Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellgate: London is back AGAIN

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Then proceed to briefly remove from inventory. For science, of course.

I started playing and was feeling it was not the same as what I had played years ago. This thread confirms I was right in my assumption.

Let's say, for scientific purposes, that we are discussing this (not that we would do it). How do you go from removing the item from the inventory to playing the old-school version ?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Then proceed to briefly remove from inventory. For science, of course.

I started playing and was feeling it was not the same as what I had played years ago. This thread confirms I was right in my assumption.

Let's say, for scientific purposes, that we are discussing this (not that we would do it). How do you go from removing the item from the inventory to playing the old-school version ?

For optimal vanilla experience, install scientific PCB onto your hard drive err into computer and go here to download the official patches:
http://www.hellgateaus.info/forum/hellgate-london-download-patches/

(SP 1.2 for singleplayer, MP 2.0 for multiplayer)

Now of course this site also offer the Revival Mod itself that comes with an awful lot of balancing changes, if you wish.

For multiplayer vanilla experience, simply go here:
https://london2038.com/

Register, download and install Alpha client. Auto-patch. Done.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ugh, fuck this, the framerate drop bug is just unbearable. Every 10-30 minutes, the game just grinds to a 0-1 fps halt for minutes. On a GTX 1070 :lol:
I'll try the scientific original & Revival Mod to see if that is any better...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ugh, fuck this, the framerate drop bug is just unbearable. Every 10-30 minutes, the game just grinds to a 0-1 fps halt for minutes. On a GTX 1070 :lol:
I am sure that it will run fine on my gtx580. New drivers are just shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am sure that it will run fine on my gtx580. New drivers are just shit.
No, it will not. This is some bug in the engine that existed forever. I played Hellgate Global for a while until this exact bug made me go away. Except for me it happened closer to 10 minutes than 30.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
The concept of "intellectual property" is an oxymoron and a state-enforced monopoly that is opposite to a free market's goals.

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. "Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe," Newell said.

Gabe manages to make billions not even properly selling games to people and still beats the pirates. Shackleford may have a decent point.

Quotes taken from. https://www.escapistmagazine.com/ne...-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
I remember playing this back in 2008-2009, was decent for a few hours but nothing special once you get bored of "it's like Diablo but 1st/3rd person PoV!" gimmick. Levels were rehashed and very repetitive, abilities bugged and bland. It really needed at least 6 more months of refinement and devs that actually listen to community feedback. Retarded subscription model also didn't help the game at all.

Max Damage

Savant
I enjoyed and actually played Diablo 2 to the end, Hellgate is very bland. It's not the worst thing ever, just really mediocre. Good soundtrack undermined by wacky XD writing that makes Fallout 2 look sophisticated. Marksman and Evoker are probably the only 2 classes that get to fully utilize 1st person view, otherwise the game could be done just as well in isometry.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good soundtrack undermined by wacky XD writing that makes Fallout 2 look sophisticated.
Did you only play the completely unpatched version, because as I understand it, the first thing they did was patch out all the wacky writing.

Max Damage

Savant
Good soundtrack undermined by wacky XD writing that makes Fallout 2 look sophisticated.
Did you only play the completely unpatched version, because as I understand it, the first thing they did was patch out all the wacky writing.
I played version 1.2, it had very bad humor and lolsorandom XD voice acting. Also, forgot to add, the difficulty spikes were very jarring, one of the many reasons I never finished this game.

Farewell into the night

Just played it. Cool intro cinematic, but didn't like the game.

edit: I played more and it's and OK game.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave the Steam version a thumbs down and checked out the original+Revival mod 4.0 version.

So....

Looks better than the Korean Steam version (some models definitely have better textures, especially the enemies).
Has way less strange MMO-insertions and UI problems (you can still see remnants of it being an online game in the UI in the Steam version, while original + Revival just looks better).
The story itself and what NPCs say/how they look/even their names(!!) is actually different in the original!
The game is MUCH more challenging in original+Revival. In the Steam version, you just get constantly showered with loot and enemies are pushovers. They really did make the game much easier in Korea for some reason.
And maybe most importantly, the FPS frame drop doesn’t seem to exist at all in the original+Revival. I played for multiple hours without it happening a single time.

It is a bit of a hassle to get it all installed correctly, but once you do it, there really is no reason to play the Steam version over the original+Revival mod version.
What a shame.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is there any LAN/Co-Op working in any of them? Because the always-online/MMO xD/closed servers thing is what killed it for me the first time the game was released. If I can actually sit down with a mate and play it however the fuck I want, I might give it a new whirl.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What the fuck were they doing for the past 8 years. What is this. WHAT IS GOING ON MAN?

Hellgate: London provides a single play environment with the latest version (Version 2.0) of the Hellgate: Tokyo service.
The game provides single play optimized scenario contents and premium support items.

I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND!

At some point the chinks picked up the IP, chinkified it a bit with loot boxes and such and re-released it. This seems to be the same Chink version but on Steam.
So it's basically Chinkgate: London now?

They should call it Hellgate: Immortal because it just can't seem to die

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Is there any LAN/Co-Op working in any of them? Because the always-online/MMO xD/closed servers thing is what killed it for me the first time the game was released. If I can actually sit down with a mate and play it however the fuck I want, I might give it a new whirl.

Looks like it's Singleplayer only... which is weird considering it was a full multiplayer title back then. They could have implemented LAN-Coop at least.

Elex

Arbiter
What the fuck were they doing for the past 8 years. What is this. WHAT IS GOING ON MAN?

Hellgate: London provides a single play environment with the latest version (Version 2.0) of the Hellgate: Tokyo service.
The game provides single play optimized scenario contents and premium support items.

I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND!

At some point the chinks picked up the IP, chinkified it a bit with loot boxes and such and re-released it. This seems to be the same Chink version but on Steam.
So it's basically Chinkgate: London now?

They should call it Hellgate: Immortal because it just can't seem to die
well i'm surprised we don't have hellgate london for phones.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Looks like it's Singleplayer only... which is weird considering it was a full multiplayer title back then. They could have implemented LAN-Coop at least.

Perhaps because servers cost money?
"Servers" for LAN? The issue is not lack of dedicated servers but the supposed lack of any multiplayer option at all, LAN included.

Farewell into the night

"Servers" for LAN? The issue is not lack of dedicated servers but the supposed lack of any multiplayer option at all, LAN included.

I was talking about the full multiplayer option.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Perhaps because servers cost money?
For that to work, you need to program multiplayer in a way that supports peer 2 peer (no matter if via LAN or online, both is pretty much the same from a coding perspective anyway).
Hellgate: London was obviously coded with dedicated multiplayer servers (while the game is the client), and that server code is most likely not included in the client (in contrast to, for example, Neverwinter Nights, where the client can function as the server as well).

IMO, that is also the reason why it took so many years for the London 2038 project to feature multiplayer - they had to write the server code from scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom