Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't into modern 3D

V_K

Arcane
And then there's this - what the fuck I'm even looking at here?
sc693y.jpg
You are clearly looking for Nectar vials around Peh, duh.
Almost nice, but I said "at", not "for".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I, too, prefer older 3D over modern 3D. The problem with modern 3D is the clutter of visual effects. Hundreds of different gleamy and glittery post-processing shenanigans that make things hard to make out. I don't mind clutter of objects - there are plenty of fan-made maps for older games that have very detailed environments, but these environments are still clear and easy to read. The main issue with modern 3D is the huge amount of different post-processing effects that turn everything into a blur.

DraQ

Arcane
In this picture there is 1 daedric cuirasses, none of which can be seen.
Is that it by any chance? At least that's what pops out at me in that screen.

5knARO8.jpg
Actually I lied a bit and it's slightly offscreen (I couldn't find a screen with it) but it's hard to spot even if you're looking straight at it (you have spotted a skull).
The point is that it does not stand out.
You can try spotting it there:

Anyway, I sometimes miss cleaner visual design of older first person games, but visually cluttered environments are good because they allow actually hiding stuff in plain sight.

V_K

Arcane
visually cluttered environments are good because they allow actually hiding stuff in plain sight.
Once in a blue moon, sure, but it doesn't mean you should make every single scene like that.
Besides, I wouldn't call that image you posted cluttered. It doesn't get on my nerves because nothing stands out. But in the two modern screenshots I posted, every single thing, no matter how unimportant, fights for your attention and there's a ton of them.

Lurker47

Savant
I find a lot of newer games visually overwhelming but older games are difficult for another reason. Things are so sparse that sometimes you have to go pixel hunting or search a single place head-to-toe because someone was hiding behind a wall (isometric)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think some games definitely have poor visual design which can lead to visual clutter, but it's not that common and isn't actually confusing, just kind of ugly.

I will say I prefer a more clean and artistic look sometimes though, over more realism. Dishonored 1 vs. 2 is a good example, I like the look of the original more.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've been getting into old games so much that booting up Deus Ex made me feel disorientated and overwhelmed.

The real conspiracy is the one that pushed unpleasant 3D obfuscated experiences on innocent "gamers" to hide the continually simplified underlying systems, eventually turning them into barely sentient homunculus.

DraQ

Arcane
visually cluttered environments are good because they allow actually hiding stuff in plain sight.
Once in a blue moon, sure, but it doesn't mean you should make every single scene like that.
Besides, I wouldn't call that image you posted cluttered. It doesn't get on my nerves because nothing stands out. But in the two modern screenshots I posted, every single thing, no matter how unimportant, fights for your attention and there's a ton of them.
Except Morrowind was kind of notorious for hiding stuff among clutter. There was even a quest involving that.
You can also make quest like mirror room in Divinity 2 with cluttered 3D.
And of course you should make clutter level consistent, so it's likely that if you have one scene like that, you will have most scenes like that.

There's just. Too. Fucking. Much. Clutter. I get lost in it

I have the same with many games and prefer ascetic, clean, crisp look.

I'm tired of modern fpp shooter in which enemies are melted so deep into the background that developers often need to put some big fucking indicator above them.

I love minimalistic aesthetics of Civilization 2, it's free from useless details and emanates with Prussian order. Newer Civs look like a mess.

V_K

Arcane
Its probably not a clutter issue but "skim thru" isnt working well in contemporary 3D games on contemporary displays, because of how stuff is wired in humans, and parroting about clutter wont make it go away.
Assuming that's true, implying that humans should "rewire" their brains to adapt to modern 3D instead of the other way around is the most retarded thing I've read in this thread.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Same thing killed Deus Ex Mankind Divided for me.

Game looks way too overdetailed and cluttered, hard to distinguish between props, pieces of level geometry and interactable objects. Devs knew about such issue, so they've added a ton of shiny effects and outlines to highlight items and stuff you can pick up - except somehow it worsened the problem. Now there are items you can put in your inventory like credit chips/weapons/ammo/supplies/etc, and there is rubbish you can pick up and hold in your hands to use as a throwable distraction, and there are stuff you can't pick up but can move around by pushing - and everything fucking glows or highlights when nearby.

I miss chunky old graphics where props, interactable objects and level geometry can be easily told apart.

858800-deus-ex-mankind-divided-windows-screenshot-inside-golem-city.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
The actual issue is that games should go towards having more of the objects interactable, not better distinction of those which are.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't want every piece of garbage that lies on the floor to be interactable. I'd rather prefer games to looks clean and easy to follow.

V_K

Arcane
The actual issue is that games should go towards having more of the objects interactable, not better distinction of those which are.
It's not mutually exclusive. Ultima 7 emulates lots of small objects, but it's still easily readable (except when they're in your backpack).

V_K

Arcane

tritosine2k

Erudite
Assuming that's true, implying that humans should "rewire" their brains to adapt to modern 3D instead of the other way around is the most retarded thing I've read in this thread.

Maybe the ones fixated on currently available cookie cutter displays are half-way there , busy projecting and inventing half baked concepts like clutter
:M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom