Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

himmy

Arcane
The site is registered by Zenimax so it can't be fake, I think.

Godaddy's a weird choice of registrar, and one they've never used before. And most damning of all:

Domain name resolves to 5.133.13.121 which has a reverse lookup of d13121.vibiznes.pl and that's some hosting company in Poland.

Does Bethesda use random Polish hosting companies? See: http://vibiznes.pl/

Edit: The source of the hoax being in Poland would explain the D/M/Y formatting of the morse code. Whoever rigged this thing up probably didn't even think to convert to M/D/Y which is the style of date an American person/company would use.

Ok fess up, which one of you potatos was it? :lol:

To be fair, if it is a hoax it's a pretty good one. They went deep with this shit. Apparently there's a file on the page called http://thesurvivor2299.com/radio/fall-river-6191da7f11n.mp3 (not available right now) with Fall River being a town close to Boston, which is a town mention by quite a while down the rumor train regarding Fallout 4's location.

Edit: Aaaand it's now got a counter. http://thesurvivor2299.com/

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
would be fucking hilarious if it was some russian shovelware PR stunt

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Guise guise reddit!!!1
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1qmedn/bethesda_registers_a_new_domain_is_it_happening/

Bethesda just registered http://thesurvivor2299.com/.

The website is a black screen with some morse code playing. The code is 11.12.13, which fans are speculating to be the reveal date of Fallout 4. Also, the year 2299 is close to the date of the last Fallout game, New Vegas.

So, we can pretty much say that it's happening, right?

Oh, here we go again.

Inb4 trailer for the teaser which will show us how many days until the countdown for the announcement of the sneak preview. :roll:

Stabwound

Arcane
This looks pretty fake, and you'd think they would have posted something official, or tweeted something, or anything to let people know it was real if that was the case. Anyone can register a domain with Zenimax's info, so that doesn't mean anything. It's no harder than writing a letter and using their address as the return address.

I'd consider this fake until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I will be very impressed if Bethesda uses a new engine for Fallout 4. However I fully expect them to keep using Gamebryo, and keep having loading screens upon entering every tiny little hut.

If Fallout 4 is Skyrim with guns then I won't play it, even brand whores have their limit, at least Fallout 3 sloppily attempted to be a Fallout game. If 4 blatantly goes against the standard that Obsidian set then I can guarantee I won't be even remotely interested. I'll wait for Fallout:San Francisco or stick to Wasteland.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If Fallout 4 is to Skyrim as Fallout 3 was to Oblivion, it would be a pretty decent game. I don't see it being "Skyrim with guns", especially since they seem to be positioning it as a purely next-gen title. I expect at least a good amount of technical advancement, and probably much less of a focus on infinite content than Skyrim had (that's kind of TES' shtick), which should lead to better quality of content (again, F3 vs. Oblivion). Hopefully they'll follow in the footsteps of New Vegas, and Skyrim to a lesser degree, and emphasize the role of factions. I just hope they don't get rid of VATS without replacing it with something better. Not digging the idea of an FPS with stats, Borderlands style.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Perk trees were good. Could be better implemented, but yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing those brought over.

I would also like them to bring over some of the crafting in Skyrim. Especially armor and melee weapons, would be a good fit for the Fallout setting.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The only things they should bring from Skyrim are the perk trees.
..... fallout already has perks.....
Really? I didn't know.

Perk trees were good. Could be better implemented, but yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing those brought over.

I would also like them to bring over some of the crafting in Skyrim. Especially armor and melee weapons, would be a good fit for the Fallout setting.
Assuming they don't ditch SPECIAL attributes, they can implement attribute prerequisites in addition to skill prerequisites for perks.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Assuming they don't ditch SPECIAL attributes, they can implement attribute prerequisites in addition to skill prerequisites for perks.

Yeah, that would be key. Also, I thought it was kind of stupid how most of the perk 'trees' in Skyrim were loops; I think it would be better if they used actual trees. Skyirm really didn't take full advantage of the tree structure to let characters become increasingly specialized - instead I just kind of filled out the trees related to my main skills and ignored the others. Also, too many "+25% damage" perks for a Fallout game. I like that most of the old FO perks are unique characteristics.

I'm very curious to see what they'll do for companions. I'd like to think they can't go back to boring throwaway followers after New Vegas, but it is Bethesda.

WTF are you guys talking about? It will cater to lowest common denominator of Bethesda audience. That's means more streamlining and simplification and "awesome" Bethesda stuff added in. Like Skyrim IS an improvement over Oblivion, but it looks more like an action/exploration game than an RPG (and it's not even that good when looked at like that). I'm thinking they're gonna be doing the same stuff with Fallout, now they don't have to give a fuck about "old Fallout" fans, as they have tested the market and their fans (next gen/modern) are the vast majority of sales. So Fallouts will be going more and more into direction of PA shooters with some RPG elements (as if Fallout 3 already isn't...). What the problem is, is that Bethesda is practically one of the last "major" players in making single player games, that they unfortunately define as RPGs, and therefore the industry follows example, and in about 10 years (maybe it already is the case?) everybody will think RPGs are action games with a bit of stats mixed in for a "flavor". Future devs that also grow up with such games will have inspiration from such games as Skyrim, Oblivion etc. and deeper RPGs and RPG elements will probably be gone...

Oesophagus

Arcane
Perks, c&c, factions... you people need to focus on what's real here, and that is the [SKILL] checks. Will they top I'm looking for my father, he's a middle aged man have you seen him?

Visperas

Augur
Most likely, Fallout 4 won't be a good RPG but I'll play it nonetheless. Also, we can hope that Bethesda learned something from New Vegas, right?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The less you treat Bethesda's take on Fallout as an RPG while just accepting it as an open-world FPS, the less likely you'll suffer brain-damage inflicted from prolonged peak-nerdrage.

"Just take it easy guys! Todd is back! And he's as cheerful as ever!"

:hearnoevil:

deamento

Scholar
What the problem is, is that Bethesda is practically one of the last "major" players in making single player games, that they unfortunately define as RPGs, and therefore the industry follows example, and in about 10 years (maybe it already is the case?) everybody will think RPGs are action games with a bit of stats mixed in for a "flavor".
It's already happening to be honest, a lot of people already think of rpgs like that.
When i'm playing a crpg at school, sometimes people ask me what kind of game it is, when I tell them that it's an rpg, they tell me that i'm stupid and that skyrim is an rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom