Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
So, spark looks pretty cool, so I'm giving limited mtga a try. So far did one sealed got a terrible pool and went 4/3.
What's the least expensive way to play limited in this, how to go infinite etc?

Well, going infinite pretty much boils down to your drafting skill.
You still need to get lucky, cause there's no "true" drafting in Arena. One player will draft a bunch of bollocks,
another gets a full blown shtick that could hold its own in constructed.

For starters, you need a good constructed deck, because you need to earn shekels to fuel your ranked drafts.
Bo3 constructed gives you the best pay-offs with the least amount of games played, so I'd focus on getting gud here.

I'd wait until you have at least 10 000 so you won't get cockblocked easily, then start converting those shekels into gems.
With some luck, this will let you do more drafts, or you can blow the gems on cosmetics or whatever.

It's theoretically easier to go infinite in Traditional Constructed, because you need a slightly lower win rate and the reward structure is a lot better...
but this assumes you're pretty good in limited. Since I'm not, I'm sticking with Bo1 draft.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So, spark looks pretty cool, so I'm giving limited mtga a try. So far did one sealed got a terrible pool and went 4/3.

Least expensive way to play would be just farming gold and using it to play ranked draft. You get around 1000 free gold per day if you do the daily quest and get 4 wins.

Going infinite in limited isn't really realistic but you can get good value out of it by getting half or more of your entry fee back if you're good. So if you're purely f2p after a few months your ranked draft entry fee will seem small because once you start using gems to enter you're effectively only paying 400 gems if you have 50% win rate, and it being ranked kinda forces a 50% win rate btw.

That said gold is way better spent on packs if you have any interest in standard

Jason Liang

Arcane
Made some shitty dinosaur themed deck and I have so much more fun playing with the deck I created and improving it along the way than with some net deck. Wonder if I can make it into Mythic with it.
Make sure you have Collossal // Colossus, its a terrific spell

idk if it deviates too much from your dino theme but All-in Ghalta is supposed to be a pretty gud deck these days:

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/gruul-stompy-how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-ghalta/

Jason Liang

Arcane
Spark seems to have a lot of synergy with Dominaria.

I think I'm going back to my original love ~ Traxos!

Any thoughts?

Least expensive, ranked draft. Most viable for infinite if you're a pro limited player, traditional draft. Sealed's fine if you're wanting to build a collection for constructed, but if your only goal is to play limited then play ranked draft to convert gold into gems, then use your gems to play traditional draft which has the best chance of paying for itself/giving you extra. You'll probably have to play some constructed though if you don't want to chuck money in, just to knock out dailies for 5k piles to do drafts.

And now I see Spectre/Dawkins/Lukaszek already answered you on the next page but since I already typed this on the previous page I'm just going to type THIS rather than deleting it 'cause that's how I roll, baby.

I would rather have Planeswalkers like Ugin, Vivien Reed and Vraska instead of Izoni. Priest can accelerate those out fast.
I could see Vivien and Vraska in that, but why Ugin? His passive would do nothing, and while his uptick and downtick would both be useful (Uptick in particular since priest could sac the 2/2, giving you the card, and yeah I guess I see what you're getting at now). Kinda derailed myself thinking about it. Vraska and Vivien still might be better simply because Ugin only goes nuts if you've got a priest that's stuck to the board though. But then again his downtick can nuke shenanigans better than either of them, so eh. I was weirded out at first but you're right, Ugin probably would work in there. I was just getting too caught up in his colorless card cost reduction memes.

3. Plageucrafters are your friends. Get some.
its one of cards i just dont get... putting 2 for now
Plaguecrafter's cool 'cause you've got bouncy shit like your skellies so the downside doesn't impact you much, and it hits both creatures AND planeswalkers on the enemy. Obviously bad if your opponent's going wide, but if he's just spent all his mana dropping a fatty or it's an esper player with Teferi or something then they're cool. And if they don't have anything in play then you drop him, sac a skelly, and eat a card out of his hand. Not amazing since your opponent picks, but cards is cards. And of course since it's sacrifice then it ignores dive down and shit too.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really like rakdos midrange right now. It relies on cheap removal, but before war the removal wasn't that good, it just lined up well against the meta. But now...
f5a39379-7313-463a-9a02-e5157b9557f4.jpg

I love it, let me dreadbore people all day. This, new Ugin and lands made the deck much stronger. And new Sarkhan is just fun. Would recommend for red and midrange lovers.

Speaking of mill, been dicking around with self-mill again. Took a break from the esper-mill since I wanted to toy around with different stuff but I've still got mill on the brain 'cause that's how I roll. Got a semi-tolerable mono blue (Technically dimir since I slipped in a few dual lands just so I had the option to use the second choice on Discovery/Dispersal) deck. Semi-tolerable because esper-mill is still far more reliable since controlled milling outperforms race milling, but what the hell. Bond of Insight is good for it though expensive. The 4 card mill for 4cmc is kinda weak, but being able to pick up a couple instant/sorcery speed cards to help protect/mill your ass does provide some gas. Enhanced Surveillance is also surprisingly good because you can run the aforementioned Discovery/Dispersal and the shitty-at-first-glance Dazzling Lights which fits the deck well as an anti-bolt for 1cmc and mill 2 (Or 4 with enhanced surveillance, or 6 with drowned secrets, etc etc etc). And of course running Ashiok (Self mill for 4 each loyalty counter, and his graveyard exile triggers on opponents, not you) and the new Jace. Usually a good idea to mill like a madman until there's only 1 or 2 Jaces left in your deck, then take it carefully until you have Jace in hand just so you don't fuck yourself. As usual it's really fucking hard to live against pressure (Slimebind helps a bit, and bounce to hand spells, and of course walls of lost thoughts) so there's probably a much better way to self mill in a more controlled way (Maybe going azorious to open yourself up to some good toys) rather than racing, but eh. Felt like playing some dumb shit.

In fact I probably should try playing some actually decent shit. Gruul might be tempting just 'cause I've got a fair number of good cards for 'em anyway, and the 3 mana Domri seems like he might be a better option than the 4 mana Domri anyway. Dies easier, but gives you mana at an arguably more important point (Could give you a second red to drop a phoenix on 4 if you're colorscrewed) and his passive is relevant. Doesn't give you the card advantage of 5 mana Domri but still could give some card advantage with his downtick anyway. Krenko arguably fits gruul well too, since he's a bomb that can go crazy if left unchecked (Much like warboss) and you could even collision/colossus him before attacking for a fuckton of gobbo tokens if you feel like putting your nuts on the table and betting against your opponent having a sweeper.

Speaking of Krenko, might try playing around with him in a goblin token deck similar to that cavalcade of calamity one. Use skirks to sac gobbo tokens for mana to banefire for a ton, or quickly get out a Jaya that makes each of those goblins (And each of those cavalcade of calamity pings) do 1 more point each. Jaya's technically not a goblin but maybe she's got a goblin fetish, I dunno. Honestly I don't think those cards would really improve the deck, they'd just satisfy perverse Timmy urges and I'm just rambling about cards anyway.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's game 3, me on play, rakdos midrange vs dimir midrange. I duress t1 and his hand is enter the god eternals and 3x dreadhorde invasion. I take EGE just to see what happens.

Lost that game. Turns out the card is very good if you get to swing with the lifelink even once. With 3 copies on field you're there every two turns. I missed a crucial land drop, couldn't cast my angrath and he went back to over 15. Then he took the game with kefnet and a counter. Lowest I saw him go on upkeep was 3.
Fun card to play against.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Liliana%252C%2BDreadhorde%2BGeneral%2B%253CJapanese%253E%2B%255BWAR%255D.jpg

just found out that the art for the Japanese Liliana is by Amano. No wonder it stood out. That's just cool

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
When does ranked draft of spark war start ?

Game told me ladder reset, but it's still ranked draft allegience.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so, what are YOU guys playing for ranked? monored or anti-monored?

Yeah, don't want the online plebs to get a chance to play the game before the entire meta has been figured out by the cardboard sniffers :/
To be fair us Arena plebs did get to play with WAR before the cardboard sniffers, they just don't have ranked draft immediately at launch to try to get people to buy packs and/or do gem-only limited.

Haven't been doing much, but anti-monored in the form of this simic netdeck. Although I'm defeating the purpose of the deck a bit since I haven't got the WAR hydras (But I'm running that 4cmc legendary merfolk chick that draws you a card on enter the battlefield if a creature has a token on it and gives creatures with tokens trample, and she's solid for this), but it's still nice because if Nissa resolves you get obscene krasises.
https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/E3P8F07voi

99% been unranked fucking around though, but nothing's been all that exciting.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

I don't play ranked, because yeah the two viable decks are full aggro kill you on turn 4 or full control no win condition

When I played ranked last season I used my unmoored ego deck just to troll esper by exiling all their teferis

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom