Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
60 Million dollars were for buying flowers to Stefanie.

A lofty goal in fact.

I'll take Masahiro Ikariko (MG2, Snatcher, Gradius 2) and Tappi Iwase (MGS Theme, Contra III) over Harry-Gregson and all the new composers bar Norihiko Hibino every single time.

As for MGS5, modders could still fix refine the gameplay, right?

Seeing the Metal Gear 2 opening for the first time was a fucking revelation. That BGM is so kickass too.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I remember when I played MGS2 for the first time.

All was: That Snake, That ship, that gameplay, that cinematics, that music. Then the Big shell part started.

Deleted member 7219

This game is brilliant. Right now I'm just enjoying the side ops. Revisiting old places means I can collect the resources I need to improve my base without running around the map randomly. The main missions I've played all seem to be stealthable and don't force combat, which is nice. Hope that continues for the majority of them.

I can't think of a single reason why this game would not be better with a fixed mission structure without the open world wankery.

Imagine if instead of being dropped off straight in the base in MGS1 you had to wank around for 10 minutes to find the place.

The missions themselves are fun and the gameplay is probably the best mechanically it's ever been, but goddamn this meandering bullshit makes zero sense.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The multiplayer balance is fubar. Been trying to invade peoples FOB, but it's so damn unfair I have to wonder if they even played this shit before releasing it. You just have to upgrade your security a few levels and you have basically created a impregnable WW2 nazi-fortress with high tech security. That is not the only thing, you will have to face down the enemy player as well - who can re-spawn if dying (you can't). If he is equipped with a shotgun I hope the gods will be merciful on your soul. It's so broken I don't know if to cry or laugh. On to top it off, you gain absolutely nothing if you capture the command center, but the GMP losses are staggering if you fail.

All this could of course just be that I suck at the game, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is supposed to a lucrative thing to do to gain more resources.

Caim

Arcane
Shotgun is horribly overpowered in MGO you say?

Looks like they imported that straight from MGO 1 it seems.

Canus

Savant
The multiplayer balance is fubar. Been trying to invade peoples FOB, but it's so damn unfair I have to wonder if they even played this shit before releasing it. You just have to upgrade your security a few levels and you have basically created a impregnable WW2 nazi-fortress with high tech security. That is not the only thing, you will have to face down the enemy player as well - who can re-spawn if dying (you can't). If he is equipped with a shotgun I hope the gods will be merciful on your soul. It's so broken I don't know if to cry or laugh. On to top it off, you gain absolutely nothing if you capture the command center, but the GMP losses are staggering if you fail.

All this could of course just be that I suck at the game, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is supposed to a lucrative thing to do to gain more resources.

Is the idea there not to land on his base building strut and steal all of his materials after just sniping off all his guards?

In other news the game has been cracked and is up on the torrent sites. If anyone is thinking of picking it up it seems to be stable, although I'm getting two really weird glitches, possible due to the crack.
1 - I can't open doors unless I have a gun out or I'm carrying a body.
2 - There are several missions where I'll spawn in on the helicopter, but the helicopter will be gone/invisible, I can hear the noise the helicopter makes when it's about to get shot down, and Boss just hangs in the air. I had a variant of it in Mother Base where the helicopter came in to set me down on fire and exploded as soon as I got off it. Once that happens you can't call another helicopter and it's time to restart the mission.

They seem to just be me though, so yeah.

DrowningHarvey

Scholar
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The bonuses from GZ save transfer are:

100% clear = MGS1 Solid Snake player model
Any save = R&D can develop GZ sneaking suit and golden bionic arm
Any prisoners extracted = Special volunteers show up at Mother Base, none of them of particular note (few of them have an A grade category) EXCEPT...
Clear Extract Intel Operative = Hideo Kojima volunteer for Mother Base (S Rank, has A+ in R&D and S in Intel)

Deja Vu mission completed in GZ on normal gives Solid Snake model in Phantom Pain. No 100% clear needed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No. His name is in the beginning and ending credits of every single episode.
Sure, it is still his game, but removing his name from every MGS boxshot ever is still fishy as hell. There is something behind that.

I love Kojimbo as much as the next guy, but barring some ridiculous 9/11 update, we need to accept that he legitimately fucked up the budget and time management on this title. I'm sure Konami didn't help, but the guy had at least 80 million dollars and 4 years to make the game.
He overstretched MGS4 as well, but here is a thing. His game are highly profitable for Konami. Mismanaging time and budget is fuckup from Kojima's part, no argument here, but this guy is printing money. If I were Konami, I would have let him make his perfect game, just to reek in a few more millions in sale.

On the other hand, you guys know that devs who mismanage projects are my weak point.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Wank during 10 minutes through the snow to find the heliport avoiding genoma soldiers in Shadow moses? Smells like incline to me.:smug:

Malpercio

Arcane
That's pretty gay, but still in line with the tone of the series.

Well, yeah.

EpAKp8M.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom