Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has RPG Maker Ever Been Used to Create Anything Good Ever?

Eyeball

Arcane
man are all the good ones from bog standard high fantasy genres? Any sci fi or horror stuff?(apart from Yume Nikki and the Graveyard)

hell I think I looked for post apocalyptic stuff a while back and what I got was 'desert fantasy rpg with guns and magic'

hurrah
I quite liked "Desert Nightmare." Surprisingly creepy and atmospheric considering the primitive tools used to create it. Ending was pretty damn derp, though.

Don't expect an RPG though - many of the better RPGmaker games are disguised adventure games.

By the way, thanks for linking the mythical Donald Fuck RPG. Always wanted to play that particular piece of shit. Finally, a video game with ballsucking special attacks and curative blowjobs!

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm eagerly awaiting the Erthia MM3-5 inspired game. It looks amazing.

Unfortunately, he's working on 2 M&M games concurrently, so it's taking a long time to complete either. I guess it helps to avoid burnout when you can work on 2 games that are wildly different in style. I have no real interest in the strategy game, though.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
779GY.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?vk6e07jln0bn1kh

Download it for posterity.

I just had to download and play this. But now I am stuck at about level 5 when Minnie asked me to get some shrooms for Mickey in the forest south of Duckfuckburg (or whatever the name is), but I can't find any. Too bad. Or maybe I just suck.

:rage:

I want to play this so bad, but the text looks all weird and illegible in my computer...

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle. It's more interactive story than anything else, but at least it's a well-written one. I think the humour is fairly Codex-relevant - it was made for 4chan's /u/ and /tg/ boards, which is an odd but not unpleasing mix...

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The one I made like twelve years ago. I remember building a custom battle system complete with my own sprites for the various animations. Sadly, this brilliance has been lost to the mists of time.

Random

Arcane
Patron
The reason why no good games are made with RPG Maker is because all the people with talent, skill, and the drive to make shit happen create their shit from the ground up.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I liked Visions & Voices, which is described as a Lovecraftian survival horror RPG.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Just FYI, Barkley was not made on RPG Maker - it uses ohrpgce, a different rpg creation engine. Not that it actually matters, though, the game is certainly not worse due to this and it would be pointless to create a thread just for ohrpgce games, but you know, you need to mention it just for formalities.

Another decent ohrpgce game (I'm already prepared for the incoming flak, oh yeah) is Sword of Jade. Like, yeah, it's kinda horrible since it features FUCKING FURRIES and is more philosophical than Planescape: Torment (and not in a good way, I'm afraid - it's totally Ayn Randish and gets shoved down on you in least elegant ways possible) and ending is kinda overblown on many untold levels, but what is actually good in this game is the gameplay and that is what matters. First, the game has a time limit - like, your hero starts in total depression and if you will not move his ass quickly enough, he'll just lose the will to go further and the game will end. And this limit is decently used, giving you lots of choices, like, do you want to train (training takes a lot of time which, obviously, goes towards the counter) or are you afraid of getting too late? Will you use generic shop items or will you order custom ones, once again, having to spend time on them? Etc., etc. If you actually know what you're doing, it gets pretty hard to run out of time, though, but that's, like, on a second walkthrough and most of the games are like this on a second walkthrough.

Another thing worth mentioning is dynamically changing time - like, all of the areas have four types of tiles and monsters made for them, for the morning-day-evening-night times, the monsters differ significantly between the times and some of the quests or quest related NPCs or places may appear only during one of the times. It's actually pretty cool system because it gives you more exploration from the same map and because it also exploits the time managing system - you have to plan what you're doing decently if you want to get anywhere on the right time.

Finally, the best part of SoJ is combat. Honestly, combat here is excellent - you have just four characters in your party (changing the roster is impossible), but each of them has lots of different abilities and, thanks to the decently done items, you can send your characters in many directions, really, the party and its combat performance is highly flexible and the combat itself has a dynamic changing of stats depending on your actions, allowing for a plentitude of approaches and tactics. Combat here is good and that's why I love this game. Sure, it gets kinda worse when you replay the game (since you know all the powergamey builds and it's not as challenging as it is on the first run), but that can hardly be called a flaw.

Also, no one mentioned here Eternal Eden. No, not Eden Eternal, not some stupid MMORPG - Eternal Eden, one of the best RPG maker games round the block. Now, I found the story there lacking a bit (actually, it's not bad, it's kinda decent, but there's not a lot of it, unfortunately), but exploration there is awesome (enough hidden areas and dungeons are filled with little puzzles so it's not all tedious grind) and combat is good at least for the three quarters of the game or so (as soon as they've given me optional boss quests, I've done them all or almost all, and while resulting bossfights were awesome, my party became so overbuffed that combat stopped posing any challenge after that). It's a really good game and I'm all in anticipation of the next part (which is currently in the development and, I'm afraid, will come out the next Thursday).

Damn, there's still some games to talk about but I'm too tired of typing - ok, will just make another post in this thread.

Luzur

Good Sir
I'm eagerly awaiting the Erthia MM3-5 inspired game. It looks amazing.

Unfortunately, he's working on 2 M&M games concurrently, so it's taking a long time to complete either. I guess it helps to avoid burnout when you can work on 2 games that are wildly different in style. I have no real interest in the strategy game, though.

the same for me.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just FYI, Barkley was not made on RPG Maker - it uses ohrpgce, a different rpg creation engine. Not that it actually matters, though, the game is certainly not worse due to this and it would be pointless to create a thread just for ohrpgce games, but you know, you need to mention it just for formalities.

Actually it initially used RPG Maker 2003, but was ported to Game Maker.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

I just had to download and play this. But now I am stuck at about level 5 when Minnie asked me to get some shrooms for Mickey in the forest south of Duckfuckburg (or whatever the name is), but I can't find any. Too bad. Or maybe I just suck.

:rage:

I want to play this so bad, but the text looks all weird and illegible in my computer...
http://crankeye.com/downloads/rm2k_fp.exe

Download that and run it. All it does is add MS Mincho to your System\Windows\Fonts folder but it makes all RPG Maker games playable and legible.

Space Funeral is excellent, as are all of the catamites' games.
He is an excellent guy and the world is fortunate to have people like him!!

Epicurus

Novice
I lurked for a good several years in the wider RPG Maker community a few years ago. I think out of the hundreds of games released (many of which I played) I literally only enjoyed maybe around five. It's kind of depressing to think about, but the English-speaking component of that community seemed like the most talentless group of people I've ever known. The vast majority of the games were utterly terrible jRPG inspired games in the most generic fantasy settings you could possibly imagine, to the point where after a while I completely ignored them and I only focused on the non-fantasy, non-jRPG games. I was still disappointed.

In fact I never ended up making a game of my own because I figured it would be wasted on such a community (that and I couldn't be bothered. But mostly because I always felt like it would be wasted on such a community. Call me snobby). As a comparison, the level of talent in the Adventure Game Studio community is much, much higher, and there are probably at least twenty or thirty top quality games that have come out of there.

So the short answer to the original question is no.

Radisshu

Prophet
lol, I used to make really shitty RPG Maker games when I was like 14 or something.

The Way was pretty good, though, and there was another game that I think only came out as a demo, but I forgot its title. It used tilesets from the SNES game Paladin's Quest, and had a blue-haired protagonist. It was, as I recall (although this was probably ten years ago or something), pretty well written, and had an interesting combat system where your HP would be restored after each fight, but your MP drained, so the fights kind of were about building your MP up to release some devastating stuff before the enemy finished you off.

EDIT: Yeah, and Barkley is obviously pretty great

EDIT 2: I made a shitty game about a bandit named Cindred who was sent out by her bandit chief to pursue some kind of item or whatever. It let you recruit every boss creature after you beat them, but there were like five bosses, and in the end the villain turned out to be someone who had opened the game up in RPG Maker 2000 and started fucking everything up.

Luzur

Good Sir
i tried to make a sex adventure with RPGmaker XT (or something) way back in 2001, but i got bored after making the first 10 townspeople talkable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom