Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Deleted Member 16721

did you try reading the four pages which makes up the last month of discussion?

Yep, I just now read it, thanks. I'm looking at CCO and staying away from textures. Going to play mostly vanilla maybe with Morrowloot.

Deleted Member 16721

Get Ultimate Combat and Wildcat, trust me.

They look somewhat interesting, but I don't want to get too much into an action game and still retain its RPG-ness as much as possible. Do you recommend Character Creation Overhaul? Looks neat, adds the class system and more from Morrowind/Oblivion.

Edit - Wildcat looks great, grabbed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funposter

Arcane
Get Ultimate Combat and Wildcat, trust me.

They look somewhat interesting, but I don't want to get too much into an action game and still retain its RPG-ness as much as possible. Do you recommend Character Creation Overhaul? Looks neat, adds the class system and more from Morrowind/Oblivion.

Edit - Wildcat looks great, grabbed it.

I think I may have accidentally recommended CCO, when what I actually wanted was Classic Classes and Birthsigns. To change/fix races, you can probably just use Imperious (although the changes are kind of major), or look for something else to change races. Classic Classes combined with Ordinator is pretty cool, because you're able to create a more defined and distinct character than in vanilla, with each class having a unique ability. Crusaders for instance do 20% more damage with Blunt weapons, Knights receive 20% more AR from Heavy Armor, Battlemages do 20% more damage with spells when also wielding a weapon, etc. Some of this stuff gels super well with perks from Ordinator.

Wildcat is great if only for the ability to dynamically edit how much damage the player and enemies are doing. You can make the game as deadly or forgiving as you like.

Deleted Member 16721

I'd like to play on Legendary, so Wildcat seems great for that, sort of like Requiem-esque changes. I grabbed CC&B. I hope I uninstalled CCO by just deleting the .esp's etc.. There was an uninstaller .bsa but I didn't know how to run it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Making a new scaled down build:
Step 1: SKSE64
Step 2: USSEP
Step 3: SkyUI
Step 12: Lets try this wildcat mod out.
Step 28: Shit forgot about Alternate Start - need that.
Step 101: Whelp UPN body time.
Step 122: What's LoverLab been up to?
Step 175: hmmm Where is this Schlongs of Skyrim mod I've heard so much about.

Every fucking time.

Puukko

Arcane
Installed enhanced lights and FX and it is really impressive. Went with the 'hardcore' preset which makes dungeons really dark and I love it. Having to rely on ambient spell effects and my lantern for illumination improves the monotonous dungeon crawling experience by a lot.

I'm trying out a number of quest mods which I've never done before but nothing has really piqued my interest so far - I've started a couple and then proceeded to drop them. I do have some base game content left to finish like the thieves guild but my current character is entirely magic focused so we'll see if I bother, none of the rewards are of any use for me.

I've made good use of EnaiSiaon's various overhauls, they're all of high quality and well balanced. Well, except for the enchantment overhaul, I went well over 100% cost reduction for destruction spells so now I have almost 1000 magicka and none of my offensive spells use any. I am at the point where I've got so much damage output that very few enemies are actually difficult, but if they survive the initial damage they can one shot me because of my low health outside vampire lord form. At least I can still turn up the difficulty.

I do like the spell variety I have though, can summon permanent skeleton companions (who get on my way constantly so I've opted to summon just a couple and buff them a ton), summon motherfucking Gravelord Nito, etc. I'm currently doing a quest mod to unlock some more spells, too. It doesn't happen often, but when I'm forced to use all the tools at my disposal, it's really fun.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/95221
L2KU1nL.png

3PF5z1d.png

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Seriously, in what sense is this an improvement?

Who downloads these? Here's the complete list of visual mods that are acceptable:

- more/better storms
- dynamic seasons
- removing light sources from dungeons, and adjusting light brightness, filtering, and shadows to preference
- smoothing out pixelated textures, but only if it doesn't make everything look warped or flat

Oh, and I almost forgot...
Where's the add-on mod to tickle my prostate?
- big. ass. tiddies. -> big. ass. asses -> cheesy. anime. looking. hot. faces. -> jiggle mechanics. -> nudity. -> virtual. reality. -> hyperrealistic. sex. doll. -> decline. of. masculinity. -> no. more. reproduction. -> upload. consciousness. to. skyrim. -> we. all. finally. die. thank. god.

And that, my friends, is Todd's master plan to forcibly evolve the human race. We will all assimilate into a Skyrim VR for your Apple device (what's a computer?) wherein he assumes the role of godhead.

I agree, the problem I tend to find is that one person's idea of balance or fun can be radically different from another's. If even a single aspect a full overhaul isn't to your liking, it can be very difficult to fix. This is especially true of Skyrim, because it's a game where just about everything needs to be fixed in some way, so not having the modularity afforded by using twenty mods as opposed to one can be quite crippling.
Skyrim's combat is what it is. It can't be fixed, even with Wildcat and its other iteratons, or the myriad perk overhauls.

For all Bethesda's focus on improving combat -- which, admittedly, they did improve; though going from 1 to 2 isn't much to write home about -- they completely failed to understand the inherent deficiencies in its design. Two glaring problems ruin the whole thing: (1) the DR system is fundamentally flawed, and (2) granting massive damage increases from improving skills instead of skills being active stratagems throws the balance out of wack at the mid-game.

These are the two big issues from which every other problem with their combat flows.

Last edited:

:prosper:

Seriously, in what sense is this an improvement?

>Original
-Weathered by the harsh Skyrim eather
- Sunbattered and faded
- Moss covered and dirty
-blue palace is faded but more kept than the rest of the city
-dragonhead statue is old and probably scavenged

>this dude
-bright, new tiled roofs
-clean, fresh walls
-no proper normal mapping on blue palace, just slapped a blue filter on some tiles
-LETS ADD SCALES TO A STATUE

It's like he didn't think about the source material at all and just slapped on the first free resources he found online. How do these people manage to be LESS competent than Bethesda?

Loostreaks

Learned
++
Installed enhanced lights and FX and it is really impressive. Went with the 'hardcore' preset which makes dungeons really dark and I love it. Having to rely on ambient spell effects and my lantern for illumination improves the monotonous dungeon crawling experience by a lot.

I'm trying out a number of quest mods which I've never done before but nothing has really piqued my interest so far - I've started a couple and then proceeded to drop them. I do have some base game content left to finish like the thieves guild but my current character is entirely magic focused so we'll see if I bother, none of the rewards are of any use for me.

I've made good use of EnaiSiaon's various overhauls, they're all of high quality and well balanced. Well, except for the enchantment overhaul, I went well over 100% cost reduction for destruction spells so now I have almost 1000 magicka and none of my offensive spells use any. I am at the point where I've got so much damage output that very few enemies are actually difficult, but if they survive the initial damage they can one shot me because of my low health outside vampire lord form. At least I can still turn up the difficulty.

I do like the spell variety I have though, can summon permanent skeleton companions (who get on my way constantly so I've opted to summon just a couple and buff them a ton), summon motherfucking Gravelord Nito, etc. I'm currently doing a quest mod to unlock some more spells, too. It doesn't happen often, but when I'm forced to use all the tools at my disposal, it's really fun.

Grab Beyond Reach, Ravensgate, Hyborian Age and Wheels of Lull...those are only worth keeping around.

EniaSiaon is the most creative modder, in terms of mechanics, but he overdoes it and adds a lot of "wacky", out of place perks/spells/abilities.

Modded Skyrim is best when you combine rpg and survival/immersion progression mechanics:

Requiem+AZ tweaks: for power curve and some good skill trees

Pumping Iron+Disparity( only use weight modifiers)+Burdens: for weight progression

Frostfall: for survivalism

Hardcore Capacity+Cobbs Encumbrance+Scarcity: for Inventory/Economy

Add to this VIGOR ( for NPC AI/stamina management/wounds), Mortal Enemies, True Armor, Hotkeys++, AimFix ( for camera), Vitality ( light needs mod) and Missives ( this helps with low level gameplay).

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Definitive lore-friendly Skyrim Special Edition playthrough
Essentials:
SkyUI
SkyHUD
Main Font: FUTURA option
SKSE64
SSE Engine fixes
LOOT

Gameplay mods:
Requiem overhaul+AZ tweaks (conversion)
Frostfall survival overhaul
Campfire - Complete Camping System
Hardcore Capacity+Cobbs Encumbrance+Scarcity
Hunterborn
Mortal Enemies
Pumping Iron+Disparity
True Armor
VIGOR

Quests/New Lands
Aethernautics
Beyond Reach
Beyond Skyrim: Bruma
Blackreach Railroad
Clockwork
Darkend
Moon and Star
Moonpath to Elsweyr
Notice Board
Project AHO
The Forgotten City
The Gray Cowl
The Hanging Gardens
The Wheels of Lull
Skyrim Sewers 4
Undeath
Unslaad + English voiced
VIGILANT+Vigilant Voiced

muh immersion
Artesian Cloaks of Skyrim (adds cloak physics)
Divine Cloaks
Ennead - Cloaks of Evening Star
Expanded Towns and Cities
Hold Border Banners
Skyrim Unbound
True Storms
Vivid Weathers + TrueStorms compatibility
Wet and Cold
Winter is Coming

Am I missing anything worthwhile?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
We are headed to Skyrim's eighth anniversary, and people are still trying to fix this turd. Pro tip: you can't.
Skyrim is like an ocean, with the depth of a puddle.
Why does Skyrim trigger you so much? You're going out of you way to give peanut gallery comments in any Skyrim thread.
Am I missing anything worthwhile?
Better Vampires 8.2
Adds tons of effects, and is completely modular. Can adjust any setting to your preference. Best vampire roleplaying mod I've seen for Skyrim. Prefer it to Sacrosanct.
Also, any mod that disables combat boundaries so enemies will chase you into buildings, out of dungeons, etc. -- can't just back out and rest up.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Man, I was playing Skyrim SE with YASH. Damn, that shit got better with SE. I played it on LE first, and it was good, but damn, it's much improved.

With Requiem, I could kill bandits at a low level. With YASH, you'd be lucky to damage them. I found myself actually using poisons and potions. I mean you absolutely have to. I've only rarely had to do it with Requiem. The one thing I do miss with Requiem was the crossbow one-shotting bandits. Valtheim Towers is absolutely amazing with Requiem, same with that outpost/castle outside of Whiterun.

Still, for anyone waiting to try SE, do it with YASH 2. Very lightweight-weight mod, very difficult. You could couple it with Wildcat+Vigor if you want to punish yourself, but it's entirely unnecessary. I do like Wildcat (or Vigors?) stagger, though. I think it's best when you get the same effects the NPCs do.

Some things I like better about YASH, somethings I like better about Requiem. I don't like that bullets and gold are weightless in YASH. But I guess it balances out some of these issues with having to grind for every level and every skill. With Requiem, I was grinding for gold, but with YASH, I'm grinding for skills.

Overall, YASH 2 is pretty damn great.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Finally the loverslab mod we've been waiting for.

We've been noticing a lot of the same questions being asked over and over. Even though we really appreciate your enthusiasm for this mod, we strongly encourage you to please read this before you post. It saves us some time answering those questions and spend our time on the development instead. Thank you for your cooperation in advance! :)

Do you have a question? Use CTRL+F with your keyword and see if it is in here below! If your question still isn't answered, feel free to post it down below in this thread.

What is Skyrim Together?
We aim to develop a "true" Skyrim multiplayer experience that aims to bring online multiplayer for the players. Our focus is to create a co-op experience for about 2-8 players with your friends, not an MMO. Our current goal is to create a bug-free experience in where Skyrim can be played start to end without any major alterations to the vanilla experience. You will be able to play with other mods as well.

We are not affiliated with Tamriel Online in any way.

Release date
Unfortunately, the mod hasn't been released yet. We are willing to release this mod ASAP, which requires us to finish the following first:

• In-game UI to spawn, modify and connect to game sessions
  • Development play fully tested and finalized
We currently have no estimation on when we will release the mod, but try to work on it every day.

We used to do estimations before, but we have always missed them due to IRL getting into the way. Check out the to-do list to see what is still left. Once everything is done, we can announce a release date and release the mod for everyone.

Platforms and versions
Skyrim Together will only be released for Skyrim (2011 version) and Skyrim Special Edition on PC. This will be completely free and will be released at the same time. We cannot make this mod available for consoleunless we get access to the source code. It doesn't matter whether or not you have the DLCs for Skyrim. All that matters is that you're on the latest version of the game.

We personally recommend the Skyrim Special Edition due to their increased stability with their x64 support. All of our development and tests are done using SSE.

We think cross-play between Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition is possible! We haven't thoroughly tested it before, but this old video has shown that it's definitely possible.

VR compatibility
Right now we do not support Skyrim VR. We will be having a look into it eventually, but no promises that we will actually get it working. We will have to solve new challenges such as player movement synchronization and acquiring testing equipment (read: HTC Vives and better hardware) to actually start developing.

If we manage to get this working, we will definitely be looking into cross-play between SkyrimSE and Oldrim. I doubt we can get any 3D movement in though, as the character you're playing also doesn't do this in-game (as you only see your weapons/hands).

Mod support
Skyrim Together will work great with mods created with the Creation Kit (such as Beyond Skyrim: Bruma). We expect that the Skyblivion mod will work just as well as Beyond Skyrim: Bruma. Mods created with SKSE may have trouble with synchronizations as it may contain functionality that is unknown to the vanilla game itself. We synchronize load orders for you.

If a player has a mod that another player doesn't, then the mod content just won't show up on the player's screen. For example: If Player1 is wearing armor from an armor mod and Player2 doesn't have said mod, then Player2 will see Player1 naked on his screen. This is to prevent crashes from happening.

We plan on making an API post initial release which will allow SKSE mod creators to synchronize their variables, functions and events. This will allow those mod creators to make their mod compatible with Skyrim Together.

• Will <X> mod work with Skyrim Together?
If it's created with the Creation Kit: the chances are high! If it's created with SKSE: then it depends whether or not it is using native functionality or not. This all depends per mod.

For more explanation, please check out our video explaining how other mods with with ours. This can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gq-ApHU3W4

Servers and LAN play
During alpha and beta we will be hosting the servers ourselves. This is to collect crucial data such as logs, warnings, errors, crash reports and analytics which we can use to further improve this mod. LAN play will probably be supported after the beta.

We will be hosting the servers on multiple locations over the majority of the world (yes, including you Australia). You will be able to join friends using an in-game UI to simply either spawn a server or join a friend. All you need is an account on the ST website which can keep track over potential Patreon rewards.

We do not have a server limit, so you will be able to play at any time. Every server will technically support up to 64 players at the same time. Though, we recommend playing with smaller parties of 2-8 people as that is what we tested it on.

Patreon
While not being mandatory, we have a Patreon page where you can support our mod. All of the backing will go to server hosting and hackatons. There are small rewards on the table as a thank you. We also thank you very much for even considering this.

Link to our Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/SkyrimTogether

Gameplay and general
  • Characters
Before you are able to connect or create a session, you will first have to complete the character creation. If you haven't made a character yet, you will be prompted to make one before connecting / starting a session.

Mods like Alternate Start work like as you would expect; where you finish up a character and are allowed to connect in that specific cell. You will be able to see other players in that cell if they also decide to connect in that area.

• Appearance
You will be able to see a player's race, gender, apparel and weapons. We advise against SKSE character overhauls as we cannot synchronize those; use it at own risk. Movement interpolation will be taken place to make movement and animations look as smooth as possible. Custom races may work if you both have the mod, depending on the implementation of said mod.

Intense character editing such as vertex editing will not be synchronized, as that is functionality around the base game we cannot fetch using vanilla functionality. This might be possible in the future if the mod creators decide to implement our future API.

• Containers
Containers are fully synchronized. Chests, inventories, traders and more will display the same list which automatically updates whenever a change has been made. This includes looting and pickpocketing!

• Player versus player (PVP)
PVP will be fully supported and won't have a toggle to turn it off. As players are treated as NPCs, they can be fought as you normally would an NPC. This also means that you won't be able to fast travel if the AI hates you.

Every player character is marked as Essential, which means they cannot truly die. This means that killmoves will not be played and that the Wabbajack will only cast damaging spells.

• Player versus environment (PVE)
NPCs can be toggled to be hosted by just a cell host (preventing any kind of duplication), or that everyone hosts their own random/spawned encounters on their screen. NPCs that are spawned in will have their leveling handled by Skyrim, meaning that high level players will see high level NPCs and low level players will see low level NPCs.

We recommend setting the difficulty to something higher than you're normally playing on, as PVE is now easier than before with multiple people. If you're looking for a bigger challenge, we recommend installing other combat related mods.

NPCs are enabled before being used, meaning that you can see both Ralof and Hadvar in Riverwood if two players chose the other at the start in Helgen.

• World events and state
We synchronize events such as OnActivation events (when hitting 'E' to interact). This allows you to solve puzzles, open/close doors, interact with levers and more. Although, doors with the three circles that requires a claw doesn't seem to synchronize as it has specific scripting attached that doesn't work with the OnActivation event. You will have to solve these doors yourself. We recommend clearing a dungeon for the first time together as we do not synchronize the initial state of a cell.

• Cell changing and Fast Traveling
You are free to roam and fast travel to any cell you like. We don't limit players based on distance or area. Players in the same area (cell) will be able to see each other and their actions, NPCs and world state will be synchronized.

When fast traveling to other locations or entering new areas, you will be the only one moving to that new location. Other players who are connected will have to manually travel with you to the same location. There is a /tp PlayerName command in case you want to teleport to a player in the same area (e.g. Whiterun, Skyrim and Shimmermist Cave).

• Followers
Every player will be able to have their own follower. If a follower is shared, it will follow the first person that synchronized that follower. Other player will still be able to interact with the follower to make them carry their burdens.

• Death
Since we cannot afford to let the player die (as it desynchronizes a lot of states), players are marked as essential. Once your health reaches (below) 0, you will go in a down-but-not-out state where a friend can pick you up. If this happens within the death timer (around 45 seconds), you will be resurrected right on the spot. If this doesn't happen, you will be revived in the healing temple in Whiterun.

In case you don't want to wait the full 45 seconds, you can type /respawn in chat, which will instantly revive you in Whiterun. No debuff will be granted nor items will be lost. We plan having this death event in our future API, so you can implement a debuff yourself for others to use.

• Spells and shouts
Spells and shouts are fully synchronized. You can Fus-Ro-Dah someone off a cliff or shoot icy spikes into someone. Spells that affect other players will probably work as PVP is enabled (this can be both healing and damaging ones).

• Sneaking and stealth
Sneaking is an option while playing with your friends. You will be detected if a player is still standing and looking towards you, so that's the default behavior of any NPC.

• Experience and dragon souls
Experience and dragon souls are handled locally. This means that if you keep attacking, you'll level up locally. Experience is therefore not shared. If a dragon dies, everyone will get a soul. Everyone will be the dragonborn and we aren't going to change that.

• Slow time effects / slowmotion
Slowing time effects only work locally. If you are hosting the NPCs, then the NPCs will be slowed as well. This means that other players can still move with regular speed as if nothing has happened.

• Pausing
Pausing is disabled in menus. If you want to drink a potion - do it fast!

• Factions and bounties
Both factions and bounties are synchronized. If your friend is a Stormcloak and you see an Imperial patrol on the way hosted by you, then the Imperials will actively chase down your Stormcloak friend.

• Locks and lock picking
Locks are synchronized, meaning that you can break out of jail with your friends! Same goes for doors, chests and more. If an NPC or player opens a door with a key, it will be open for everyone.

• Trading
There will be no direct trading window in the game. However, you can drop items into the world and in chests. This is fully synchronized.

• Pickpocketing / thieving
You can become a thief and pickpocket other players. If the AI spots you, you won't be able to pickpocket the player anymore.

• Props
You can drop props in the world - other players will be able to see it and pick it up themselves.

• Console commands
Console commands will work such as tgm, tcl and additem. You can even make other NPCs play animations with these, as long as they are hosted by you. You can do funny things with them such as dancing, drinking and applauding.

• Quests
Quests will not be synced during initial release. If you want to quest together with your friend, then it's strongly advised to talk to the same NPCs and take the same choices. We let Skyrim handle the different choices that you players make online.

We do not know how quest events will happen if one player is further ahead than the other (or has made different choices). We let Skyrim handle it themselves.

• Time and weather
Both time and weather are synchronized. If you sleep, wait or even load a different save then time will not progress. Sleeping will still give you the rested bonus. We have commands to change the current time of the server.

• Saving and loading
It is possible to save while being online, though we highly recommend not to load in another savegame while playing online. This can mess with the state of the world and player synchronization. We recommend you disconnect first before doing so.

• Houses / homes
Every player will be able to buy the same house. We do not think that the interior will be synchronized as it is handled locally. We do not aim to synchronize this either before initial release.

• Marriage
Is untested - we do not think that it will be synchronized, though we do think that it is possible. Or maybe just roleplay it.

• Transformations
You are able to become a werewolf and vampire in our mod - it's also fully synchronized. You can use the Vampiric Seduction spell on your friends (unless they are level 10 or higher (at which point they will resist the spell)). Though, you cannot infect other players with vampirism.

• Dialogue
Dialogue will initially not be synchronized. We have plans to synchronize this after initial release.

Porting to other (Bethesda) games (like Fallout 4)
We currently have no intentions as of now to develop multiplayer for other games. Let's finish up Skyrim first. :)

Bugs and crashes
If you manage to find a bug or crash in our initial release, you can submit it on our website. Crash reports are created in the Skyrim folder and can be uploaded to give us more debugging info.

We currently keep a list of known bugs on our public GitHub page: https://github.com/SkyrimTogether/issues-game/issues

Our socials
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyrimTogether/

Discord: https://discord.gg/SkyrimTogether

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SkyrimTogether

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/SkyrimTogether
https://old.reddit.com/r/SkyrimToge...ficial_faq_20_read_this_first_before_posting/

Loostreaks

Learned
Man, I was playing Skyrim SE with YASH. Damn, that shit got better with SE. I played it on LE first, and it was good, but damn, it's much improved.

With Requiem, I could kill bandits at a low level. With YASH, you'd be lucky to damage them. I found myself actually using poisons and potions. I mean you absolutely have to. I've only rarely had to do it with Requiem. The one thing I do miss with Requiem was the crossbow one-shotting bandits. Valtheim Towers is absolutely amazing with Requiem, same with that outpost/castle outside of Whiterun.

Still, for anyone waiting to try SE, do it with YASH 2. Very lightweight-weight mod, very difficult. You could couple it with Wildcat+Vigor if you want to punish yourself, but it's entirely unnecessary. I do like Wildcat (or Vigors?) stagger, though. I think it's best when you get the same effects the NPCs do.

Some things I like better about YASH, somethings I like better about Requiem. I don't like that bullets and gold are weightless in YASH. But I guess it balances out some of these issues with having to grind for every level and every skill. With Requiem, I was grinding for gold, but with YASH, I'm grinding for skills.

Overall, YASH 2 is pretty damn great.

Difficult..in what way, in comparison? More hitpoints/armor/etc?
I haven't tried the mod, but from the docs, it seems like "Requiem lite", of a sorts. What I like more about it, is that skill level matters, while Requiem relegates everything on perks. But YASH restricts higher ones based on race choice...which is plain retarded.
Where Requiem is falling behind is with creature/AI mods and some perk trees. Otherwise, it's still pretty difficult late game with VIGOR and some restrictions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom