Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview MCA Interviewed at Winterwind (Part 1 of 2)

Spazmo

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
FALLOUT IN UROP Y NOT YEA

No. It just wouldn't work. Consider what makes Fallout Fallout--the wreckage of Americana, the super mutants, the ghouls, the power armour, FEV, West-Tek, deathclaws, radscorpions, etc. Does any of this exist in Europe? Nope. It's a whole different continent. There aren't any super mutants because there's no FEV. There's no power armour since that was a uniquely American invention. There's no deathclaws or radscorpions because the base animals they're mutated from don't exist in Europe. Fallout in Europe just would not be Fallout. It'd be something completely different. That doesn't mean it'd be bad (like Ausir said, a post-apoc commie RPG would be pretty cool), but it wouldn't have anything to do with Fallout, so what's the point of calling it Fallout?

Anonymous

Fallout in Europe would just be generic Post-Apocalypse stuff, so yeah, no reason to call it Fallout (like the same deal with Fallout 3).

4too

Arcane
Viva La Differance'

Viva La Differance'

Spazmo:
... Fallout in Europe just would not be Fallout. It'd be something completely different. ...

Perhaps, this is the "fresh canvas" that all the "post- - -impressionists" could channel their moral superiority into a "rendering" of the FO Universe.

No FEV, no Super Muties,no Deathclaws, no Radscorpions, maybe a Vault-Tec subsidiary building castles for the elite.

Might be minimalist in the better know critters and plot devices. Might exploit '50's icons from Europe that are cognate to a world wide game market,

What is the genus species, the history, of the MICHELAN MAN?

Pop references to Asterrix and Tin Tin?

As long as the framing is recognisably FO in "physics",, the war-ing rabble/rubble of nations sliding back into " dark ages -- nouve", maybe not 'cyber', maybe sci-fi-gothic in a vacuum tube:
Energy straved first -- so forced earlier to 'alternatives' , and doubtfully capable of playing technilogical catch up after a point, Fusion Cells and Power Armour never got beyond prototypes, or big and bulbous Soviet knock offs.

Might play like the first and middle struggles in FO1+2 in arms and armour, until the artistic genius' whip out their unique plot progressions, or Deus Ex Machinas ... and shake 'em in our faces, and prove how SPECIAL they are.

But then if it's REALLY good, why hold it back, limit it's own marketing, identity, potential by seeking a FO Franchise... why maximise those fries ... be the Unique Boutique ....

4too

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I shall repeat the question that was asked many times before:

Why call it a Fallout game then?

What would be the point? You want fresh canvas, artistic creativity, no restrictions? Fine, great, fantastic. Start from scratch.

Voss

Erudite
Might exploit '50's icons from Europe that are cognate to a world wide game market

therein lies the real problem. Americana has pretty much dominated the cultural imperialism of the second half of the 20th century. While Europeans would get a lot of the references, the rest of the world wouldn't. Particularly in the US market, where the average consumer has the global awareness of a piece of cabbage. And the historical awareness of a festering rat carcass.

4too

Arcane
OOPssss

OOPssss

Vault Dweller:
Why call it a Fallout game then?

My last edit above inserted that sentient sentiment.

Need to get out and about, rushed the finish.

Thanks for the close support.

4too

4too

Arcane
Lemonade

Lemonade

Voss:
.. the cultural imperialism ...

So if the dominate culural event of the second half of the 20th Century is this cultural imperialism visited upon the birthplace of WESTERN (European) imperialism. why not "ping" off that?

If it's a "lemon" of a situation. then make lemonade ....

4too

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
suibhne said:
Exitium said:
4too > you, Patrick.

This is fact.

(delurk)

See, this just freaks me out. Patrick is my name.

Now I see the truth - but you'll rue the day. I have enough ammo to take down every last one of you.

(/delurk)

Hey, wait a minute. Patrick is MY name. What the hell is going on here?

Anonymous

They call me Patrick, since it is also my name, and in the #fallout and #rpgcodex chat rooms I am PatrickTheLlamaGod.

Hello, Patrick and Patrick.

Sammael

Liturgist
Voss said:
Particularly in the US market, where the average consumer has the global awareness of a piece of cabbage. And the historical awareness of a festering rat carcass.

This is sig-worthy.

Anonymous

lol who caers newayz lol no wat i mean lol is juss want 2 paly teh gaem n NOT GO 2 SCHOL U FCUKERS

Rosh

Erudite
leombruno said:
Exitium what would be the point of digging in? Filling pages with reply/quote bickering, why bother.

You should have thought of that before you posted your initial load of binary brain shit.

I made a suggestion which happened to be met with flying feces, so at that point I consider it a dead issue.

Would you care to read the thread again, or are you trying for "double stupid"? You are making quite a good effort, don't let me stop you now.

I also don't really see the point to entertaining ill will toward internet personallities.

I generally don't consider anything as devoid of rational thought as you've posted to be worth posting in the first place. If there's no basis to what someone has posted, then you'll be called on it.

So, you believe that there's no point for a background to be adhered to. Or, that is what you're trying to say now.

However, you initially did not post that as opinion, you posted it as fact, which is what got your feeble brain's droppings called on. Nice try, but as you can see, I'm a bit more wise to the ways of discussion and can detect your bullshit a mile away. The reason why I may be a little vitriolic in this is because you've been humping on the leg of the same vacuous straw man argument, repeatedly and still without any basis. You might want to notice for yourself that you had started the mudslinging, but perhaps you were too far into a crack buzz to notice what you were sodomizing your keyboard with.

As far as the importance placed on continuety I wanted to lessen it as I regard it as a minor aspect of the game compared to what FO really excelled at in my opinion. My take on a Fallout 3 is a preference for independance, probably preferably accheived by geographic separation on a concurrent or inbetween timeline of the previous games. To say continuity was nothing was over agressive but certainly is secondary to other aspects that actually effect or enhance the actual RPG aspects of the game, such as maintianing and respecting internally consistant characters the players can great to the widest degree possible.

No, yet again you point out that you lack any comprehension of what makes up one of the core points of CRPG design - story and event interaction. If the world isn't kept to what was put down before, then it isn't going to be looked on as favorably. I don't care what you believe in your own little world, but that's the truth of the matter. If you don't like it, bitch about it some more, but you're seriously becoming nothing more than a minor waste of time and bandwidth. This isn't a matter of "opinions", it is more a matter that you've made a completely ignorant and bullshit desire of yours known on this forum and now you're just regarded as a source of more potentially amusing idiocy.

Keep up the good work.

Rosh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
mr. lamat said:
hiding from gaider... he'd sit on me if he knew.

Surely you can outrun him.

Lead him to a place with many doors. His brain will crash because of the "exponentially more work" he'd have to do to keep up. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom