Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Iconic games that haven't had a proper spiritual successor

A horse of course

Post the "ladies"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Daydreaming about proper spiritual successors to legendary games can only lead to depression.

If one does come along, rejoice! Otherwise, there's no sense in dwelling on it.

Age of empires 2 anyone??

Didn't like the third one at all

Castlevania II (exploration, combat, platform) but in 3D
Shadowman (same)

Real successors to Wizardry 8 and Morrowind would be appreciated too.

deama

Prophet
I can't think of any successors to sacrifice.

Heavy metal fakk 2?

The only thing close to legacy of kain series I think would be planescape torment, but that one started around the time the first game in the series was made, so idk.

I think mount and blade warband > kenshi is a decent successor; until bannerlord that is.

NWN > witcher 1? :P

warlords battlecry > heroes of annihilated empires?

I want to say arx fatalis, but obviously arkane made dark messiah which is "meant" to be pretty similiar, but I don't agree with that, arx fatalis always had this "break the game" type of style to it where you can easily break quests like in arcanum, dark messiah is fairly linear. There's also the atmosphere and general scaryness; arx fatalis is one of the most atmospheric games for me, and it can be pretty scary at times. I don't remember being scared in dark messiah, maybe a jump scare or two, but I don't count those.

Jade empire? Anyone know of an asian rpg with a signature similiar to mid 2000s bioware?

I can't think of anything for battle realms...

If anyone can remember, there was that overlord game from mid/late 2000s, haven't seen anything like that since.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Blood, has to be fully within an alternate history that actually makes all the horror fit! from rotting butchers to necromancers.
Hexen, must be within a fantasy settic and has to have: melee!, magic, classes, items & puzzles.

I know about Blood 2 & Hexen 2.... Hexen 2 is actually good, still i miss fantasy fps and fps that arent generic cod/bf copies

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some devs deserve to die. As much as I love MTG, it was just too expensive and it was made in too much of a greedy way with the sets changing so fast, cards 'rotating' every 2 seconds so you have to constantly buy shit over and over. I just cut my losses and sold everything and started playing some free versions. Also they had serious inflation problems with that game which are related to the first problem.

A modern version of that game with a good PC UI and much more fair pricing would be a huge success. Hearthstone is not a good alternative because it is a rip off too, and also only a tiny fraction of the depth of MTG.

Guild Wars. It remains unique - the sequels have little in common with them besides the title and a few parts of the lore. There have been no games like it, which is to say an adaptation of CCGs (e.g., Magic: the Gathering) into a PC gaming format.

I find it more puzzling because there's clearly a large audience for that kind of game, and most were not happy with GW2. So it's strange that nobody has swooped in to that available niche.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Done this thread before on a few sites, it always makes me sad.

C&C Tiberian Sun - This was the last amazing C&C game before Westwood died. There were some other good ones after this but not quite as good as this. But this one was also unique because it had a blacked out map that you had to reveal by actually going there. This meant that if your opponent started in a valley and they blocked the entrance to the valley, you couldn't get inside because you couldn't even click on the blackness with a lot of weapons and things. The only way in was to completely overpower their chokepoint and burst in. Or by being really sneaky and exploring nearby and slowly edging closer and then you could send units to their deaths to finally reveal the base.
Also this game had stealth that worked so well and you hardly ever see that in other RTS's. (Not do you even see other RTSs anymore...) But still, it was a very interesting mechanic and done in a great way. Also it had subterranean units and land deformation and some other great features that made it so fun to play. It really needs a proper sequel.

Hidden and Dangerous - this got a sequel that was ok, quite buggy, etc. But the series died at that point and it deserves to carry on. I always loved squad based FPSs with some tactics.

Betrayal At Krondor - This had some sequels but they weren't the same and they weren't as good. This one deserves a true sequel because even today it would be great and unique.

Gunship 2000 - Best flying game I ever played, perfect mixture of simulation and actually having fun. The flight sim genre completely died because not enough devs played this.

Panza Kick Boxing - This is the only fighting game to ever exist that resembles real fighting. It also works in a unique and brilliant way. You built your fighter with moves you chose from a huge list. Also the controls worked in a genius way that I have never seen done since in any game.

TV Sports Boxing - Ditto previous more or less.

Midwinter - Sequel was garbage. Needs a proper one. Someone got the rights a few years ago and started work but it fell apart.

Duke Nukem 3d - Sequel took 100 years, became a laughing stock, then turned out bad.

World in Conflict - This was a promising RTS. Needed a second chance.

Syndicate - I never liked the sequel. It was buggy and weird and also lacked a lot of features they promised earlier and it was super delayed I think. I barely played it in the end. I want a third game to nail it. (They made a recent reboot which was stupid and not the same type of game. It is the Ghostbusters 2016 of the gaming world.)

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
I haven't seen a proper spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2 combat. Specifically, the rock papers scissors element of the mage duels. It is hard to believe how nobody tried to copy that.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
x-com and elite 2.
What's wrong with the new versions of those?
as i already explained in minute detail, i'll repeat myself: they suck donkey balls.
Where did you explain? Elite Dangerous just seems like the exact same game as Elite but with swanky graphics. It is shallow and boring but so was the original. Xcom same deal more or less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom