Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HELLO, I'M LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD HYBRID CARD GAMES

hello friend

Arcane
Eyyo, what are some good hybrid card games? Looking for some fun new games that incorporate cards in some way - I'm a sucker for card-based mechanics.

Criteria:
- hybrid* card game
- good

Post your good hybrid card games here! No weaboo shit

*This means not Hearthstone, MtG, or Poker. And so on.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Thea: The awakening on GoG and Steam
This game uses cards for the combat system. The game could use some more event's and some improvements on the story / gods however i still found it fun to play.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
You should give a look at Cryptic Comet's catalog.
From the demos (I haven't played the final versions), Six Gun Saga and Armaggedon Empires use important card mechanisms and in Occult Chronicles (which looks very good, judging only be the demo) almost every action resolves through a card minigame.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Etherlords 1&2
Chaos Overlords

And I know you said no MTG. But there's an old MTG game called Shandalar, which mixes the card game with an isometric RPG.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Armello. Unless animals count as weeabo shit.

deuxhero

Arcane
Another recomandation for Lost Kingdoms 1/2 (but mostly 2)
Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins.
There's a shit ton of Yugioh games of varying quality. People seem to say the best two are Stairway to the Destined Duel (which is pretty barebones in terms of campaign) and Over the Nexus (which is not, but it's a bit of a pain with card availability. Universal staples can be obtained from the start, but trying to make a deck more complex than "remove opponents stuff, smash defenseless opponent)" is really hard before post credits). Both are pretty good, though these are also the only two I've given that much time to.
The Pokemon TCG games on GBC. First is too short, second is too filler filled and keeps forcing you to make gimmick decks to satisfy stupid requirements (admittedly this does stop you from haymakering everything to death) though it's still an OK game.

hello friend

Arcane
Thea: The awakening on GoG and Steam
This game uses cards for the combat system. The game could use some more event's and some improvements on the story / gods however i still found it fun to play.
Yeah, bought this a few weeks back. Kinda fun, but the card stuff is a bit weak.
Etherlords 1&2
Chaos Overlords

And I know you said no MTG. But there's an old MTG game called Shandalar, which mixes the card game with an isometric RPG.

Was looking at Etherlords, thinking about buying it. What's Chaos Overlords like?

Shandalar
Well, hellooooo. What game is this, and why have I never heard of it? This looks really fun.

Armello. Unless animals count as weeabo shit.
Weaboo means Japanese aesthetic. I'm allergic. Anyway, reviews seem to indicate it suffers heavily from excessive RNG.

This is a pretty fun Lovecraftian card game, casual but well designed imo

http://www.mooarcade.com/games/fullscreen-7308-The_Necronomicon.html

Edit: Oh, and Talisman ofc.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247000/

Yeah, I've played the shit out of that Lovecraftian one. That was at least a couple of years ago though, iirc. I'm pretty burned out on it at this point. Has it been updated any since then?

Blonsky

Prophet
Guardians of Graxia, 3d units, map made of card fields and confusing battle/casting system. Did not hold my interest for long.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

alllynee

Barely Literate
Eyyo, what are some good hybrid card games? Looking for some fun new games that incorporate cards in some way - I'm a sucker for card-based mechanics.

Criteria:
- hybrid* card game
- good

Post your good hybrid card games here! No weaboo shit

*This means not Hearthstone, MtG, or Poker. And so on.

Try Monster Avenue!!
Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xten.ivext.df

it's a 3 in 1 game. Board game, rpg, and ccg. You might like it :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
@hello friend you could try Hand of Fate - I have not played it, but many people like it (it has 92% userscore on Steam and 4 out 5 stars on GOG).

It is a hybrid adventure card game / 3d brawler - you explore a world and develop your character using card mechanics, but combat is resolved similarly as in Batman: Arkham games.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Weaboo means Japanese aesthetic. I'm allergic. Anyway, reviews seem to indicate it suffers heavily from excessive RNG.

Definitely not. Of course, it has RNG, but I played a great deal of multiplayer games and never felt like I just got fucked.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Shandalar
Well, hellooooo. What game is this, and why have I never heard of it? This looks really fun.

Christ almighty, just call in sick for the rest of the week and play that delicious shit.

No steam version, how do you get it running?

Kids these days.

https://www.gamegraveyard.net/dos/magic_the_gathering_duels_of_the_planeswalkers#options

Adding to this because MTG won't work right off the bat in newer systems, but the one in this link works perfectly (tested).

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/g8xah

mck

Cipher
Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2

13431756263_60111b6e8e_o.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

hello friend

Arcane
Holy shit those fan-patched Shandalar forums are a clusterfuck. I've got the 2012 repack and the 2015 one, there's at least half a dozen various optional patches and minimods, all nebulously named and undescribed. Installation instructions bounce you from one thread to the other, to the top of the thread, to the bottom, to the middle - and according to some posts it's possibly intentional (!!?) for legal reasons. Very strange. Still, game is great and people who've made it work as well as it does are heroes :salute:.

SerratedBiz I've got two working installs atm but I'd like to get the interface as smooth as possible + widescreen support and general sexiness, but I don't want the 3000+ new cards and disabling recent sets in 2015 version presents its own problems. Any idea how to cobble it together?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
hello friend Sorry but it actually sounds like you've delved deeper into the mod scene than I have. I just play with olskool window stretch and shit.

If you actually get any of that to work I'd really be interested to know what you did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom