Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

kris

Arcane
Imbecile said:
This is probably a really, really stupid question, but hey - I have to live up to my name.

Why does it never rain in a post apocalyptic world?

The deadlands wouldn't be so dead then. In southern California it makes sense anyway, it never rains there anyway, in DC... Well you can always speculate in how weather patterns change with apocalypse.

anyway, I never got to that ending everyone says suck, got tired before it.

A user named cat

NiM82 said:
Epic fail, if you wait around in the evening/night (I think it was around 9pm) she goes outside into the main entrance area of the museum for a smoke, you can cap her there any way you want. Or if you've got the sandman perk you can use that when she's sleeping.
She never left the room for a break in my game. Do you not think I wouldn't have tried that to see if she left the room? I also don't have the sandman perk.

Imbecile

Arbiter
What the fuck is with the kid city. How does that even make sense!
Where do the kids come from? Storks?

On the flip side watching Agatha play the violin to Fawkes (well, they were in the same room) was amusing.

sirfink

Scholar
Imbecile said:

They explain it if you talk to them. And there's two holotapes in the shop that explain its origins.

Basically, their parents left them there and told them they'd be back once they found help. Their parents never came back so they figured out how to make do on their own.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Phantasmal said:
GNR was actually a highlight as far as that entire area is concerned, for the obvious reason I won't spoil. Three Dog was a dumbass though, I laughed pretty hard at his one single emotional line before leaving him. It was delivered so badly, it stuck out like a sore thumb. His quest he gives you has the absolute worst reward ever though. Thanks for giving me the location of a place I had already been through near the beginning of the game, asswipe!

Did anyone else kill that waitress for the barkeep down in the Underworld? Either my game was bugged or there was no way to do it without alerting everyone. I even tried using a stealth boy and knifed her as she slept while nobody was around. Soon as I left the room, everyone attacked me though they couldn't have known shit. Had to use the console to kill her. Bugs bugs bugs bugs.

wait for her taking a smoke break outside the museum.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
sirfink said:
Imbecile said:

They explain it if you talk to them. And there's two holotapes in the shop that explain its origins.

Basically, their parents left them there and told them they'd be back once they found help. Their parents never came back so they figured out how to make do on their own.

That doesn't really explain why there are no adults after 200 years.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tintin said:
On my first playthrough it was like that too, I uninstalled it after the first Megaton quest, I just didn't feel compelled to play through.

However, since the great Saint Proverbius and Vault Dweller both seem to like it, I giving it another chance.

Megaton is generally crappy, as is Arefu which only seems to have one quest(a quest which leads to gayness). It's better once you get to Downtown D.C., generally.

Like I said, there's a lot I find fault with in the game. BUT.. It's a lot better than I expected, and a heck of a lot more faithful to Fallout than I was expecting. Then again, I was expecting a first person Fallout Tactics with a healthy mix of Fallout Enforcer. I was expecting a complete toss out of the retro-future setting.

A user named cat

It's getting more difficult to keep playing this damn game. So sick of seeing the same office buildings, the same file cabinets, the same mutant ogres and raiders, the same loot, the same everything in every dungeon. This game has less variety than Adventure for Atari.

For those who beat this game, how did you stand to keep trudging through such repetitive areas? Did you guys just skip most the areas and dungeons that weren't important for the main quest? I really hate to just stop now after getting this far into it, but I'm losing interest fast.

Imbecile

Arbiter
I seem to be finding the detail (filing cabinets/rubble/loot) a lot less interesting than the general features (huge satellite dishes in the middle of nowhere, why a vault went bad(!!!!), Abandoned museum, etc...).

If you are starting to flag, I'd wrap the game up sharpish. Its what I'm planning to do, even though I've heard the ending is shite.

Suchy

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
sirfink said:
Imbecile said:

That doesn't really explain why there are no adults after 200 years.
The only logical explanation woudl be that the kids fuck each other before reaching adulthood and leaving.

Bethesda gets a
sealofapprovaltg3.png

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, kinda.

Today I want to use this thread to share my frustration at modding SP games.

So, Bethout has a terribly UI. Well, I found some fun mods. I did some tweaking myself. Then I was basically happy with my interface and playing, until I found a very nice mod combining all three Status subpages. Unfortunately it has some flaws, so I spent the last week trying to figure out how those xml files work instead of playing.
So yeah, I kinda loathe SP game modding.

Other than that, I found some really annoying flaws such as jumping not working in some situations. Very fun when you're stuck in some rabble and have to reload. Hah!

Oh, and did you notice that wearing rad protection also protects you from radioactive food?

A user named cat

Claw said:
Other than that, I found some really annoying flaws such as jumping not working in some situations. Very fun when you're stuck in some rabble and have to reload. Hah!
If you get stuck somewhere - which I have as well a few times while exploring - open up the console with ~ and type in "tcl" minus the quotes. That simply enables no clipping so you can float out, just repeat the same process to disable it. There seems to be a random bug though when you either use that command or even open the console, sometimes your character's hand textures will begin to mutate until you restart your game. It's a rather bizarre but funny glitch everyone should see, after about an hour your hands end up becoming the size of raptor wings.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, thanks. I don't recall seeing this command in the help menu. It's still pretty annoying because it happens in many situations when I want to jump.

Deleted member 7219

sirfink said:
Imbecile said:

The kids were in the caves on a school trip when the bombs fell, the teachers and the parents present left video logs detailing what happened.

But since that was 200 years ago it doesn't explain why there are still kids around. Ok, we get the whole 'go to Bigtown when you grow up' thing. But there must be a place where new kids keep coming from. All the people in Bigtown are teenagers, and they've never mentioned having kids.

Suchy

Arcane
There are teenagers, because bethesda didn't make other models. I remember one of the girls in that town talking about taking care of another girl since her diaper times.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They should have made it similar to Logan's Run where the kids are kept in a separate area from the adults. In Logan's Run, the kids are put in their own part of the colony where they ran wild and the adults were in the more civilized part of the colony. Of course, that didn't make a heck of a lot of sense because kids went from chaos to an orderly society with not a heck of a lot of transition from what's shown in the movie, but at least that would explain where the kids in Lamplight came from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom