Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "I've never felt more pressure in my life": Brian Fargo Interviewed by Edge Online

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Every software project is always at risk of failure. Remember that about half of all game projects started get cancelled before they're even announced. Or a game might get finished but be irredeemably bad due to decisions made early in the project whose negative impact didn't become apparent before it is too late to go back and change them.

Fargo and his team should have the experience needed to minimize these risks, but the can't possibly eliminate them completely.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hunted looks like it could be fun for the lulz. Graphics are pretty bad for a 2011 game though.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I've never felt more pressure to deliver in my life.

Codexian Hitmen make you feel like this :smug:
--fixed

If he fails this, he has made himself a powerful enemy...

God damn newfags failing their lore rolls.

And what is wrong with the rest of you, why haven't you raped this cunt to death yet? Growing soft?

Some of us have better things to do during a Friday evening.

Totally retarded, though.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Hunted was one of best action RPGs i played last time (modern titles).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
It was challenging game, it was tactical, it required good reaction AND decision making. Also plot & setting was nice.

Plenty of good puzzles, some of them optional, some not.

laclongquan

Arcane
1 second of ass shot, around 10 seconds of body shot... That's it. Before my dick can get hard the rest of the 8 minute video turn me off immediately.

Mhmmm~ No, based on that vid, I wouldnt say Hunted is a game worth a torrent.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Whenever I see videos of these InXile games, I realize why I am relatively distant from all this Wasteland 2 hype.

Whenever I hear Chris Taylor, Jason Anderson and Tim Cain talk about wanting to emulate a pen and paper RPG in a computer game, I'm all "from the hacks who made Stonekeep? You gotta be kidding me"
- 1997 calling

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Whenever I see videos of these InXile games, I realize why I am relatively distant from all this Wasteland 2 hype.

Whenever I hear Chris Taylor, Jason Anderson and Tim Cain talk about wanting to emulate a pen and paper RPG in a computer game, I'm all "from the hacks who made Stonekeep? You gotta be kidding me"
- 1997 calling
Except it would have been a perfectly legitimate thing to say in 1995. I mean, logically, you judge people on their record. And if they don't have a record, they don't have anything to show for themselves. They may surprise you, but on what grounds can you affirm that in advance?

Hell, you saw the list of projects worked on by these designers. The ones being brought in from the original Wasteland team have not worked on a game in decades. And as for InXile team itself, it has worked on terrible, lousy, and mediocre games.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Except it would have been a perfectly legitimate thing to say in 1995. I mean, logically, you judge people on their record.

You do indeed. But the comparison works more closely than you think. Stonekeep was an extended, publisher-driven, throwing-good-money-after-bad pit. Fallout was a minor, out-of-sight, B-list project. You factor in record, you don't judge by it.

They're just so different. It's like saying you don't think someone will make a good comedy because their previous drama films weren't comedies. They were still competently made (though not outstanding) drama films. If they can make those well, and then say they want to do something else, why really relate the two the way you're doing, at all.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
B-list project? Fallout was a relatively high profile game. It had some of the most famous VG voice actors of the 1990s, from David Warner to Tony Jay. It had astonishingly high quality graphics for 1996, complete with the most impressive death animations for the time. And it had a fairly long and comfortable development time - Tim Cain was sitting on that one since the early 1990s. It also had enough pre-release exposure and hype to have significant commercial success.

While it is tempting to think of good games as having been obscure, under-funded projects and bad games as having been over-funded high profile releases, it's worth mentioning that Interplay and Black Isle games were not in that category. Those were big guns for their time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/8/2855595/fallout-gdc-black-isle-interplay-obsidian-bethesda

Speaking at GDC 2012, Obsidian Entertainment's Timothy Cain calls Fallout "the game that almost never was." The innovative post-apocalyptic RPG started life as a skunk works project Cain tinkered around with alone in his office. It became a franchise and an inspiration. It was almost cancelled twice.

Cain, working at game development studio Interplay, created the engine and most of the design for the game that would later spawn three direct sequels. He worked on it, by himself, noodling with the mechanics of the design and incorporating a then-popular pen and paper role-playing system created by Steve Jackson called GURPS. Later, Cain enlisted help from fellow employees at Interplay who would work with him on the game in their spare time.

Cain says producers on other Interplay games would get mad because he was distracting people from working on their games. But from the beginning he says that everyone involved knew they were working on something special.

The story of Fallout is a classic example of a new idea nurtured by a small, dedicated team working against seemingly insurmountable odds.

For six months, starting in 1994, Cain built the engine alone. He was given no money and no resources — only time — to devise what would become the backbone of Fallout.

Then he got a writer. Then an artist.

Then, slowly, over the course of the next three years, Cain assembled a team of 30 who, over pizza on late nights, built what would become one of the most influential games of its time, and one of Interplay's best-loved hits. Quality Assurance testers worked for free on weekends.

Fallout, considered a "risk" by Interplay, became a hit, leading to creation of three direct sequels including Bethesda's smash hit Fallout 3, one of the best-selling games of 2008 and winner of "Game of the Year" at the 2009 Game Developers Choice Awards. Success due in large part to the vision and style of the original game.

Almost fittingly, the Fallout team was forced to fight for its survival. The now-legendary game was threatened with extinction on three separate occasions and saved only through extreme effort on the part of Cain and his crew. And in one instance, he actually had to beg.

The first threat to Fallout's existence came when Interplay acquired the licenses to the Forgotten Realms and Planescape Dungeons & Dragons franchises. The studio immediately began planing for a raft of D&D inspired games utilizing these popular worlds, and Fallout, then considered expendable, was put on the chopping block. Cain says he literally begged Interplay executives to give his game a chance and, shockingly, they relented. Development continued.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Wyrmlord stop pretending that you care about RPGs by spouting your uninformed opinion, continue to do that in GD, thanks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fargo doesn't know anything about programming, and anything wrong with stonekeep should fall on Cain's head.
Tim Cain's contribution to Stonekeep was critical error handling code and a chocolate chip pumpkin muffin recipe, wrong guy to blame.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

Brad-Pitt.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, before my time at the Codex. The heady days of youth and optimism, eh? Reading the interview excerpt now, and the thread, makes me feel funny. :?

Oh and
Ken St. Andre
Wasteland (1988), Electronic Arts, Inc.
Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set (1986), Electronic Arts, Inc.
You're right here - just Wasteland.
Go to hell! ACS was the shit!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom