Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Man, I was playing Skyrim SE with YASH. Damn, that shit got better with SE. I played it on LE first, and it was good, but damn, it's much improved.

With Requiem, I could kill bandits at a low level. With YASH, you'd be lucky to damage them. I found myself actually using poisons and potions. I mean you absolutely have to. I've only rarely had to do it with Requiem. The one thing I do miss with Requiem was the crossbow one-shotting bandits. Valtheim Towers is absolutely amazing with Requiem, same with that outpost/castle outside of Whiterun.

Still, for anyone waiting to try SE, do it with YASH 2. Very lightweight-weight mod, very difficult. You could couple it with Wildcat+Vigor if you want to punish yourself, but it's entirely unnecessary. I do like Wildcat (or Vigors?) stagger, though. I think it's best when you get the same effects the NPCs do.

Some things I like better about YASH, somethings I like better about Requiem. I don't like that bullets and gold are weightless in YASH. But I guess it balances out some of these issues with having to grind for every level and every skill. With Requiem, I was grinding for gold, but with YASH, I'm grinding for skills.

Overall, YASH 2 is pretty damn great.

Difficult..in what way, in comparison? More hitpoints/armor/etc?
I haven't tried the mod, but from the docs, it seems like "Requiem lite", of a sorts. What I like more about it, is that skill level matters, while Requiem relegates everything on perks. But YASH restricts higher ones based on race choice...which is plain retarded.
Where Requiem is falling behind is with creature/AI mods and some perk trees. Otherwise, it's still pretty difficult late game with VIGOR and some restrictions.
The AI is improved, he puts in glass-tank battlemages, and you don't do much damage early. Hell, it's very modular so if you don't like his AI you can just swap it out for another.

It's a lot more difficult than Requiem because it takes a while to gain skills. I got my skills high enough to use iron weapons, and I couldn't put a dent into any of the bandits near Whiterun. It wasn't until I was able to wield steel that I could do so. As I said, with Requiem, you get that ebony dagger early in Helgen's dungeon (if it's still there), and you can just bulldoze bandits early. You can't do that with YASH. Hell, those wolves you meet outside of Riverwood will fuck your shit up unless you run.

I don't know about the late game at all, though. Had a bit of computer issues, so I had to uninstall Skyrim and see what the hell is going on. I think my PSU is failing, so I ordered a new one. Anyways, I've read on the YASH forums that the late game might be easy.

It's not anything like Requiem. It's more like a hardcore Skyrim. It keeps a lot of the base-game, unlike Requiem which changes so much. Requiem feels more like a different game, YASH feels more like Skyrim. I don't think they're comparable.

Yosharian

Arcane
The ebony dagger is removed now, I think? Or is that just Ultimate Skyrim?

Anyway, by far the biggest problems with these kind of overhaul mods is a) build diversity and b) lategame balance. I really like that Requiem has some very difficult challenges lategame.

user

Savant
I hope Ultimate encounters - Sands of time has been mentioned. Makes the game very dynamic (e.g. it has random encounters inside the dungeon, random enemy reinforcements etc). It pairs well with Requiem, albeit a little unstable.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Who the fuck would want to play Skyrim multiplayer? Game is easy enough as it is.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The ebony dagger is removed now, I think? Or is that just Ultimate Skyrim?

Anyway, by far the biggest problems with these kind of overhaul mods is a) build diversity and b) lategame balance. I really like that Requiem has some very difficult challenges lategame.
Never played Ultimate Skyrim. Requiem had an ebony dagger you can get super early if you know where to look. You could fuck people's shit up early with that weapon. I like Requiem and YASH. I'm not a proponent of either, but if you want to play SE, you're pretty much stuck with YASH unless someone knows of a better overhaul.

Not sure if you can make YASH's lategame harder, but you sure as shit can make the early-mid game too hard if you add Wildcat/Vigor. As I said, I've never had to use potions in Requiem unless I'm doing something that requires. Was pleasantly surprised having to use stamina potions and poisons. By the way, alchemy is ridiculously overpowered in both YASH and Requiem.

I think maybe creating an overhaul where creating potions requires Septims at a fraction of what buying the potion from a merchant costs. I think that *might* help. Anyways, I try my best not to use alchemy when playing either overhaul because of how ridiculously overpowered it is.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I think maybe creating an overhaul where creating potions requires Septims at a fraction of what buying the potion from a merchant costs. I think that *might* help. Anyways, I try my best not to use alchemy when playing either overhaul because of how ridiculously overpowered it is.
Potions are too plentiful. Every nook and cranny has a potion. (Fallout 4 had the same problem with chems being all over the fucking place)

Their spawning locations and rates needs a complete rework. When dungeon-delving, potions should only be located, in descending order of likeliness and quantity: at the end of dungeons, in secret rooms, or behind locked doors. No more finding potions laying around on tables or inside urns; or if you do find them in these locations, it needs to be a super rare event that makes you thank your lucky stars. And whenever you do find potions, they should usually be pretty shitty -- no more reaching level 20 and finding ultimate potions of healing ever four minutes.

As for the alchemy skill, just require more ingredients per potion. Instead of needing 1 ingredient X and 1 ingredient Y to make a potion of minor healing, make it more like four of each ingredient. Double the ingredients needed for each increasing tier of potion effectiveness. Then make a multi-staged perk that incrementally reduces the ingredients necessary to produce a potion. To account for the difficulty in making potions, make them more expensive (also has the effect of limiting their accessibility from alchemists, which makes sense, because they're valuable magic products).

Oh, and to top it all off, passive non-resting health regeneration needs to be removed completely.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh, and to top it all off, passive non-resting health regeneration needs to be removed completely.
Requiem does that.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Potions are too plentiful. Every nook and cranny has a potion. (Fallout 4 had the same problem with chems being all over the fucking place)

Their spawning locations and rates needs a complete rework. When dungeon-delving, potions should only be located, in descending order of likeliness and quantity: at the end of dungeons, in secret rooms, or behind locked doors. No more finding potions laying around on tables or inside urns; or if you do find them in these locations, it needs to be a super rare event that makes you thank your lucky stars. And whenever you do find potions, they should usually be pretty shitty -- no more reaching level 20 and finding ultimate potions of healing ever four minutes.

As for the alchemy skill, just require more ingredients per potion. Instead of needing 1 ingredient X and 1 ingredient Y to make a potion of minor healing, make it more like four of each ingredient. Double the ingredients needed for each increasing tier of potion effectiveness. Then make a multi-staged perk that incrementally reduces the ingredients necessary to produce a potion. To account for the difficulty in making potions, make them more expensive (also has the effect of limiting their accessibility from alchemists, which makes sense, because they're valuable magic products).

Requiring more ingredients doesn't solve that problem when they're everywhere. Hell, you can make powerful potions with the most simple ingredients that are found right inside a city.

I've never found super powerful potions lying around unless you are stealing from an alchemy store, which you might be. I've gotten the majority from fallen bandits or inside chests. Maybe it also might be my unwillingness to pick potions off of tables, though.

Potions and ingredients can get pretty damn expensive in Requiem, so I think that mod already has it covered. Still, alchemy is super broken in that game. I think the best thing to do is to add the gold function like in PoE. Gold is a lot more difficult to come across in Requiem. Took me a long time to get a horse for example.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Requiring more ingredients doesn't solve that problem when they're everywhere. Hell, you can make powerful potions with the most simple ingredients that are found right inside a city.
But that doesn't make any sense.
- If there are 100 of an ingredient in the game, and it takes 1 to make a potion, then you can make 100 potions.
- If there are 50 of an ingredient in the game, and it takes 1 to make a potion, then you can make 50 potions.
- If there are 100 of an ingredient in the game, and it takes 2 to make a potion, then you can 50 potions.
It's much easier to solve the problem with the third option as opposed to going through the whole game and deleting half the ingredients.

I've never found super powerful potions lying around unless you are stealing from an alchemy store, which you might be.
Are you talking about Requiem or vanilla? I regularly find ultimate potions of X in in groups in vanilla. Like, all the time.

I think the best thing to do is to add the gold function like in PoE.
Why would you have to pay gold to grind up up some plants? Go outside, grab some plants, and crush them. Did you have to also drop some change on the ground as you did it? Way too gamey.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
But that doesn't make any sense.
- If there are 100 of an ingredient in the game, and it takes 1 to make a potion, then you can make 100 potions.
- If there are 50 of an ingredient in the game, and it takes 1 to make a potion, then you can make 50 potions.
- If there are 100 of an ingredient in the game, and it takes 2 to make a potion, then you can 50 potions.
It's much easier to solve the problem with the third option as opposed to going through the whole game and deleting half the ingredients.

I've never found super powerful potions lying around unless you are stealing from an alchemy store, which you might be.
Are you talking about Requiem or vanilla? I regularly find ultimate potions of X in in groups in vanilla. Like, all the time.

I think the best thing to do is to add the gold function like in PoE.
Why would you have to pay gold to grind up up some plants? Go outside, grab some plants, and crush them. Did you have to also drop some change on the ground as you did it? Way too gamey.
Ingredients spawn back, though. You aren't capped at 100 of an ingredient unless you completely remove the spawn feature. Then you have the sheer amount of ingredients there are in the world. I can't see how your idea would balance alchemy.

Only way it would work is to remove the spawn feature or limit ingredients. I think Requiem already changes ingredient spawn time, IIRC. I could be wrong, though.

When you use the alchemy table, you're using it at a person's location (unless you have a home--never had a custom one so I don't know if you can add alchemy tables). Just think of it as a fee to use an NPC's alchemy table based on what kind of potion you make. NPC gets their cut because you're using their lab. However you want to justify it.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Ingredients spawn back, though. You aren't capped at 100 of an ingredient unless you completely remove the spawn feature. Then you have the sheer amount of ingredients there are in the world. I can't see how your idea would balance alchemy.
You're just describing an unnecessarily more complicated way of affecting the ratio of ingredient availability to potion crafting (and also not accounting for purchasing ingredients in shops). It accomplishes exactly the same thing as making potions require more ingredients.

When you use the alchemy table, you're using it at a person's location (unless you have a home--never had a custom one so I don't know if you can add alchemy tables). Just think of it as a fee to use an NPC's alchemy table based on what kind of potion you make. NPC gets their cut because you're using their lab. However you want to justify it.
Then the moment you get an alchemy table of your own (not hard to do), you immediately break the alchemy balance. Even easier -- use the thousands alchemy tables littering dungeons for free, thus breaking the balance. Applying fees to owned alchemy tables is fine as an addition, but relying on gold costs to balance alchemy is nonsensical.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You're just describing an unnecessarily more complicated way of affecting the ratio of ingredient availability to potion crafting (and also not accounting for purchasing ingredients in shops). It accomplishes exactly the same thing as making potions require more ingredients.

Then the moment you get an alchemy table of your own (not hard to do), you immediately break the alchemy balance. Even easier -- use the thousands alchemy tables littering dungeons for free, thus breaking the balance. Applying fees to owned alchemy tables is fine as an addition, but relying on gold costs to balance alchemy is nonsensical.
The only way it would balance out alchemy is if you establish some limit. Ingredients are everywhere. I always end up with a surplus of ingredients even when I'm not aiming to become an alchemist. You could end up with 100+ potions in very little time even if you increase the requirement. Then you make a ton of gold from the useless potions you are making. It's still broken and you pretty much resolved nothing. Alchemy is practically a license to print money in Skyrim.

As I said, however the hell you want to justify the gold requirement. Hell, think of the gold as a requirement to get vials since they just randomly pop out of thin air, or hell, have a system where you need to buy vials and only certain, more expensive vials, hold more powerful potions. It doesn't really matter how you justify it as long as it keeps alchemy in check. I think the only way you can do this is by charging the player gold in some form or another.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The very fact that your idea of fixing this game still focuses around balance shows how little you understand the genre.

It's a single player game. There is no need for balance.

Now, the fact that you can become a master alchemist from just running around mixing random things is dumb and should be made more believable and fun, sure, but why balance anything?

Make equipment (or tables), glass vials, and time to brew points a requirement for realism or in order to prevent autism from compelling you to mix shit at random all day long, but not to balance anything.

It's just a dumb concept to start with and whatever misguided notion leads you to do it is probably the same flaw that allows you to like retarded mods like Requiem or to play this broken piece of shit of a game so much to begin with.

Drax

Arcane
The only way I see of balancing alchemy without using overly gamey requirements is to make it so that 1) you really need to learn the recipes, which should be hard to get and 2) you need to find master alchemists to teach you, no more levelling up the skill just by brewing 150 weak restore health potions.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Could also just Witcher it -- limit the amount of potions you can imbibe. Could even be considered an old school food-type mechanic instead of toxicity, i.e. you're stuffed and couldn't possibly drink another potion.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Ultimate Skyrim 4.0 comes out April 6th. Dunno why you'd bother trying to create your own mod setup now. Just wait a couple of months. It's going to be fucking epic.
Thank you very much, good sir. I wasn't aware of this collection and always liked Requiem.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The very fact that your idea of fixing this game still focuses around balance shows how little you understand the genre.

It's a single player game. There is no need for balance.

Now, the fact that you can become a master alchemist from just running around mixing random things is dumb and should be made more believable and fun, sure, but why balance anything?

Make equipment (or tables), glass vials, and time to brew points a requirement for realism or in order to prevent autism from compelling you to mix shit at random all day long, but not to balance anything.

It's just a dumb concept to start with and whatever misguided notion leads you to do it is probably the same flaw that allows you to like retarded mods like Requiem or to play this broken piece of shit of a game so much to begin with.
Your post is dumb as hell. Yeah, don't try to fix something because of my feelings. No one gives a shit what you think.

You seriously just actively looked up this thread just to state this piece of retarded post for what reason... Sounds more like you seriously need to get a grip on reality and come to terms with the fact that no one gives a shit about you. This is the most attention anyone will ever give you, so I hope you are happy that I'm even quoting you.

I've been playing RPGs since before you were beating your tiny meat to gay porn, you little shit. You only argue with emotions and feelings like a punk woman.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom