Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News EA has ruined BioWare

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Jaesun, May 2, 2011.

1. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: BioWare

<p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>According to this <a href="http://www.gamers-corner.co.uk/#/has-ea-ruined-bioware/4551017874">article at Gamer's Corner</a> (The Independent PS3 Gaming Info magazine) reports:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Bioware used to be one of the Old School development houses. A dev team that prided itself on turning out new games as an art form rather than a money making machine. Just like I.D. Software, it's games were "done when they were done". Gamers felt confident that it's products were released "by the gamer for the gamer". Labours of love that really understood the sort of game that the RPG player wanted to play. A Bioware product was the leader in it's field, innovative, deep, lengthy and polished. Did the end of that process begin in 2007 when EA took the to the helm?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Rather than being a pioneer for software quality, it seems that E.A. is a pioneer for business models. There are many common themes with E.A. published games - paid for DLC, pre-order bonuses, special editions, online activation codes etc. All of these are innovations in generating money rather than improving the quality of the game. Methods that increase the money you hand over and reduce the chances of selling the game to the pre-owned market.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Bioware's latest release, Dragon Age 2 included all of these "innovations". It had a signature edition that included "The Exiled Prince" DLC, basically asking you to pay more for DLC that's already on the disk rather than paying even more to download it. The Exiled Prince was available on day one so was obviously created as part of the standard development process and split off to generate more income. The game also came with an online code that enabled The Black Emporium and some items, a thinly veiled attempt to reduce the odds of resale. Bear in mind that these "extras" are nothing of the sort, they were created during the very short 18 month development cycle.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>18 months is not long enough to make a quality RPG, corners had to be cut along the way.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>What do you think? Has the golden era of gaming as an art form been lost forever? Will we ever see old school RPG's again, or are we destined for ever more dumbed down, short life cycle action RPG's?</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Yes, it is all EA's fault. Also The Golden Era of Gaming is now dead. Just FYI.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102659-has-ea-ruined-bioware.html">GameBanshee</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. Golden era of gaming now is indies getting popular on Steam. Get a larger variety of more interesting games.

And then you get the worst game ever made, which I see they took the video down for it probably because it shows you how amazingly retarded that fucking game is.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/92400/

^ Top  
  3. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    Parrots:
    RTwP is old school now.

^ Top  
  4. waywardOne Cipher

waywardOne
    Parrots:
    i can't believe no one saw this coming. WHY WEREN'T WE WARNED???!?!!!??!?!?!??!

^ Top  
  5. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Bullshit. Most RPG's don't take much more than this to make. Many take far less time without compromising much, if at all: Fallout 2,F:NV took barely a year, Risen, Gothic 2 shit even most of the better Bioware games didn't take 2 years to make. BG2 took less than 2 years to make and it's arguable Bioware's best game.

Corner cutting with DA2 has nothing to do with lack of time. It's all about doing the very least for the lowest price on a franchise that EA was never that enthusiastic about, just to shove some slop in the troth of DA:O fans while concentrating on ME. A neat 'fuck you, have this and enjoy it'.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Parrots:
    God, they have indie as a genre

everything is ruined forever

Why do I have to be like Cleve, crucified on the painful rightness of my own predictions

^ Top  
  7. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Parrots:
    someone code a steampunk zombie nerdcute version of scorched earth worms and put it on steam oh Christ tower defense metroidvania platformer yesssss

^ Top  
  8. Befuddled Halfling Educated

Befuddled Halfling
    Parrots:
    ITS NOT EA! IT'S 4CHAN and RPG CODEX.

^ Top  
  9. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Parrots:
    ^Are you serious, he really wrote that? God.

Bioware was already a ruin before EA bought them.

^ Top  
  10. Kaanyrvhok Arbiter

Kaanyrvhok
    Parrots:
    EA is to Bioware what the Spaniards were to the Mayans.

^ Top  
  11. Befuddled Halfling Educated

Befuddled Halfling
    Parrots:
    ^Yup. And here is one (of many) where he blames us

^ Top  
  12. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Parrots:
    If Laidlaw, Gaider and co had gotten more time to work on Dragon Age 2, would that have made the combat any good or the "story" any less shitty? I don't think so. I think most of the things I perceived as horrible in DA2 are things that would have been in the game even if it had gotten twenty years development time. Leave EA alone. This is all BioWare's shit.

Also, if I was on the Mass Effect team I would be pissed off as fuck on the Dragon Age 2 guys.

^ Top  
  13. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    Parrots:
    People are quick to blame those damn corporate fatcats at EA or Activision for shamelessly milking their customers with DLC, but the truth is that everyone is doing it.

Look at Arrowhead Studios/Paradox with Magicka: they went on record saying that they needed 30,000 sales to be profitable and, if the latest numbers are to be believed, they have sold more than 500,000 units. So what do they do to reward all those people that supported them? They release paid DLC at half the price of the full game.

Besides, if one considers Baldur's Gate 2 as the best game Bioware has ever created (or NWN like Volly), then Bioware has been steadily declining for the best part of the last decade. EA had nothing to do with it.

^ Top  
  14. Orgasm Barely Literate

Orgasm
    Parrots:
    AHAHAHHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    Large variety of shit platformers WELCOME BACK TO EIGHTY FUCKING FIVE

^ Top  
  15. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wait, a console gaming article complaining about the "dumbing down" of games?

It has come this far.

^ Top  
  16. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wait, a console gaming article complaining about the "dumbing down" of games?

It has come this far.

^ Top  
  17. misha Educated

misha
    Parrots:
    when I have finished reading this article, one thing came to my mind..
    console journalists started to read RPGcodex :smug:

^ Top  
  18. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    No ( read my sig plz. ). And when Spaniards came there were something actually to destroy, while here... Oh why I bother... :M

^ Top  
  19. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Fucking bullshit.

Bioware was declining the cRPG genre since its first cRPG. R00fles!

^ Top  
  20. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    Parrots:
    MCA
    Wow, the amount of butthurt in that quote is... wow. It's really ironic that he's the one in denial considering Codex is far from having a consensus on most Bioware games.

^ Top  
  21. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Restored to intended content.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    More fellatio on the net. Some people are born balls lickers and they're not even gay.

^ Top  
  23. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Parrots:
    Actually, what killed Bioware was Bethesda. Everybody expects nothing else than hiking sims on their "rpgs", and Bioware hasn't moved on with what people morons want.

They're stuck in time, recycling the same game over and over again with a slightly different theme slapped over the game.

^ Top  
  24. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    If that's true then hats off to EA, one shitty company less.

^ Top  
  25. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    Oh they have moved on allright... Button awesome moved on. :poop: . They even moved so further down from bethesda that now Oblivion looks like incline to the rpgs...

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)