Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

uhjghvt

Scholar
it's a lot better than oblivion.

there are many, many more voice actors... but every voice actor from oblivion and morrowind is in it and it's pretty annoying

the ghoul bartender in megaton changed voices at one point, as if they recorded one of his lines later and he forgot how he did the voice

the default for "actor fade" is REALLY REALLY LOW by default, if you don't raise it it'll seem like you're getting ambushed out of fucking nowhere because raiders will fade into view charging at you 50' away and snipers will be able to shoot you from outside the fade aperture

Pliskin

Arbiter
Having played it for a few hours (yah, yah: I'm an easily manipulated tool of the corporate hype-machine --- that, and I'm easily distracted. Oh, look; a penny!), I can say it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Yes, it is no Fallout. (Matter-o-fact, in places, it's pretty obviously Oblivion in a hazmat suit). Even though, in places Bethesda has gone to great lengths to reference the world created by it's predecessors, it feels forced. If Bethesda had just pulled a name and a random post-apocalypse setting out of their ass (I dunno, "Raydiayshun Nayshun" or sumfink), this title would possibly have launched to a hearty round of "meh"s, and that would have been the end of it.

I'll say this for it, so far, I like it better than BioShock.

uhjghvt said:
it's a lot better than oblivion.

there are many, many more voice actors... but every voice actor from oblivion and morrowind is in it and it's pretty annoying

the ghoul bartender in megaton changed voices at one point, as if they recorded one of his lines later and he forgot how he did the voice

the default for "actor fade" is REALLY REALLY LOW by default, if you don't raise it it'll seem like you're getting ambushed out of fucking nowhere because raiders will fade into view charging at you 50' away and snipers will be able to shoot you from outside the fade aperture

In Fallout they only added voice actors for the most important NPCs, in Fallout 3 there is no dialogue without voice acting because EVERYTHING is important! "I saw a mudcrabman the other day, horrible creatures."

uhjghvt

Scholar
the karma system seems really badly calibrated. I had some "talon mercenaries" come after me for having too high karma but I've been trying to play a moderately evil character :?:

I murdered the overseer, I've robbed a bunch of people and the only good thing I can think of that I've done is find some kid's dead dad (and I even used the evil line for how to tell him) (and he called me an asshole LOL)

I don't know what's going on, maybe I'm getting positive karma from killing raiders or something?

uhjghvt

Scholar
I noticed that when you're sneaking around, some of the lines that the people you're sneaking near use are direct quotes from Thief e.g. "musta been just nothing"

I'd prefer a light crystal but it's a nice homage anyway

IdaGno

Educated
Cross-platform development = NO SALE.

What was the question?

Lingwe

Liturgist
I may consider purchasing the game of the year edition when it comes out if they release a cs for the game and the reviews of RPGCodex, NMA, and RPGWatch say it is not too bad.

To all those who bought it on release day: sucks to your assmar.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
uhjghvt said:
I don't know what's going on, maybe I'm getting positive karma from killing raiders or something?

My+name+is+Earl+1z.jpg

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I tried the game for a few hours.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW:

I didn't get that far yet, just finished most of the Megaton quests and preparing to head out. Some first impressions so far:

- the general impression I got can be summed up in one word: shallow; they had some obvious potential, even with the quests I've seen so far, but they didn't take advantage of it
- there are hardly any consequences to your actions; after disarming the bomb I was expecting the Cult of the Atom to have some kind of reaction, but the preacher doesn't say shit about the bomb being disarmed, just acts naturally. Also, the entire disarming quest was rather silly: you can't touch the bomb if you don't have Explosives 25, and after that you simply have the option to disarm it, just like that...
- If you tell the Sheriff about Burke, he will go to arrest him but Burke will shoot him; it is possible to act fast and kill Burke instead, but when you exit the building, the Sheriff will drop dead... TEH CONSEQUENCES.
- the minigames are not so bad, certainly better than oblivion
- for the moment it looks like you can do interesting things with hacking
- there seems to be better potential for steal/sneak characters, compared to the previous fallouts
- I like how radiation is implemented more than the previous games
- karma is indeed weird. In the first town I couldn't recruit a follower, apparently I had too much karma... What pisses me off is that I lose karma for hacking personal computers, but I guess it makes sense
- didn't have time to explore too much yet, but there seems to be some potential there as well (at least Bethshit has some experience with that)
- if you like shooters, tough luck, not even that is done right. When surrounded by several enemies with guns, you will die without VATS. With Vats is too easy. Most of the time I ended up making a few shots with VATS then shooting them fps style;
- also on VATS: why the FUCK do I have to see how I miss the target in slow motion? I didn't get bored of the gore and finishes with Vats yet, but I don't understand why every single shot with vats has to be in slow motion; I would have kept slo-mo only for the killing blow... Maybe there's an option to turn it off that I didn't see, I didn't have time to check throughly

That's about it for now, I'll resume playing later this evening.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe it was Zenimax' decision to have Bethesduh make fallout 3.

Ban Cloaked Figure.

Steel be with you!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lestat said:
Better than Oblivion, worse than Fable. Make what you will of it.

Hmmm, look like dog shit. Smell like dog shit. Taste like dog shit..... MUST BE DOG SHIT!

[/cheech & chong]

A user named cat

I was going to pirates of the caribbean this game and try starting up a 'let's play' thread, but now that people are actually playing it and showing off screenshots -- it looks so bad I really don't want the Oblivion headache experience again. I really hate even the look of this game. I'd probably rather do a Mistmare LP than this one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I actually entertained the idea of moving this game from inventory. But it looks like pure shit, I now have no interest in it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom