Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Feargus Urquhart and Fredrik Wester on the Pillars of Eternity distribution deal

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 19, 2014.

1. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I enjoy a good straw man just as much as a post I agree with. This time I had the benefit of both; I agree with the post, but disagree with its use in this argument.

^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Summary of suejak's argument.

suejak: "Obsidian ran out of money!"
    Infinitron: "But why would they even need to spend their own money on QA and marketing and distribution in the first place? Division of labor argument."
    suejak: "Uh, it's not about the division of labor! It's about how Paradox now has leverage over Obsidian. Yeah."
    Infintrion: "But they don't have leverage because Obsidian could easily replace them with another alternative in which the distributor gains no stake in the final product. See for example inXIle."
    suejak: "But...but...you guys hate Double Fine!!!"

:lol:

^ Top  
  3. bledcarrot Educated

bledcarrot
    I think suejak makes a pretty good point. If the deal was just for distribution for a percentage of profits, so be it, but the fact that it included QA (alarm bells) and kickstarter rewards says to me that they needed Paradox more than Paradox needed them. The whole QA thing doesn't gel as a division of labour issue when in this day and age you can leverage open beta and early access to iron out bugs before release. The danger is always that 'QA' leaks in to 'development duties.'

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    And that's precisely what they could do, but have chosen not to. If you look at Wasteland 2's reception on the Codex, it's hard to blame them. Obsidian is interested in releasing a more polished beta than other Kickstarter projects have, but if push comes to shove, they don't have to.

No other Kickstarter project has this level of completeness at pre-release. Certainly not Wasteland 2.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    They do QA on their own as well. The only thing this means is that Obsidian wants a bigger QA pool.

I doubt they care all that about potential leaks as well.

^ Top  
  6. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    Infinitron, I don't know where you got confused, but I'll put it into a sentence for you:

Obsidian, running low on Kickstarter funds, took on an "opinionated" publisher who needs the game to be profitable to gain a return on its large investment.

The Double Fine thing is just an ironic comment on fanboys, not part of the argument. You're blind and biased.

^ Top  
  7. bledcarrot Educated

bledcarrot
    The question is why have they chosen not to? If the answer is simply that they want to release a more polished beta, then great. But the alternative is that they potentially needed Paradox, Paradox know it, and the polished beta might be polished with their spit....or something. OK that analogy kind of petered out. Anyway I don't necessarily think this is the case, I just think suejak raises a good point that the potential for that scenario is there.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Suejak: You are aware that Paradox hasn't actually given Obsidian any money, right? You can't pay your developer's salaries with QA and marketing services.

If Obsidian had a money crisis two weeks ago, they still have it now.

What other reason could there be? It doesn't cost much to put your game up on Early Access and start swimming in cash. Obsidian's choice to use Paradox's services is a luxury, not a necessity.

^ Top  
  9. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    How much profit Obsidian is getting out of this seems completely irrelevant to the enduser imo.

Josh is a pretty straight-forward person and has never been deceptive. Your armchair accountancy is wrong.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. bledcarrot Educated

bledcarrot
    But maybe you're right and they wanted a polished beta all along. Maybe they had kickstarter funds allocated to QA and distribution all along, with this in mind, and they've now come up short on dev, and instead of going early access with a turd, they've sought to free up those funds by bringing in Paradox to polish it. So yes, you can pay your developer's salaries with QA and marketing services by freeing up previously allocated money. Look, I have no idea if this is the case. But in my opinion the potential for complications arises when 'middle men' have creative influence, and QA is one potential way in which they can. They should be distributors and that's it, as far as I'm concerned, to avoid these kinds of potential problems.

^ Top  
  11. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    As mentioned before:

Obsidian can tell Paradox to go fuck off. Immedialty. They don't have to listen to ANY QA design input. Paradox design influence is actually less than the backers. THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED

If Obsidian force-changes something they believe to be good and it goes negative into the game than that is OBSIDIANS OWN FAULT. Then they suck at their jobs, because they can just as well say NO.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    bledcarrot That's fair. I'm not so worried about Paradox's QA guys though. Heck, Paradox is a less mass market/less popamole company than Obsidian. I'm not worried about them asking for anything to be dumbed down. That's more likely to come from Obsidian's own QA guys. :lol:

^ Top  
  13. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Josh has written down "Working as designed" in response to QA feedback on more than one occasion. :M

Plus as a I wrote down on the last page "The main changes are that Paradox will handle the QA for things like localization and compatibility testing - things that Obsidian would have to outsource anyways."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. bledcarrot Educated

bledcarrot
    Yeah I've gotta say, the fact that it's Paradox who are the other party in this deal offsets most of my concerns. I think it'll work out fine.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. kris Arcane

kris
    I already paid for a boxed version when I finded the kickstarter. I sure hope that it is more than a "possibility"

^ Top  
  16. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    I don't know how many times I need to explain the economics here. Maybe this is why the PR is so effective -- people, especially fanboys, just don't understand the math. Infinitron responded to my last post on this topic with an irrelevant opportunity-cost analogy that got brofisted to all shit, so I must not be a good educator.

Taking on another studio's costs is a form of investment. Paradox is losing money from this, in the present. Obsidian is reducing costs on this project, and hence its remaining cash will last longer. This is fundamentally the same as writing a cheque to Obsidian (in exchange for a cut of future profits).

Let's assume you pay rent every month. $400/mo = 12*$400 = $4800/yr. Now if somebody offered you $4800 in cash, that's one thing. In this case, Paradox offered to make your rent $0/mo. Because they are paying the rent for you. You have $4800 more in your pocket, and they are -$4800 in the hole.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    I think he means an actual retail version.

^ Top  
  19. kris Arcane

kris
    I know he means that, but I am saying a boxed version was always planned. which mean its design and production will happen.

^ Top  
  20. Arkeus Arcane

Arkeus
    That's actually wrong- Obsidian has decided to do its own Q&A in-house and with the Beta for PoE, the Q&A done by Paradox is almost solely when it comes to localizations.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I disagree. A consumer should do his or her part to avoid products made from an inequitable agreements.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    Actually Double Fine got attacked because they ran the incredibly halfassed massive chalice kickstarter then waited for it to be over before telling anyone they ran out of money.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    It has less to do with why they were attacked and more to do with the phrase "ran out of money."

This phrase implies incompetence that sends fanboys screaming. But Double Fine and Obsidian both "ran out of money" in the exact same sense.

Double Fine self-publishes but releases "early access" to fund the entire vision. Obsidian gets publisher funding to fund the entire vision.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    They were always going to produce a certain number of boxed copies to satisfy backer demands. There's 0 risk in those copies because they've already been paid for. Extra copies of the game for actual retail does constitute a risk because they might not sell, though, and it makes sense that it would be up to Paradox since they'd be the ones paying for the extra copies. We'll get our boxed copies whether they produce extras or not.

Just because Obsidian has formed this partnership doesn't mean that they've run out of money, and it doesn't mean it will impact the quality of the game in a negative way. There is no reason to just assume that it's the end of the world and the game will suck now

^ Top  
  25. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Your paranoia is amusing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)