+fantasy So you're looking at ~400,000 copies if they're lucky. (I'm leaving out FF7 for obvious reasons) Thing is, Final Fantasy is a much bigger IP in the West than DQ is, so I think more realistically they'd get something closer to 200-300k sales. Of course, most of these sales figures are including games that have been heavily discounted, as well as keys from sites like nuuvem and the russian steam mafia. Is 200k sales, including those at a discount, enough profit to port a DQ game to PC? I have no idea honestly.

I will say that the minecraft game might have more appeal since builder type games are very popular on the platform.

I will also admit that dragon quest builders looks like it might be a lot of fun :oops:

Avellion

Erudite
Look, I want more weaboo shit on steam as much as the next guy, but the real truth is these titles aren't quite as profitable there as we want to pretend they are. I think that Final Fantasy is the closest measuring stick that we can get: http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=final+fantasy So you're looking at ~400,000 copies if they're lucky. (I'm leaving out FF7 for obvious reasons) Thing is, Final Fantasy is a much bigger IP in the West than DQ is, so I think more realistically they'd get something closer to 200-300k sales. Of course, most of these sales figures are including games that have been heavily discounted, as well as keys from sites like nuuvem and the russian steam mafia. Is 200k sales, including those at a discount, enough profit to port a DQ game to PC? I have no idea honestly.

I will say that the minecraft game might have more appeal since builder type games are very popular on the platform.

I will also admit that dragon quest builders looks like it might be a lot of fun :oops:
I am sure that will be enough to justify the port. Even with the discounts. If they do a good job, good sales are more or less guaranteed,

Good ports of console games like Valkyria Chronicles also outsold AAA games like the Ass Creed Unity on Steam.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That's not a particularly great example. Unity launched at 3x the price and was (rightfully) curbstomped everywhere for its bugs and glitches at release. VC has also reached a discounted price of $5 during sales, while Unity has gone to a low of $30. Despite this large difference in price, VC sold only a little more than double what Unity did. Point being Unity actually grossed more money, despite the fact that every outlet on the planet was declaring the game a complete mess. There's also all of the Uplay sales that are unaccounted for (No clue if that is a sizable number or not)

Like - I would love for every single DQ game to show up on Steam; I'm just pointing out that you're falling into the common mistake of presuming that these things will turn a huge profit and Square Enix is just too stupid to realize it. We can't pretend to understand how much money it costs to port a Dragon Quest game to PC. We also can't pretend to know just how well it would sell, especially when Final Fantasy - a much more popular series in the west, did not put up particularly mind blowing numbers. Only FF7 sold extremely well, and that's because it's FF7.

Hopefully the game being made in Unreal Engine 4 will increase the chances they give it a shot on PC.

(Edit - found this random snippet of trivia by happenstance: https://twitter.com/steam_spy/status/610089846166654976 that means 33% of the sales for VC were when the game was at $5. I'm sure it was still quite profitable all things considered, but these jRPGs aren't sales titans on steam)

Siveon

Bot
Well, this is weird. For one, I think the whole 2D/3D thing for the 3DS is totally pointless, why even bother showing two different versions of the same game on the same handheld? They should've just stick to one game and put all their time into that. Plus, there's also that PS4 version.

So there's basically three different ways to see/play the same exact game (as far as we know). Why not just make three separate games, but in like, the same world or whatever?

Yeah I'm jumping to conclusions but it still bugs me.

Avellion

Erudite
That's not a particularly great example. Unity launched at 3x the price and was (rightfully) curbstomped everywhere for its bugs and glitches at release. VC has also reached a discounted price of $5 during sales, while Unity has gone to a low of $30. Despite this large difference in price, VC sold only a little more than double what Unity did. Point being Unity actually grossed more money, despite the fact that every outlet on the planet was declaring the game a complete mess. There's also all of the Uplay sales that are unaccounted for (No clue if that is a sizable number or not)

Like - I would love for every single DQ game to show up on Steam; I'm just pointing out that you're falling into the common mistake of presuming that these things will turn a huge profit and Square Enix is just too stupid to realize it. We can't pretend to understand how much money it costs to port a Dragon Quest game to PC. We also can't pretend to know just how well it would sell, especially when Final Fantasy - a much more popular series in the west, did not put up particularly mind blowing numbers. Only FF7 sold extremely well, and that's because it's FF7.

Hopefully the game being made in Unreal Engine 4 will increase the chances they give it a shot on PC.

(Edit - found this random snippet of trivia by happenstance: https://twitter.com/steam_spy/status/610089846166654976 that means 33% of the sales for VC were when the game was at $5. I'm sure it was still quite profitable all things considered, but these jRPGs aren't sales titans on steam)
If I remember correctly. Steam Top Sellers List factored in the price of the game.

Well, this is weird. For one, I think the whole 2D/3D thing for the 3DS is totally pointless, why even bother showing two different versions of the same game on the same handheld? They should've just stick to one game and put all their time into that. Plus, there's also that PS4 version.

So there's basically three different ways to see/play the same exact game (as far as we know). Why not just make three separate games, but in like, the same world or whatever?

Yeah I'm jumping to conclusions but it still bugs me.

Yeah, it seems like a waste of power and money. Though,

2D Graphics>Ugly 3DS 3D "graphics"

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Avellion that's... unrelated. Lots of games randomly hit the top sellers. We're looking at actual data collected by number of copies owned on Steam. No matter how you look at it, especially when factoring in the huge bump when VC was $5, Unity grossed more money.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I will probably buy a PS4 for this one (and Bloodborne?) because I prefer home consoles but the 3DS version looks fucking good too.

Siveon

Bot
I'd probably stick to the PS4 version sorely for the fact that I don't want Dragon Quest whiplash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom