Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tormund, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Better in the sense that you can simulate the use of a floppy drive and not have the floppy simply hanging off a USB port. But yeah, both methods obviously get the job done, it's just a gimmick.

^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I've bent, broken, drilled and surgically pulled apart my share of 3.5" floppies through the years, and the USB key is located in a non-essential part of the floppy. If they use lightweight materials in the USB part of the floppy disk, it should be perfectly fine and usable in any 3.5" floppy drive - except the USB part can't be read by the drive, of course.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Missed out the part where the USB is connected to the flap. Still, if designed properly it should be usable in a drive, but I'd need a closer look to find out.

The boxed collector's copy of Thimbleweed Park also came with a floppy disk, and it contained a couple of ThimbPark-related files... and a speck of dust IIRC.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    :argh:

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    I had to laugh when the developer in his steam quotes above emphatically stated "We're completely non-political" not because I thought it wasn't true (I'm sure it is true) but because professional game developers do seem to take pains NOT to be overtly political in their games. There's a charming moment in a John Romero stream from his home with his young son who helped him design a recent game and they're at the monitor looking over the product just released or about to be released. His kid says "We need a Donald Trump character in this game." John's eyes immediately flash to red alert status as he looks at his son and sternly says something like "NO! We're not going to get political here... at all!" :hahano:

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    You know, a funny thought has just crossed my mind. The perfect way to give Shelly personality and to indirectly tie this game with Duke.

Just base Shelly on Peggy from this (and this - and yes, the pranker in this one behaves like a swine, he does ultimately get his ass handed to him). Maybe even with tracking down actual Peggy somehow and offering her the actual job of being the official voice actress and the co-writer on Ion Maiden (if she is still in any shape to do that).

Maybe it wouldn't fit the current vision of the game all that much, but it would be a vastly better and more memorable Shelly, than the current one regardless.

^ Top  
  6. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Why is it so hard to just let people create their own art out of their own volition? Why does everyone have to become some shreeking degenerate bitch because something doesnt go his way?

Youre just a customer. Shut your little trap mouth.

• retadred x 4
    • what? x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grim Monk Arcane

Grim Monk
    They are asking for OTHER PEOPLES MONEY to PAY for their art.

BUYING A PRODUCT inherently conveys a right to assess and criticize the value of the item.

The "commercial creator" can then accept or discount criticism, at risk of finding that it resonates with other customers.
    :keepmymoney:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Nonono. They are not asking anybody. They are merely offering their product. If people like their art, they pay. If not, well they dont have to do anything. They are not being approached, they are not being bothered. And also i would argue that the main portion of SJW or anti-SJW retards throwing a hissyfit over the next best piece of art/entertainment never intended to even pay a single dime for it.

Dude you should calm down. Im not demanding legislation or something to prohibit your precious SJW-discussions. I am merely urging people to consider how they manufacture their criticism. There is a difference between criticizing a product and commanding creators to fit their political agenda beforehand, most likely simply to showcase their power/influence. And of course you are allowed to criticize in general, but if you base it on petty retarded shit then your criticism itself becomes a worthless pile of steaming shit. Its even less than worthless because it eats peoples attention and therefor wastes time. Its a negative net worth.

People always like to point out that everyone has to cherish their precious rights, yet they do not even respect those rights themselves in a proper way. They neglect that with every right you possess comes responsibility.

You have the right to vote, therefor you have the responsibility to inform yourself about the current political landscape. You have the right to bear arms, therefor you have the responsibility to keep others from possible harm that weapon could inflinct upon them. You have the right to procreate, therefor you have the responsibility to raise your child.

And you have the right to write user reviews about an indie retro fps based on the build engine, therefor you have the responsibility not to be a drooling lunatic who likes to drag others into some political wankfest and drag attention away from worthwhile discussion about gameplay.

I mean we all know how fed up you guys are with third wave feminist nutjobs. But sorry man, nobody cares.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grim Monk Arcane

Grim Monk
    Most of this thread was people discussing the merits of the game.

It got briefly derailed due to a article about the game featuring standard weaselly "Sex-Neg" leftist hand-wringing.

Then why are YOU commenting about it in the first place...
    :smug:

Spouting typical "You guys should stop being ENTITLED by having opinions!" corpspeak.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    What's the eta of this?

And how can they say they are 3d realms? Isn't 3d realms dead?

^ Top  
  11. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Never.
    It's essentially a scam company today that rereleases some old crap every once in a while. Kinda went the way of Atari, being only Atari in name, in this case 3D Realms in name. Some danish investor owns the company now and none of the OGs are still working there IIRC.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Do you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about? I'm not seeing any of the release behaviour you're describing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_Realms_games
    Duke Nukem Forever aside, they seem to be one of few old school companies not overly tainted by the decline.

Stop your strange crusade against this game. It's irrational and not based in facts of reality.

^ Top  
  13. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Bombshell was god awful shit and they were only running on the 3D Realms name. Still sold like ass and no one liked it. The reason they are not "tainted by the decline" is because they do fucking NOTHING. They sold everything they had of value and throw money at small developers hoping whatever shit they make is going to stick.

^ Top  
  14. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Bombshell apparently was awful, but I think they suffered for it given that it was received very poorly by critics and gamers alike and in all likelihood it sold at a loss. Steam Spy numbers show 11,000 owners. Rather weak. Maybe it broke even as it would have been somewhat low budget, but still.

Anyhow, it's absolutely in their best interest to make a good game here. Gameplay quality is a must, because:

a) it's running on the heavily outdated build engine. No graphical powerhouse here.
    b) target audience is the old school, who often have standards in gameplay.
    c) they (intentionally?) made a shit shovelware game with bombshell and failed to sell their shit to the braindead masses in good numbers, so making that mistake again would not be wise.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I've tried the early access and what surprised me is the fucking darkness being abused. It's a thing they seem to have inherited from hexen mods x.x

^ Top  
  16. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Appeal to the modern level designers at Voidpoint: study the fuck out of Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood. While everything in those games were great, it's imperative to get the level design right. I replayed Nukem 3D recently and my god level design in the 90s used to be such an art. I'm specifically talking about level design's impact and revolving around gameplay first and foremost.

I've also been playing user maps from the Duke mod community. In my experience while the Doom community often surpassed id's level designs in Doom, Duke's community did not surpass 3D realms' next level masterworks. Admittedly I'm saying that with a limited data set though e.g I've not played even half of what the community has to offer.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Ash did you try duke it hard? :P

^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    No, precisely because it is limited in concept in regards to level design:

I'm assuming the mappers likely get very creative within the confines of that building just like the "Going Down" mod for Doom (same concept, and I played that one), but it ensures all maps have a similar theme (indoors), similar size and layout (e.g you can't have a amazing level like Duke 3D's The Abyss), and while it is likely good regardless just like Going Down was, 3D Realms would have never limited their designs in its entirety completely to the confines of one building.

note: I'm open to the possibility I'm being ignorant here, but I doubt I am.

I remember being rather impressed with some of the level design in the AMCTC though, like Milhaven.
    Not sure if it surpasses Duke 3D's but it was very good (much grander scale, but overall tighness and execution perhaps lesser).

^ Top  
  19. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I did +M

• Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    You are not wrong on that, but given that the pack is the combined work of 15 people, posing such a limit is a needed if you want to get a semblance of coherent work.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. wyes gull Learned

wyes gull
    What the hell, lads? Am I missing something or have you lot forgotten how floppy disks work?
    [​IMG]
    In red, the size of the disk inside the protective casing. Notice the overlap with the USB connection in yellow and the part in blue which is likely where the memory chip is going to be?
    No way that magnetic disk is in one piece or can even rotate with that crap up in there. It may be a real floppy in the sense that it's made of real floppy parts but I don't see how this can possibly work
    . Not to mention what the floppy drive is going to do to it (or itself) once it removes the protective cover and a USB connector shoots off the side.
    Ok so I decided to take one apart and whereas the disk is thin enough to spin behind the connector (even though it's supposed to be centered in the plastic frame), if it does spin, that means the USB pen assembly is limited to half the width of a 3.5'' floppy, which is 1/16 of an inch or 1.5 mms. Nifty.

Now I'm curious. If one of you buys it, be sure to tear it apart for our edification.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nark Augur

Nark
    Q3 2018

Game will have 7 "zones" (aka Episodes) of similar length as the preview campaign's zone. The preview campaign zone isn't counted in the 7 zones for the full game. I would guess slightly longer if Duke's episodes/shareware is anything to go by. Episode 1 is like 6 levels and Episodes 2 and 3 are 11 levels each. The preview campaign zone in Ion Maiden is 5 maps long, stitched together (starting area, streets/office area, sewer area, subway area, mech boss area).

They have already been developing this shit for a while and it's not like they have 6 months to make 7 zones from scratch, they have tons of that content already finished but their approach to the preview campaign was to not show all that stuff to the players yet and have the preview campaign be separate. If you look at the screenshots on the Ion Maiden site, the press release kit & the steam store page you can see videos and screenshots of other already developed levels.

I asked on Discord about this stuff and one of the Voidpoint devs said the Preview Campaign is a small amalgamation of the different types of zones you will encounter in the full game. Like one zone will be entirely subterranean, one zone will be city streets and offices, etc.

Some examples of stuff that was in the press kit (videos here), I don't know if anyone posted this earlier in the thread:
    [​IMG]
    https://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/171778453637/ion-maiden-b-roll-footage-1-this-is-footage-of-a
    https://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/171813703689/ion-maiden-b-roll-footage-5-this-is-footage-of-a

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Q3 2018 is a very strange way to say "never."

• FAKE NEWS x 5
    • Edgy x 4
    • STOP! posting x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    Because Ion Maiden is a game, (being) designed by a committee, which, as for right now, looks and plays like a somewhat more visually detailed and otherwise vastly inferior version of Eradicator (which isn't even all that much of a compliment, despite Eradicator having been and still being a fairly decent game). Why should I feel any reluctance in regard to potentially chipping in on a committee-designed product? Moreover, it's not like I have any way of actually making the developers to accept my proposition, for better or for worse.

You are being unnecessarily rude. If you continue that sort of verbal behavior in relation to me, you will be the first person here to grace my blacklist with your majestic presence. I am not afraid of you, and I am fairly confident in my ability to take you on. However, I don't currently think, that you are worth the time I would need in order to shut your WHORE mouth for good (as for that would actually require some thinking, in contrast with simply half-assedly typing the word WHORE, while thinking about something way more important for me than that). And I suggest you to seek someone other's attention if you don't have anything constructive to convey, which you frankly don't seem to.

P.S. "Derision" - you might want to use that word in order to characterize the style this post was written in, should you desire to do so.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    I don't miss floppy disks, they were annoying.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)