Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could at least be hopeful. Wasn't Skyrim a huge improvement over everything Bethesda did in the last years ?
What is there to be hopeful about?

Even if they blunder into making a good game somehow, it's still going to have shit rpg mechanics and it's still going to be terrible lore rape.

Being hopeful for Fallout 4 to be a good Fallout game is like hoping to win the lottery without buying a ticket. Sure such a thing has happened, but it's so unlikely, I wouldn't use it as a retirement plan.

2house2fly

Magister
That probably depends on your definition of "in the last years". Over Oblivion, sure, Skyrim was an improvement. But over Morrowind?

I sincerely hope it's really Obsidian's big next gen project, but I really doubt it. Ugh, I want to be excited but I just can't.
Heh, I'm the exact opposite. The site is probably a hoax, and even if it isn't it'll be a Bethesda game so it'll be 100 hours of fighting radiation dragons and asking everyone if they've seen a middle-aged man and there'll be no fucking ending. But still, "The Survivor" sounds like a really cool player character title, and that Tumblr image with the line "for a fire to grow there must be a glow" feels ominous(way better than "Vault 101... no-one enters... I am the water of life..."), and I can't help but feel a twinge of anticipation. I liked Fallout 3 for the random encounters, post-apocalyptic ruined city environments and set pieces, and another game's worth of those doesn't sound bad as long as Obsidian get to work on a sequel to that with actual writing again.

Being an improvement over Oblivion is like smelling better than shit.
Missing the point, it's as simple as this: Every game since oblivion has gotten progressively better, especially in regards to it's respective franchise. If they follow that progression, then Fallout 4 should be equal to or better than New Vegas in c&c and rpg aspects. (Although I am doubtful of that.)Skyrim's shitty levelling system existed before Skyrim, and we've had two Fallouts without it, why would they add it now?

Besides that, I don't think the mainstream AAA market is quite as friendly to decline as people think. The butthurt over DA 2's simplification was immense and pretty much universal, most of it stemming from the sheer lack of c&c, ME3 drama was almost entirely due to having a linear and generic outcome with little depth(And again, because it didn't enforce c&c), Fable 3 was panned for it's over simplified mechanics and shitty push A or B style c&c. All of the money kickstarter has made just with the promise of getting real, non-dumbed down RPGs.

If I get a game like New Vegas, with the budget of Skyrim, I'll be happy, I don't expect them to make the best rpg ever, I just expect them to learn from the previous games.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Every Bethesda game is three steps forward, two steps back (or vice versa) so expect a lot of derp sprinkled amongst those "improvements." My prediction: not as shitty as Fallout 3 (but few things are), far from New Vegas standards.

himmy

Arcane
Besides that, I don't think the mainstream AAA market is quite as friendly to decline as people think. The butthurt over DA 2's simplification was immense and pretty much universal, most of it stemming from the sheer lack of c&c, ME3 drama was almost entirely due to having a linear and generic outcome with little depth(And again, because it didn't enforce c&c), Fable 3 was panned for it's over simplified mechanics and shitty push A or B style c&c. All of the money kickstarter has made just with the promise of getting real, non-dumbed down RPGs.

Shhh! Everybody not on the Codex (and even 80% of Codexers) are retards who can barely hold a controller in their hand according to a lot of people here. Try to disagree and you will just be put in that pile, making debate more comfortable. As much as people here complain about black and white morality in games, they sure love it in real life.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Well, there's something to it though, isn't there? Skyrim was pretty much uncritically beloved by the gaming masses, as was Oblivion, until Skyrim came out and everyone magically realized how awful it was. There are still people, a LOT of people, who believe Fallout 3 is a superior game to New Vegas. Look at any of the super popular games right now, critically and commercially, and most are piles of shit. Not saying most gamers have no standards for good game design, just, like... they have standards in very shallow elements. The biggest improvement in Skyrim for most people (besides the graphics, obviously), was probably that hitting people with your sword feels better. How many reviews for New Vegas brought up skill checks or weapon balance or perk balance vs. how many praised the addition of iron sights?

Shadenuat

Arcane
If they follow that progression, then Fallout 4 should be equal to or better than New Vegas in c&c and rpg aspects.
Bethesda can create better engine than FNV, better graphics, better models, better landscapes, better animations and faces. Anything you can improve on by throwing more money into there, they can do. They can even create better combat and stealth, at least visually and maybe even... uh... kinesthetically? Can I even use that word for describing flow of combat? Well, never mind.
But they will never create better RPG than Obsidian, because they don't understand the design, the C&C, and it has been long time since they've written a good story.
I'd agree that Bethesda is kinda evolving after Oblivion, but that can carry you only so much, and can't substitute for real talent.

Gozma

Arcane
Why is Bethesda so shockingly incompetent at voicework stuff? I kinda think they are blundering around stupidly development wise and getting by on a dazzlingly effective marketing/business level and serendipity.

Besides that, I don't think the mainstream AAA market is quite as friendly to decline as people think. The butthurt over DA 2's simplification was immense and pretty much universal, most of it stemming from the sheer lack of c&c, ME3 drama was almost entirely due to having a linear and generic outcome with little depth(And again, because it didn't enforce c&c)

DA2 hatred was a really close run thing, I remember reading SA dealing with it and the "this is a gaming forum, that means we have to be enthusiastic" people that successfully protected stuff like FO3 were neck and neck with hategoblins that would fit in here. If there had been one successful meme that not liking DA2 was racist or homophobic or something it woulda been all over.

ME3 only fucked up in that they tried to go with badly constructed pretention instead of the smart bet of utter "Independence Day" cheese that the fans would have loved.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
at least Fallout 3 sloppily attempted to be a Fallout game.
"at least Ultima 9 sloppily attempted to be an Ultima game."

Have we played the same game? Fallout 3 is rape and betrayal of everything Fallout, and it's absolutely awful in every conceivable manner.
I'd even argue it's worse than Oblivion, which was at least fun to fuck around in for a while.

We all already know what's going to happen.
Fallout 4 will be released, and it will be incorrigible, buggy, crash-prone shit, featuring unprecedented levels of retardation.
The gaming media is going to fellate Bethesda, and their dumbfuck audience will slurp it up, and any old fans that weren't completely alienated by F3 will rage.

Bethesda simply doesn't get Fallout, and they won't ever produce a decent Fallout game until they do.

Now I'm butthurt again...

If they follow that progression, then Fallout 4 should be equal to or better than New Vegas in c&c and rpg aspects.
Bethesda can create better engine than FNV, better graphics, better models, better landscapes, better animations and faces. Anything you can improve on by throwing more money into there, they can do. They can even create better combat and stealth, at least visually and maybe even... uh... kinesthetically? Can I even use that word for describing flow of combat? Well, never mind.
But they will never create better RPG than Obsidian, because they don't understand the design, the C&C, and it has been long time since they've written a good story.
I'd agree that Bethesda is kinda evolving after Oblivion, but that can carry you only so much, and can't substitute for real talent.
You've got a point, but seeing as they change writers like they change socks, and we don't yet know the history of everyone currently on the dev team, I'd wait until release before judging it. I don't really expect them to do it as good as Obsidian, my wishlist for them would be a perk number rivalling NV without adding useless bloat like all fallout 3 perks, warring factions, c&c, and a character system that promotes replayability. Writing quality is hella subjective, but I would like companion quests like New Vegas, and some depth to the timeline and factions.

If Fallout wants the Skyrim fags who like real time skill levelling they should introduce proficiency a la borderlands. They sort of had that in NV in the form of perks being added when you used certain weapons, really that's just what I hope for 4, that Bethesda realize what Obsidian did better(everything) and emulate it.

deamento

Scholar
at least Fallout 3 sloppily attempted to be a Fallout game.
"at least Ultima 9 sloppily attempted to be an Ultima game."

Have we played the same game? Fallout 3 is rape and betrayal of everything Fallout, and it's absolutely awful in every conceivable manner.
I'd even argue it's worse than Oblivion, which was at least fun to fuck around in for a while.

We all already know what's going to happen.
Fallout 4 will be released, and it will be incorrigible, buggy, crash-prone shit, featuring unprecedented levels of retardation.
The gaming media is going to fellate Bethesda, and their dumbfuck audience will slurp it up, and any old fans that weren't completely alienated by F3 will rage.

Bethesda simply doesn't get Fallout, and they won't ever produce a decent Fallout game until they do.

Now I'm butthurt again...
Oh, bethesda gets what fallout is all about, but they preffer to make it complete shite so it'll sell to the people who liked skyrim (i.e. kids and mental patients)

Shadenuat

Arcane
You've got a point, but seeing as they change writers like they change socks, and we don't yet know the history of everyone currently on the dev team, I'd wait until release before judging it.
If they get that guy who was writing for Morrowind and created it's lore I'd give them a chance.
But Beth still has different views on design. In every game they make you still end up as a demigod master-of-all-guilds. And they can't do quests for shit. Even in Fallout 3 player had to walk into most idiotic places and do stupid shit for crazy NPCs like Moira/kids/old lady with violin and so on because you just don't have anything interesting to do in the game. Skyrim also had that problem, becoming a mage with zero skills in magic, and going to eat people and kill old people for daedra because there weren't any other quests to finish.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Why should Bethesda game have voices at all

I know, seriously, why?

DA2 is really hated for mostly undeserving reasons imo (and loved for other undeserving reasons)

Skyrim is indeed very overrated among game journalist, but with mods I can pretend it's something else I suppose.

I suppose that's why I still buy there games and stuff. (BG isn't bad though, gonna try that)

Seerix

Arbiter
All those sound files on the tumblr site make it seem like there'll either be some fancy sound recordings to find(or maybe finally that promised before Fallout 3 ability to tune for various signas and recordings that they "didn't get around to implement") or, which is pretty possible considering RAGE engine, those are garbled fragments of some cinematic sequences that will be in the game, so FO4 may be even more linear than Skyrim main story was. :)

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
If Fallout 4 has STALKER style weapons and combat I could put up with shit quests and story. Although, odds of that happening are less than o.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And it shouldn't either, but rather move to the opposite direction from a noteworthy FPS game.

majestik12

Arcane
Bethesda games are popular because they are
- One of the best Barbie Dress Up games (only rivaled by The Sims)
- One of the best Hiking games (rivaled mainly by GTA and its clones)
So the logical path for F4 would be more Sims elements (is in Hearthfire DLC) and more GTA-ish elements. If Bethesda could, I think they'd improve customization and player houses, and add horses vehicles, turning F4 into Saints Row with post-apocalypse. Only they can't really do that, because that would require technical ability that Bethesda folks have repeatedly shown to not possess.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If Bethesda could, I think they'd improve customization and player houses, and add horses vehicles,

Post apocalyptic for me is riding in a dune buggy shooting radscorpions.

Does gamebryo even support vehicles? I have a vision of the whole thing blowing up (in mini nukular eploxians, obviously) if they even tried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom