Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is just a plain bad game

Replicant

Novice
Things I like:

-Exploration
-Loads of quests, many factions
-Massive lore (try reading all the in-game books)
-Replay Value - as a matter of fact, I still play my über-assassin

Things I don't like:

-No horses :(
-Too damn hard to play as a werewolf (Bloodmoon expansion)
-Walk speed in the PC version. Somehow, it doesn't look as slow in the Xbox.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No, I'm not. In practice, they are not two completely independent concepts though:
Obviously. But it doesn't mean execution should blind you to design. Case in point:
As for Rise of the Dragon, I guess the execution did not age poorly according to you
It did, horribly so, probably even moreso than Morrowind. But I don't care. The design itself, as well as other things about the game, are good enough to make the execution's aging completely irrelevant to my enjoyment.

I'll pick an even more striking personal example. First time I played The Dig was many many years after its release. The pixellated graphics were sometimes painful to look at. Not because I thought the graphics were ugly, but because I could imagine just how glorious they would be in high-res, considering the design was superb. Did I wish they were high-res? hell yes. Did that unfulfilled wish detract from my enjoyment of the game? not really, though it did detract from my enjoyment of the visuals, for obvious reasons. Do I think the game has aged and become unplayable as a result? hell no.

Rpgsaurus Rex

To me, the high point of the game came about halfway through when I discovered that I had the Corpus disease (having previously heard about it a lot, it being incurable and all), then having to travel across the whole world to find Corpusarium filled with these creepy creatures and the ancient Dwarf with spider legs to try to find a cure.

It was just a fun game for me. The music, the graphics, the wonderful, eerie feel of Vvanderfell (not sure how to spell it). You could take two steps off the main road, and BAM a dungeon! Exploration 9/10 score, with Gothic 2 NotR being 10/10 for comparison. The combat was the weakest point, obviously, but the overall grandeur of the whole adventure it kinda kept it fun.

Then again, back in the day when I played it my good friend (a way more hardcore gamer than I am) said playing Morrowind made him fall asleep in 5 minutes. And I would probably die of boredom if I tried to replay it today...

You're all misinterpreting my point though. I believe, one of the major reasons why morrowind was such a success and was a well loved game, was that it had good graphics and the athmosphere of the semi-surreal landscape with twisted trees and giant mushroom that came along with it (hakuroshi disputes that it had good graphics at release, so I might remember wrongly). That reason does not exist anymore, as today it looks like bland shit.

The textures in Morrowind were always terrible. The faces in Morrowind were always ugly. The character models, the animations, the particle effects. None of these things were ever impressive, and in fact were inferior to many games older than Morrowind. Just look at a game like Sacrifice, which was made 2 years before Morrowind.

Citation needed.

No, I'm not. In practice, they are not two completely independent concepts though:

The ideas of graphics design never age, but the execution might. Due to the always finite amount of operations a computer can do, there must always be made comprimises in the execution of a design idea. As for Rise of the Dragon, I guess the execution did not age poorly according to you, most likely due to its choice of cartoon graphics, while morrowind opted for a more photorealistic look (for its time). For me, it is much more exciting to see the twisted trees in the witcher 2 then the twisted landscape in morrowind which stands alone with low polygon count and ugly low-res textures. Witcher 2 is a beautiful game today, as much due to its state of the art use of modern tech, as its design. It's actually a really good marriage of both: Though I can imagine that the witcher 2 might eventually age poorly too.

So a game that is barely 1 year old is a beautiful game today, whilst a game which is now 10 years old, doesn't look as good as the 1 year old game, and this is "as much due to its state of the art use of its modern tech, as its design", although it "might eventually age poorly too". So a game with good art direction and new technology looks better than a game with good art direction and older technology?

What the fuck are you trying to say? How old are you?

LoPan

Learned
Look at any list of games released in 2002 and you'll find games graphically and aesthetically far above Morrowind. When it came out, Morrowind would've still looked poorly in the 3D era of 1998-1999 which was the time of games like the first Homeworld, Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid. The 'looked good for its time' argument doesn't have the historical basis it applies. If Morrowind did anything impressive for its time it might've been the open world game, but this is arguable since GTA3 came out in 2001.

LoPan

Learned
After glancing at the posts I. This thread I'd like to point out a few small things. Firstly, as to the early thieves guild quest requiring you to steal a key, I managed to pick it from the pocket of the servant at a relatively low level. Getting the key as an imperial using charm was mentioned but it would be just as valid to raise charism/speech through a combination of alchemical and magical means including alcohol, scrolls, custom potions, enchanted items and of course the simplest of options bug musk.

Secondly, in response to a comment about custom spells (specifically calm) and their limited range of useful effect vs pointless to ever enchant with effects it should be noted that a weapon enchanted with calm kept any enemy from fighting back as they would be calmed with each new strike and, if memory serves, it was in fact more cost effective than paralyze.

The purpose here isn't to nitpick any small issue but to point out that experimentation often yielded interesting and very useful results in morrowind and that the game did in fact have a wide range of possible solutions, as unapparant as they often were. It's impossible to argue that simply stacking damage on everything and only selling to creeper wasn't easiest way to play or that many quests only boiled down to combat or speech but even many of those could benefit from a stealth approach or magic assistance. You don't have to charge in dedric daikatana swinging and kill everything moving, it's just the easiest and most apparent way to solve problems.

What I found when messing around with spell combinations was just that, either you run into something overpowered or you make something less effective than that. I appreciate that it was in there, its good fun, but it doesn't take long before you find a way to break the game and after that you feel rather silly dumbing down your powers to make the tedious combat take longer.

I know the thread has somewhat moved on but I feel I must clear up the Imperial-thieves-guild quest business. I may have had a run of bad luck, but I spent close to an hour, at least it felt close to an hour, save scumming my way along the disposition bar. I never got it high enough and eventually remembered the Imperials had that charming ability. I tried pickpocketing Sovor but with no success, I didn't think of it when I wrote out the event before and looked it up now, but Imperials are one of the races with the lowest initial Agility, and they obviously don't have any bonuses to sneaking. If I played a more obvious fit for the skill-base of the thieves guild, such as a Bosmer or Khajiit, a Dark Elf or Argonian may even have been enough, I may have had no problems with it, and so it turns out the example I supplied is insufficient for bringing my point across, no wonder people got somewhat hung up on it; can't expect people to argue the point when the lead-up is dubious. Though I expect no one can argue that the persuasion system is fairly atrocious itself.

In Morrowind I am not so much bothered about C&C and alternate ways to solve quests as I am about the RPG system and its unusual form of leveling not being properly used within, specifically, the faction quests. The Faction quests make up most of the game, and though three of them (House Redoran, Imperial Legion, Fighters Guild) are concerned with fighting, even these do not provide that focus. From my, admittedly incomplete, experience with the factions, there is not much difference between them as regards quest structure or purpose. Say what you will of Oblivion and its many failings, at least their Guilds' quests fit the seeming use of the guild, mostly.

The reason I keep grumbling about Morrowind whenever it is brought up is because it keeps getting praise for things it did not do well. Some people like it, some people really like finding dungeons they were not quest-marked into walking to, some people enjoy the power fantasy, and for reasons beyond my understanding some people like the story and the lore. Some people even like the aesthetics. Greater games have been made, and what Morrowind tries to do other games have done better before its time; it is likely I have simply played too many games.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
AnRWR.jpg

Morrowind in nutshell
This is one of the strengths of Skyrim over Morrowind. There are no loopholes or arbitrage opportunities.

Even with maximum possible Mercantile skill, you can never get a zero break-even margin between you and the shopkeeper, let alone make any risk-free profit.

Even if you purchase from a shopkeeper a Banish-enchanted weapon, Grand Soul Gems (Filled), Iron Ingots, Leather Strips, and create several Banish-enchanted daggers and then sold them back to the shopkeeper, you would barely break even with the highest Mercantile possible. If you sold to a woman shopkeeper, you may make a very small profit.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AnRWR.jpg

Morrowind in nutshell
This is one of the strengths of Skyrim over Morrowind. There are no loopholes or arbitrage opportunities.

Even with maximum possible Mercantile skill, you can never get a zero break-even margin between you and the shopkeeper, let alone make any risk-free profit.

Even if you purchase from a shopkeeper a Banish-enchanted weapon, Grand Soul Gems (Filled), Iron Ingots, Leather Strips, and create several Banish-enchanted daggers and then sold them back to the shopkeeper, you would barely break even with the highest Mercantile possible. If you sold to a woman shopkeeper, you may make a very small profit.

The thing is that Skyrim is so stripped of everything in comparison of any other TES game so its expected to be a bit more polished. While its true that you can exploit lots of things in Morrowind to me its the proof of the games freedom and complexity. Bethesda policy is if somethings broken remove it, instead of fixing it. I miss things like spell making, levitation, bunch of skills such as medium armor and ability of messing up my game. Things like more focused gameplay, random generated quests and unkillable npc-s are really not my idea of progress.

aris

Arcane
So a game that is barely 1 year old is a beautiful game today, whilst a game which is now 10 years old, doesn't look as good as the 1 year old game, and this is "as much due to its state of the art use of its modern tech, as its design", although it "might eventually age poorly too". So a game with good art direction and new technology looks better than a game with good art direction and older technology?

What the fuck are you trying to say? How old are you?
Can you rewrite that question, so that it forms a coherent sentence that makes sense? Because I have absolutely no idea what you are asking me. You are also quoting me out of context.
I'll pick an even more striking personal example. First time I played The Dig was many many years after its release. The pixellated graphics were sometimes painful to look at. Not because I thought the graphics were ugly, but because I could imagine just how glorious they would be in high-res, considering the design was superb. Did I wish they were high-res? hell yes. Did that unfulfilled wish detract from my enjoyment of the game? not really, though it did detract from my enjoyment of the visuals, for obvious reasons. Do I think the game has aged and become unplayable as a result? hell no.
Point well taken. Though I never said that morrowind is unplayable due to the graphics, nor (as I have pointed out) was I speaking for myself, rather I speculate on behalf of those who enjoyed the game when it came out. I did say that it might be a detractor from the enjoyment of the game though, and which adds to morrowind not bein, in my opinion, a very good game, which I stand by.

visions

Arcane
Look at any list of games released in 2002 and you'll find games graphically and aesthetically far above Morrowind. When it came out, Morrowind would've still looked poorly in the 3D era of 1998-1999 which was the time of games like the first Homeworld, Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid. The 'looked good for its time' argument doesn't have the historical basis it applies. If Morrowind did anything impressive for its time it might've been the open world game, but this is arguable since GTA3 came out in 2001.

IIRC, the environment was considered as looking very good for an rpg (the character models weren't considered good even then though, with this I agree). Of course this overall sentiment was misguided and the IE games for instance look better in retrospect, but due to the fact it was 3d it was seen as less outdated. I still remember an old review of IWD2 criticizing it for "outdated" graphics in comparison to the then-recent 3d games like NWN and Morrowind.

Also, GTA 3 is not open world, you have to progress in story to unlock new parts of the city, plus the city is not nearly as fleshed out as the world in Morrowind. Then again, rpgs have been often open world since way before Morrowind, the fact that it was open world wasn't anything novel in itself, the detail to which extent a large open world was fleshed out in 3d, was novel.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
yeah, removal of spell crafting and all the niche yet useful spell types pissed me off

back when morrowind came out (2003?) i thought it was a great looking game. i cant help but feel that everything in morrowind was just much cooler than in oblivion. dark elves in morrowind were gruff and xenophobic but in oblivion they were just so faggy. morrowind is still my favourite area-wise - the landscape was way better and more diverse than oblivion's green green and more green, the armour didnt make me feel embarassed to wear it, the characters were better (as mentioned, baladas, divayth fyr, even the dagoth family were better than blockheads likem mannimarco and that one high elf evil dude.)

the mod community really made a difference though

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Morrowind in nutshell

I thought this at first, but...

fortofy-smithing-potion_528_poster.jpg

fortify-enchanting_528_poster.jpg

damage_528_poster.jpg
But one is unlikely to sell anything for 59,000 gold when no shopkeeper will have more than 10,000 gold.

Besides, if you managed to raise your Alchemy to 89 or 90, that must mean you expended monstrous effort on that endeavour. The time, the effort, and most of all, the in-game money required would be a lot. If the intention was to power level alchemy until you can sell items for so much, then it would have been easier and less costlier to cheat.

As it is, one can acknowledge that Skyrim can get broken after Level 40 or so. But what time does it take to get to Level 40 in a first time playthrough?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind in nutshell

But one is unlikely to sell anything for 59,000 gold when no shopkeeper will have more than 10,000 gold.

Besides, if you managed to raise your Alchemy to 89 or 90, that must mean you expended monstrous effort on that endeavour. The time, the effort, and most of all, the in-game money required would be a lot. If the intention was to power level alchemy until you can sell items for so much, then it would have been easier and less costlier to cheat.

As it is, one can acknowledge that Skyrim can get broken after Level 40 or so. But what time does it take to get to Level 40 in a first time playthrough?

I don't think selling is the point here. Look at the damage value that character does. And look at the percentage of the skills being raised by the potions.

Who need to sell this shit for money if this shit makes him into an übermensch? It's the ridiculously high item and/or potion stats, that were already an exploit in Morrowind (fortify alchemy; fortify INT; make super potions of +9999999999999 of anything you desire).

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
money in skyrim is meaningless anyway, since you can train skills a maximum of 5 times per level.

and shops barely carry any magic items that are worth it.

LoPan

Learned
It's all too easy to show Bethany your pooper as regards the de-evolution of its RPG system throughout the series. I'm a fan of the activity myself, but when I think of it I am not sure how the system could have been amended, considering the game worlds the more ambitious TES games, Morrowind and Daggerfall, took place in. As far as I've gathered--would never try them myself--even the mods for Morrowind which overhauled the RPG system remained inadequate.

In Oblivion they included the Skeleton Key, available at the low level of 10, which rendered impotent an entire skill in the already numerically limited set. Considering that nearly anything that had to do with magic, alchemy or enchant was ruthlessly unbalanced in Morrowind, there was no good reason to use anything other than long swords (maybe short swords to more quickly apply more enchant damages, or spears to unflatteringly exploit the terrain) and that Medium Armor was a joke until one of the expansions came along and made it into the greatest armor type in the game, not sure why anyone ever expected Bethany to do anything but continue its long-standing reign as an infamous flailer; has Bethany ever proved they had any idea what they were doing? I'm not sure myself if their games were ever ambitious or just came from a child-like ignorance of reality and the limits of tech, time and the capacity and management of the hired abilities.

DraQ

Arcane
I wonder what that is.

People who fancy Morrowind usually have several personal stories they fondly recollect, like people usually do from roguelikes or P&P games.
The thing is that despite it's brokenness Morrowind is flexible.

Apart from any enjoyment you may derive from lore, exploration and atmosphere it's either you embracing this flexibility and playing with it, or (ab)using the glitches, broken stuff and metagame to cut straight through it without even noticing.

In case of the former you will have fun, if it's the later - you won't.

Turn off your exploitative thinking, you won't need it in this game (apart from maybe fine-tuning custom spells). Don't grind, don't camp at traders, don't make a beeline for powerful artefacts based on wiki/previous experience, don't do training binges, etc.

Come up with a character idea along with accompanying gameplay style, create this character and roll with it.

I feel I have the same from Baldur's Gate; you can get two non-evil characters and two evil characters early on and if you wait for too long before going to Nashkel they begin to quarrel and eventually come to blows. It was not a unique event, but since my knowledge of Bioware games came from NWN and KOTOR before Baldur's Gate I did not see it coming and my reaction to the event remains incredibly memorable to me.
Yeah, that was a really good thing in BG. Unfortunately about the only good thing.

However, as much as I have played Morrowind I can't recall any interesting things happening. Just couldn't shake how empty the world felt and how poor the RPG system was, and the incessant running around, nothing made the world feel emptier than going outside the cities
Don't be impatient, don't expect instant gratification. Try to get into your exploration mood, notice small details, make speculations. Don't expect legendary unique locations and items to be behind every corner - they are in this game, but finding them takes some effort, time and ingenuity - it's more fun than if the game was saturated with them, if everything is interesting, nothing is, if everything is epic, nothing is and so on.

For starters:

You read a book mentioning funeral of powerful sorcerer from forgotten era - do you think you can actually find his tomb in-game? Are there any clues?

You see something faintly resembling a remains of a road underwater - does it lead anywhere? Where?

You heard a woman prattling about her drunken relative allegedly seeing a city underwater - what did he see and where?

You meet an old Nord in the tavern - buy him a drink.

You are in a dungeon you think you have explored thoroughly - have you? What about under that cask? How about that ledge above you? Is it there only for the looks? Are those mummified corpses mere decoration? Don't people tend to bury their dead with riches?

And so on.

they are pandering skinner box worlds generating a false sense of achievement
How so?
Powergaming Morrowind is hollow and unrewarding.
It doesn't have diablo-like loot game either.
Nor does it have the awesome button.

You are not expected to pull the lever over and over again, for epic rewards, quite the contrary - you have to play this game your own style, while focusing on the game itself and its world, not the dispensed awesome.

I would say the problem isn't Morrowind being Skinner box - it's you treating it as if it was, then claiming it's a very shitty skinner box, because you pump the lever like a pro and get showered with turds instead of morsels.

You won't get much from Morrowind if you don't even stay for breakfast.

like Minecraft or an MMO.
Most MMOs are skinner boxes, but how is Minecraft one? It's an open sandbox game, not a Diablo II clone.

Largely, the quest design of Morrowind was detrimental to its RPG system. If you hit a rough patch and have to detour about to get stronger before tackling the next quest that is quite fine.
Lvl1 character has its major skills in 30-50 range - between one third and half way towards perfection. Isn't that more than adequate for a complete n00b?

(Also, MCP is a necessity in Morrowind, pickpocket, for example, is broken in the base game.)

Morrowind gives you a bunch of information but no story, there is a story but it is merely a cold exposition of transpiring events. Emotions, desires and motivations take no part. Morrowind lacks a narrative, a commonplace issue with video game storytelling
And why *should* a wide-open sandbox have a pre-set narrative?

Morrowind makes almost no assumptions and doesn't try to shoehorn your character into situations where they may not fit (unlike, say, Oblivious). The only assumptions are - you were incarcerated (rightfully or not - this makes a nice common point for pretty much all character backgrounds you may come up with) and you are not a native (even if you are a Dunmer you haven't grown up or lived in Morrowind - this helps unify player and character cluelessness). That's it.

What happened to the rest of Morrowind then? Since Morrowind makes up a fairly large part of mainland Tamriel it seems odd they'd all make their way to Skyrim, it may be close but a point is made in Skyrim of the dark elves being generally disliked. Cyrodil is about as close and probably easier to get to. Maybe they are disliked all over, I wouldn't know, racism is everywhere and nowhere in TES games.
Vvardenfell got nuked by The Ministry of Truth, as prophesied in 36 Lessons of Vivec triggering Red Mountain going Krakatoa and fucking up mainland Morrowind, then Argonians invaded from the south determined to spear as many smokeskins as they could through the sack as a "thank you" for centuries of slave raids and other neighbourly unpleasantries.

Of course, it's also an unbalanced mess with most characters being "mighty gods of all trades" in late game, banalizing most problem-solving situations... I guess I forgave that because the gameworld is an interesting place to explore.
Also there is this issue that it takes almost seventy levels to max everything out, and you are likely to retire your character long before that happens.

You can outrun an enemy with superior Speed, but how often did this happen?
If you have this superior speed it can happen all the time.

If you are a spear user with light gear and focus on mobility you will even use it all the time *in combat*.

You can disable with a custom spell, but what kind of disable? To add 'custom spell' is itself a flattering addition, since a custom spell was still drawn from the list of normal spells and only very few custom combinations were useful. There were of course several disables, Silence could be called a disable, so could Paralyze, but what about Calm, Sound, Demoralize, Command or Frenzy? You can disable with a custom spell, but how often did you, and under what circumstance? The schools the disabling and debuffing spells belong to could be integrated into most set of skills, but in the end you are doing the same thing with each type: making an enemy not fight you for a certain period of time.
In the right circumstances you can even disable with stuff like waterwalk.

As for custom combinations, drain willpower and silence/paralysis is powerful, damage strength (preceded with weakness to magicka for more economy) roots melee attackers in place, damage intelligence disables casters, right combination of drain fatigue, strength, willpower, endurance and agility will semi-permanently disable pretty much everything - it's also good for magic assisted muggings.

You need an Acrobatics of above 60 for it to start being useful, and even then, how often was it used during quests? In the wild it had the same function of high Speed and Athletics, it shaved time off of running around.
Acrobatics helps navigate difficult terrain and gives humongous advantage in combat in such terrain, especially for spear users.

You never stealth your way to safety
Why not? If you have high enough sneak, you can use it even in combat and to various ends. While travelling you can use it to not be bothered by wildlife.In dungeons you can bypass enemies who don't have anything worthwhile or set yourself up for a crit.

Again, you're playing the game in mindless "take DDK and kill everything" manner, then accuse it of not giving you opportunities.

The three scripted solutions, apparently we are now depending on scripted solutions like Morrowind was not supposed to (according to you yourself), are poorly done and implemented.
*One* scripted solution - the one involving dialogue, and even it relies on generic persuasion system and bribes, rather than scripted one shot interaction.

The rest is in no way specified via scripting, the game merely checks for whether you have the key you can give to Habasi and then checks if Ondres or Sovor have been killed when evaluating response.

If you want you can pickpocket the key off either of two Dunmer, kill them for it in any way you desire, including commanding them out and drowning in the river, or knock them out physically OR magically and then pickpocket the key unmolested (you will have to calm them while knocked out if you don't have MCP, as mugging got broken in one of the patches).

Game doesn't care *how* you obtain the key, only if you have it and if the NPCs in question are alive when you hand it over - you get Habasi won't be as happy if you kill Sovor and will be very displeased if you kill Ondres.

Only one of them has a consequence: killing Ondres results in Habasi getting uppity, but all she does is give you lip and then nothing happens. The quest reward you loose is negligible and the quest line continues as if nothing happened, Habasi getting temporarily uppity can not count as a consequence.
So what should happen? Ministry of Truth should fall on your head or maybe the whole questline should terminate?

Bribing and taunting both require the speecraft skill and are countered by the targets speechcraft skill (I think, not sure anyone knows for certain). Sovor prides himself in his speechraft, he is even a trainer. I tried taunting and bribing with my 85 personality Imperial and it was as hard as admiring
Personality is one thing but how high was your Speechcraft?

You know, if you're a warrior, without thieving skills, nor diplomacy, then maybe you shouldn't actually be in TG?

and killing Sovor outright, without taunting, is not possible at that level due to the bar patrons joining in.
Well, when I was playing a wizard I silently nuked the entire council club with spells designed just for this occasion (not that they didn't come in handy in generic circumstances later on, but they were optimized for silently nuking the council club) after doing some recon there (that was for bad people quest, but I did get the key while looting the bodies), because I decided that CT allied barman was an acceptable collateral damage.

I've read of some guy just leading Sovor outside and drowning him in the river using command spell* - alternatively you could just fight or KO him away from the city and take the key.

Another option would be frenzying Sovor if you're an illusionist.

Opportunities are there, you just don't know how to use it.

*) Actually, I think he drowned the blacksmith for yet another quest, but the principle is the same.

Secondly, in response to a comment about custom spells (specifically calm) and their limited range of useful effect vs pointless to ever enchant with effects it should be noted that a weapon enchanted with calm kept any enemy from fighting back as they would be calmed with each new strike and, if memory serves, it was in fact more cost effective than paralyze.

There were many interesting effect combinations, both for enchants and spellcasting. Heavy weapon (hammer or battleaxe) enchanted with drain agility was awesome because of its knockdown potential, weapon with bound weapon on strike could be cheap and lightweight equivalent to getting daedric gear, AoE dispel might be nice against summoners.

For spellcasting I intend to test some summon + AoE debuff + small AoE shielding for those summons to make them rape everything in their path, summons + AoE absorb attribute can be much better than straight fortify attribute, then you have stuff like semipermanent KO and other shenanigans.

The purpose here isn't to nitpick any small issue but to point out that experimentation often yielded interesting and very useful results in morrowind and that the game did in fact have a wide range of possible solutions, as unapparant as they often were. It's impossible to argue that simply stacking damage on everything and only selling to creeper wasn't easiest way to play or that many quests only boiled down to combat or speech but even many of those could benefit from a stealth approach or magic assistance. You don't have to charge in dedric daikatana swinging and kill everything moving, it's just the easiest and most apparent way to solve problems.
This.

In Skyrim was once dueled by Mage, stroke him by my sword and He yelled You Cheat! Wanted to say I know go whine to Howard you cunt.
Isn't such reaction actually quite neat?

levitation
It would be easy to fix in Skyrim - just make it master level (dual cast only) concentration spell (meaning you need to keep casting to stay aloft). Problem? Soleved.

In MW I'd just make it work like invisibility - any potentially hostile action dispels it. Result? No more bombers.

bunch of skills such as medium armor and ability of messing up my game.
Actually I'd cut all the armour skills and give armour types advantages and disadvantages impacting certain playstyles more (for example if you are focused on avoidance and acrobatics you don't want heavy armour, even though it's most protective).

Considering that nearly anything that had to do with magic, alchemy or enchant was ruthlessly unbalanced in Morrowind, there was no good reason to use anything other than long swords (maybe short swords to more quickly apply more enchant damages, or spears to unflatteringly exploit the terrain)
Or blunt weapons because they have a lot of variety, many artifacts and you can exploit weight of heavy hammers to knock enemies down. Or axes to deliver damage in nice 80HP chunks with DBA (+enchants) - oops, we've just ran out of weapon types.

And magic is really nice as long as you avoid obvious exploits, such as soultrap glitch or drain intelligence on self glitch.

Can it be overpowered? Perhaps, but you won't tell me that charging in with DDK and maxed out long blade is terribly challenging, especially if you have read one of over 9000 available internet guides and enchanted this DDK with absorb health. With magic at least you have to work around reflection and resistances.

and that Medium Armor was a joke
Well, yeah, but at low levels medium armour has a lot of nice sets and if you're in the Temple you can get godlike Ebony Mail later on.

And Beth was definitely ambitious once, look at Daggerfall, or stuff like trying to automate NPC reactions via reputation system in DF and MW.

Expect the Alchemy to be removed in TES VI... Amputation is the one and only cure Beth uses.
I wish Beth cured Todd's head.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
how about instead of gimping levitation you instead add enemies that can, you know, ALSO fly? like, for example, dragons?

Considering that nearly anything that had to do with magic, alchemy or enchant was ruthlessly unbalanced in Morrowind, there was no good reason to use anything other than long swords (maybe short swords to more quickly apply more enchant damages, or spears to unflatteringly exploit the terrain)
Or blunt weapons because they have a lot of variety, many artifacts and you can exploit weight of heavy hammers to knock enemies down. Or axes to deliver damage in nice 80HP chunks with DBA (+enchants) - oops, we've just ran out of weapon types.

Well, there's Hand to Hand for the prosperically-oriented players who like to claw out the eyes of their unconscious opponents.

Sul

Savant

Well, there's Hand to Hand for the prosperically-oriented players who like to claw out the eyes of their unconscious opponents.
Good luck.
180px-MW-Creature-Rat.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Morrowind in nutshell

I don't think selling is the point here. Look at the damage value that character does. And look at the percentage of the skills being raised by the potions.

Who need to sell this shit for money if this shit makes him into an übermensch? It's the ridiculously high item and/or potion stats, that were already an exploit in Morrowind (fortify alchemy; fortify INT; make super potions of +9999999999999 of anything you desire).
How long does it take to even get anywhere close to that? Believe me, I started new Skyrim sessions just to see what skills I could power-level. It was near impossible; I just could not stand the monstrous time and effort required to power-level enchanting or alchemy. EVEN WHILE METAGAMING, I found power-leveling to be an incredibly time-consuming venture.

Anybody who did power-level alchemy or enchanting and discovered these exploits was a player who likely to put 100 hours in Skyrim with a single character. So are we saying that if we do nothing but play Skyrim non-stop day or night, we eventually create super-human characters? Well DUH!

Why exactly should the developer make the game fool-proof for the ultra-grinders? The fact is that next to ultra-grinders, no game is fool-proof.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be easy to fix in Skyrim - just make it master level (dual cast only) concentration spell (meaning you need to keep casting to stay aloft). Problem? Soleved.

Actually I'd cut all the armour skills and give armour types advantages and disadvantages impacting certain playstyles more (for example if you are focused on avoidance and acrobatics you don't want heavy armour, even though it's most protective).

You could put levitation in Skyrim, but whats the point. In Morrowind it was a essential part of the game since many quests and location could not be reached without it, also many secret areas were accessible only with it. There is no such locations in Skyrim, it could still be used to shorten your trip up to mountain or going directly to a top level of a tower, but it would not add much to the secret hunting.

As for armor, I would have both. Skills for all three weight category and unique bonuses and penalties. For example I would have heavy armor increase stamina consumption for your attacks but with higher skill minimize the penalty. Also the armor would create huge penalties for spell casting so a mage would be completely useless while wearing anything heavier them light armor and even that would influence you efficiency.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom