Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Former WoW Dev: "I think we killed a genre."

Zeriel

Arcane
He should have said, "Our bottom line always evolves."

They realized they could make more money by targeting a new audience, ta-da! And so it was.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

They realized they could make more money by targeting a new audience, ta-da! And so it was.

I would appreciate such honesty, but the video game industry is full of scum, double speak, and deception. Fuck them.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Claiming to be a WoW killer has nothing to do with anything, its just a marketing ploy to get more people to play the game, in the end the quality of the game will make players play it or abandon it.

But if people only play quality games, why did WoW ever get so popular?

Lol this is a hilarious statement as people (including on the codex) laments on how the industry is turning out and it all has to do with people incapable of distinguishing quality from a polished turd.

Of course, Kotick has to make the shareholders happy or no bonus and no VG industry.

edit* I guess Blizzard is right, either get ahead of the trend of "broadening" the audience or go bankrupt.
Our ambition is to absolutely continue with that brand and we will also, in the next phase, look to making it more accessible for a broader gamer audience."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/23/metro-a-positive-experience-for-deep-silver-will-absolutely

Last edited:

RobVanHelvete

Barely Literate
2dawyon.jpg
and to those who spend RLmoney on ingame goods and gold ;)

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
If I recall correctly there was an event in Lineage II where an item would randomly spawn on a player turning their character red and bestowing raid-like abilities and auto-shouting this to the world (ofc if you were killed the item would transfer to to your killer).
You could not enter a safe zone (city) anymore and if you logged out it would bounce to somebody else.
The main thing was that this item would literally make you able to solo a raid but EVERY PK and PVPer would be on your ass.
I remember massive tales of griefing because guilds turned against their own members and guild wars ended because of this item spawning.

I am not sure if it was a shard or a official, I played both and it was some time ago.

Zeriel

Arcane
If I recall correctly there was an event in Lineage II where an item would randomly spawn on a player turning their character red and bestowing raid-like abilities and auto-shouting this to the world (ofc if you were killed the item would transfer to to your killer).
You could not enter a safe zone (city) anymore and if you logged out it would bounce to somebody else.
The main thing was that this item would literally make you able to solo a raid but EVERY PK and PVPer would be on your ass.
I remember massive tales of griefing because guilds turned against their own members and guild wars ended because of this item spawning.

I am not sure if it was a shard or a official, I played both and it was some time ago.

It was official. Lineage had a lot of cool stuff like that--last truly "hardcore" MMO that was released in the west.

Lhynn

Arcane
It was official. Lineage had a lot of cool stuff like that--last truly "hardcore" MMO that was released in the west.
You should try AoW, it really is hardcore and indepth, better than lineage in every way when it comes to pvp (especially after LII died for me with goddess). The game is plagued by bots and right now account security seems to be an issue tho, so be warned if you want to get into that particular shithole.
Its F2P tho, so you lose nothing by trying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom