Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Jack Houston and the Necronauts

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I haven't watched the video yet, but isn't "they" just the one guy and a programmer?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still don't think this will be even finished, or if it is it will more than likely be crap. I should not have backed this, but now I am a learning animal.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, he mentioned that he wanted to do a "Round 2" on Kickstarter, as well. (This was in the comments section for Mage's Initiation.)

Warbird Games 1 day ago

Hey John! Yes, you can still back us at warbirdgames.com. Also, we may still do a round 2 on KS, as our original campaign had a bumpy ride at the end and there's still some things I think we can do to make the project better for everyone. BTW, we're doing daily Jack Houston updates on the Warbird Games YouTube channel now. I'll be sue and plug Mage's Initiation on the next one, although I doubt Himalaya needs much help. This campaign is going fantastically!!! I'm a huge fan of QGF and the idea of Adventure/RPG, I'm really thrilled to see more being done with it finally. HUGE salute to the Himalaya team!!

Yeah - while the concept art and idea are nice, you have to be thrifty and crafty to make a game for a low budget.

Bt

kaizoku

Arcane
oh boy...
I do hope he finishes it.
I don't mind if it happens only 1 year or 2 years latter. But I do hope he delivers. And by deliver I mean something finished, not a "here you go, now GTFO".

The whole stop motion was an alert call... but I still got seduced by that great pitch, setting and artwork.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
The pulp theme, the 50's aesthetics and the stop-motion animation was what made me interested in the project and pledge. But the lack of substantial updates (until last month) and the low amount asked, paints this game as a failure.

Not to mention that asshole was gloating on Twitter each day how nice were the toys he was buying and the shit he was getting for his workshop, while the questions and the shouts for updates in the Kickstarter were being ignored.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah - the production artwork was really great. But you have to have a solid plan in place - not just some idea.... I mean, there's no WAY he'll be able to fufill his rewards on that budget.

Bt

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was a substantial update today.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts/posts/520875

If you thought this project was dead in the water, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

I think it's going to be a long wait for the game as it is a two person team working on it I think, but my expectations are about as high now as they were when I contributed. The art is going to be of high quality. He's also very forthcoming about mistakes he's made as he's been working on it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
AssetList_6-26-2013.jpg

This document is a joke. Right?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I love the look and the idea of this game - but shits its a LOT of work, even for 2 people!

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer

A Humble Partnership Is Formed

Yes, Jack Houston And The Necronauts will be distributed digitally to all its wonderful backers via the amazing folks at Humble Bundle! Each backer will be given a unique key code to access the rewards associated with their tier. You can even tie it to your humble bundle account so you'll always have your Jack Houston goodies in your Humble Bundle collection!

Humble Bundle will also be handling pre-sales for the game from now on. Let's give those guys a hand!

Pre-Orders Now Open Via Humble Bundle
Now, anyone can pre-order the game through Humble Bundle! And for a limited time, we are leaving the option to claim certain backer levels as well, so there's still time to get the boxed edition! Check out the all new pre-order page: http://www.warbirdgames.com/?page_id=545

Another Partnership Unites Jack Houston With More Players Than Ever!
Its official, folks! Jack is headed for the Unity engine, and Cerulean Games is partnering with Warbird Games to make it happen! Cerulean CEO Dave Calabrese has been working to develop the foundation of the ideal 2D adventure game engine within Unity and, with our new partnership, Jack Houston and it's backers will be reaping the benefits! It's a perfect partnership because, as Jack inherits advantages only possible by switching to Unity like higher and dynamic resolutions, smoother scaling, deeper parallaxing, more elaborate scene animations, smoother gameplay and virtually unlimited platform support, the Cerulean Games engine will enjoy the growth and development that comes from applying the framework to a full blown adventure game, keeping up with all its real world demands.

It's a perfect match, and I'm truly excited to see Jack move up a notch with Cerulean Games and Unity!

A Deeper Look Behind-The-Scenes
With nearly 50 videos documenting all the various aspects of production, the response to the YouTube channel has been great so far. Looking back however, I feel like it could be so much more. The short snippets can be interesting when they build up over time, but I'd like to see the YouTube videos go further. If each episode can become a more complete slice of the development experience, I believe they could act as a far more comprehensive update for backers, as well as a solid point of entry for new fans to find the project.

Furthermore, I would like to invite everyone to post questions for me either on the youtube channel, by @'ing me on Twitter, over email (warbirdgames [at] gmail.com), or wherever, and I will answer you live on the new video series!

Check out the first episode of Warbird Games Fantasy Workshop!

The Continuing Adventures Of Jack Houston
Last time I hinted at a major change to the game structure. As promised, I presented my concept to the VIP/ Producer level backers, and although the response was spare, it was also very positive!

As I'm sure many of you may have guessed by now, the change at hand is in fact a shift from a boring stand-alone game (booo!)... to a continual episodic format!

I was initially quite excited to announce this, but as many of you are no doubt aware, shortly after my last big update, Double Fine announced that they had run short on budget and would be releasing the first part of their own adventure game on Steam as an early preview. This lead to a mixed reaction, much of it quite negative. In fact, the reaction gave me pause to re-think my entire concept.

But then I realized, I'm not actually doing what they did. To paraphrase John Cleese, this is something completely different. So let me just clarify what this means.

In the case of Jack Houston, I will not be releasing only a part of my game design. The first episode will be as long as it was always intended to be at the base Kickstarter fundung goal. Rather, I am designing the game as the first episode in a larger, overarching storyline. What will be dubbed "episode one" will be a very satisfying, self contained adventure with a movie serial style structure that promises more action ahead. Just as a single episode of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones is an exciting stand-alone experience, yet develops a slow burn master story that builds over time, so will each episode of Jack Houston be a complete and satisfying adventure, with a twist ending that promises yet another wild ride around the corner.

Why have I decided to structure it is way? You probably all remember the TV show Babylon 5, but do you remember Murder One? What about Disney's Gargoyles? Know what they all had in common? They were three of the earliest shows on network television to do away with the "reset button" at the end of each episode, a tactic TV producers had been practicing for years so that syndicated shows could be re-aired in any order, even skipping episodes not purchased by the network. In the late 90's, these three shows blew the doors off old fashioned TV storytelling and popularized a continuous story format previously only seen in soap operas. Now, we can hardly imagine TV shows that don't evolve some greater story with every episode. It's nearly unheard of in modern TV drama and the basis for every seasonal epic we've become addicted to from HBO, Showtime, USA, Netflix, the BBC, etc.

I always intended to include Jack Houston in a series of space adventures, but rather than feature him in a series of disjointed stand alone games, I would much rather tell a larger, more intricate story only possible in an episodic series. Its just the nature of my writing. It also happens to be the nature of classic movie serials and a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs adventure novels, two major sources of influence for me. And I've chosen to structure the series into seasons, so that the close of each season gives you a nice resting point between story arcs.

So, with that in mind, welcome to:

Jack Houston And The Necronauts, Episode One: Land Of The Saucer Men

...Not a part of something great, but something great that leads you forward to more greatness ahead!

Jack Houston Fantastically Fun Fall FAQ!
Now let's answer some questions you haven't asked yet... but would probably like to!

With the switch to Unity, what platforms will this now be available for?

Our targeted platforms include Windows, OSX, iPad, iPhone, Android Phones, Android Tablets, Linux, Ouya and GameStick. Additional platforms may be added over time.

How many episodes will Season One be?

Jack Houston and the Necronauts is the title for season one, and there will be four episodes in this season.

Will the first release be only 1/4 of a game? Is this just a 1/4 preview?

No. As promised, episode one will be roughly the size of Space Quest 4 in number of areas and length of gameplay. It sets up a major goal that can be attained within the space of the episode, and will lead to a definite ending for this adventure. It will not abruptly end without some resolution, and the next episode will in fact have a different setting, a whole new set of supporting characters, and a new story goal altogether.

As a backer, will I have to go buy the other 3 games in this season?

No. All pre-October 2013 $15+ backer key codes give you access to the entire 4 episode season entitled "Jack Houston And The Necronauts", a $40 value. Episodes will appear on the download page as they become available.

Do I have to have/make a Humble Bundle account to get my rewards?

No. Having an account will give you a more convenient way to keep track of your purchases in the future, as it will add Jack Houston to your HB game collection where you can always return to download your rewards, but it is not required. If you choose, you can simply use your key to claim your downloads without making an account.

What if I lose my key code?

Simply return to the key re-sender page. If you have trouble, the Humble Bundle technical support is there to help you out. And of course, I will also be glad to help if you email me.

Will there be new key codes for the rest of the games?

No. The key you receive today will give you access to all downloads, current and future, associated with your Jack Houston And The Necronauts reward tier.

How will my bonus copies work?

On your rewards page, you will find any bonus codes included with your tier. These codes will give your friends access to the bonus copy tier with their own product download page on HumbleBundle.com

Is the release date still Dec 2013?

While I am still technically, relatively on schedule, I will soon be heading into the rather complex stage of character creation-yes, the stop motion part. Building and animating the puppets may go more smoothly than I thought, but I'm also conceding to the possibility of some sticky, unanticipated slow downs. I'm also looking at the switch to Unity, which may actually speed me up in some ways, but could also cause unforeseen delays.

If things are not looking hopefull by December, I will reevaluate and find a new target release date.

What I can promise you is that I will not rush the production just to get "something" out. I'm confident this game will be a gem, but only with the right amount of polish. So please bear with me, folks.

When does alpha & beta testing start?

Our first goal is to import the assets for the first game area (in this case, a set of "rooms" making up the first section of the game) into the new Unity engine and implement the logic. Once that's done and playable, we will invite our small team of Alpha testers (including high tier backers with Alpha access) to check out builds for several platforms. Note: we will be testing multiple platforms at once.

Beta will start once all the rooms are working and we're ready for more broad spectrum testing.

The New Verbcoin GUI
Here's a look at the new GUI in a 15-minute BTS video I created for VIP/Producer level backers a while back. Now that this GUI is relatively set in stone, I'd like to share it with everyone!

Cutscene VFX Sneak Peek
Here's a couple of work-in-progress shots from the cutscenes. These shots were made entirely with models and space imagery, and ZERO CGI!

That's All For Now!
Well, Dave and I have a lot of work to do, but we will give you a peek at the new Unity engine in action very soon!

In the mean time, be sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel or keep an eye on the official website to follow all the video updates, and don't forget you can join us in the forums!

I want to stress, without you folks, this whole project would just be some scribbles in my notebook. Thank you so much, every one of you, for believing in Jack Houston, and for supporting my vision of a hard boiled sci-fi adventure game epic!

Talk to you soon!

-Stacy D.

Mantic

Educated
Wow those cutscenes look awesome, I love stuff in games using models and claymation instead of CG. However as a backer I figured this project had been doomed for a while now, due to the missing 10k from the KS and the huge scope, perhaps the episodic format will help it get finished. I hope however that the episodic format doesn't mean the story isn't going to get changed to be well... episodic, I can deal with cliffhangers if the whole game when it's done is a coherent story.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Stacy is a tenacious dude - this game'll get done; he's been working hard at it. It might take some time, but he's in it to finish it. I really dig the Special FX shots he's made for it.

Bt

keppj0nes

Educated
the solution to every developer's mismanaged games: episodic format!

the art is so promising, I hope something comes out of this

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good to hear, I checked through all my backed kickstarters recently and the silence from this one had me a little worried (and his last post was about remodeling another garage ffs). Although looking at my humblebundle page I see that I have "exclusive" forum access so maybe I should have checked that out....

Now I just need an update from harvest, who went incommunicado around the same time, although their forum and twitter doesn't exactly inspire confidence. :dead:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Geez this is a lot of work. I used to build models and World War 2 Dioramas. The work that goes into work of that standard that he is producing is seriously impressive. Like seriously...the asset production on Stasis has taken the majority of the time. I could easily say that around 2.5 years of solid work has gone into assets alone...and even then I'm more than likely underselling it. And 3D is WAY faster than creating things than physical props.

If he is going to speed up production, I think that he should use a kind of hybrid system. Find a good 3D artist, and photo scan them (there are a ton of free photo scanning applications nowadays), and build the environments in 3D using that built up asset library. With a decent artist you wont be able to tell the difference between the miniature sets and the 3D generated ones - except you can mass produce and alter the 3D stuff MUCH faster - plus you can generate all your masks directly from the 3D files.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Hey everyone!
Well, it has certainly been an interesting year for the game. I now have over 40 pages of meticulously mapped out puzzle dependency charts, thanks to some generous advice from Ron Gilbert via his blog. I have a far better, tighter, more robust storyline than I did this time last year. I have almost the entire map imported into the game, using a range of plates from concept sketches to final art. I have sculptures staring at me, awaiting casting and molding. I have... wait, where are the backgrounds?

New Environments
Creating the giant miniature environments has been on the back burner this year, because quite frankly I don't have the space to do it here. Don't worry, I'm on the road to making a more permanent move where I will have all the room I need for this stuff. In the mean time, however, I have been experimenting with other ways to get some of these environments created.

A month or so ago, we had a pretty serious drought in the area, and a local lake all but dried up. This gave me an excellent opportunity to capture some very interesting, swampy images! I crawled over thorns, under branches, through bushes and braved bees and security guards to literally walk across what is usually the bottom of the lake. I felt like John Carter exploring the dead sea bottoms of Barsoom! Except heavier.

kJhFIqQoyPt8UntdDObQaYxpxXq2EunXSebKHAp_hr_9_dpu7OtF6nnRhv7YHE8a_6XxjqoZMkucoETn6NhH-iuTkfdLXYGe0KU9me8UvroBMwSAnN4Vkq5jA01robGfyDCKx-EMe_OJoPWUJkYwuVYS2-TCRFeMv5I1AYkZo1mizJAqoXPvsKsbSeiD1TObCxuWQvt3OUHKRIP3_m0g9iEKjndfAyE-jDOL1ZGOO6Y9bw-BZcXHGGM2ET7Ew7-gqCJI=s0-d-e1-ft

Using some of the nearly 32GB of photos I took, I have begun to piece together some strikingly realistic Venus swamp lands that are so much more vivid and lifelike than anything I had imagined being able to achieve with miniatures alone. This is definitely one of those cases where being forced to improvise has opened me up to even better methods.

Does this mean that I will abandon the miniature backgrounds? Absolutely not. Even here, I have been strategically placing miniature alien fungi and plant life that I photographed earlier on in my studio. It's all about finding new tools for the tool box, and environmental photography has turned out to be a powerful one!

You can watch me piece together one of these digital matte paintings in the time lapse video below!

https://youtu.be/ydBfKq-_iXU

Live Streaming
And remember to follow me on Twitch.tv, if you're into that sort of thing, so you can join me live while I work!

Please vote for AdventureJam!
So AdventureJam, the game jam I co-organized with Cassie Benter was an AMAZING success. 87 teams were formed, and of those, over 70 games were actually submitted. You can download them for free on the jam page, and there are currently14 more days of voting, so please check it out at adventurejam.org!

That's it for now, thanks for reading and I'll be back soon with more of the ever evolving creation process!

-Stacy D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom