Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

J1M

Arcane
They are obviously naming things with singer's last names in alphabetical order.

Which means you can easily calculate how many unannounced or cancelled projects they have.

Dylan
E
F
G
H
I
Joplin
K
L
Morrison

You get the idea.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh they cashed in whatever goodwill Origins had by fucking up DA2 and DAI to the point I don't give a fuck if DA4 is cancelled or whatever.

Building it up from Anthem corpse also means that game quality wise we would probably get something like DAI so fuck that. The series doesn't exist behind Origin.

And no Origin is not a total shits or something like that. It has its problems sure, but it is completely serviceable CRPG.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
For sure it will be delivered faster than Elder Scrolls VI , im so excited when thinking about new romance options, dog, cow, sleeping orc.
Epic SJW and LGBT strike incoming, praise be BIOWARE - dumpster of once good series.

To be honest instead of this Anthem crap, we should be playing fresh ME now or a good DA without all that SJW bullcrap.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you go over to reddit and mentioned inquisition, people will defend it in droves, saying it was not as bad as people claim and that the problem are the players playing it wrong or having unfair expectations of the game.

The market is there for inquisition, and unless they cuck the gameplay reveal completely, it will sell tremendously because fans will always give one more chance to studios they once enjoyed the work of, they cant help it...

jewboy

Arbiter
Origins was shit. The shittiest shit possible. wtf is wrong with you people? That game sucked in the worst possible way: a hot steaming swirly turd without even any peanuts to pick out of it. The fact that the later games were even worse does not change that. Without resorting to mentioning Dragon Age 2 if there are any worse or more boring cRPG than Dragon Age I can't think of them. Maybe some of you were like 10 years old when you played it and so have rose tinted glasses or something. Dull repetitive combat that is less fun than watching paint dry and a badly written story. The only redeeming quality is that you could create a female character with a genuinely pretty face. It was the first game I had played that had such good graphics for character faces and so much control over face shapes.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
That article confirmed that Inquisition was a success (and not a flop like so many of you wished it would be).

That article doesn't mention that at all. It merely states:

"Meanwhile, BioWare Edmonton strained its relationship with BioWare Austin. Edmonton had this golden-child swagger. Its last game was Dragon Age: Inquisition, which won multiple Game of the Year awards."

DA:I was a flop, ... I don't know how to demonstrate that more effectively, than to point to the non-existent DA4.

DA4 doesn't exist because it's in development hell, it doesn't exist because it hasn't even been greenlit for development. Whatever DA:I was supposed to sell, it didn't meet that target.

That's a flop.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That article doesn't mention that at all.
Don't speedread.
Many at the company now grumble that the success of 2014’s Dragon Age: Inquisition was one of the worst things that could have happened to them.

“They were like, ‘We needed [Dragon Age: Inquisition] to fail in order for people to realize that this isn’t the right way to make games.’”

If Dragon Age: Inquisition hadn’t been so successful, perhaps BioWare would have changed its production practices. Perhaps studio leadership wouldn’t have preached so strongly about that BioWare magic—that last-minute cohesion that they all assumed would happen with enough hard work and enough crunch.

This iteration of Dragon Age 4 was code-named Joplin, and those who were working on it have told me they were excited by creative director Mike Laidlaw’s vision for the project.

But Anthem was on fire, and by October, BioWare had decided to make some massive changes. That summer, studio general manager Aaryn Flynn departed, to be replaced by a returning Casey Hudson. As part of this process, the studio canceled Joplin. Laidlaw quit shortly afterward, and BioWare restarted Dragon Age 4 with a tiny team under the code name Morrison. Meanwhile, the studio moved the bulk of Dragon Age 4’s developers to Anthem, which needed all of the company’s resources if it was going to hit the ship date that EA was demanding.

Developers still at the studio say that under Casey Hudson, rather than start from scratch yet again, the next Dragon Age will be built on Anthem’s codebase.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Dragon age inquisition: Desire demon went choice demon becoming from sexy succubus like demones to generic elf npc.
Never again.

Frozen

Arcane
Gameplay in Inquisition is broken. You have to be a complete idiot not to figure that out by now.

Terra

Cipher
If you go over to reddit and mentioned inquisition, people will defend it in droves, saying it was not as bad as people claim and that the problem are the players playing it wrong or having unfair expectations of the game.

The market is there for inquisition, and unless they cuck the gameplay reveal completely, it will sell tremendously because fans will always give one more chance to studios they once enjoyed the work of, they cant help it...
And yet it's funny that due to said fans denial and a united echo chamber bubble defence from game journos because of socjus pandering, DAI's undeserved praise will lock down the developers into the same hellish crunch cycle because "it works."

The article at least finally confirmed why Inquisition's critical path was laughably short and why they were forced to gate progression with mountains of busywork.

It's the same branch of thought as I saw on other forums over the years; as the sequels further abandoned PC/Crpg roots with voiced protagonists, action-based combat, removal of click to move, etc, the (console) fanboys were all saying "oh I'm fine with X change so long as it works better on console." All the while failing to grasp that the only reason Origins was any good to begin with was due to its PC roots and the further its strayed, the more pitiful the series has become. Some "fans" don't recognise that they themselves are propelling franchises they claim to love into the void through blind fanboyism.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
oH , AND now DA4 is made by 3 separate studios that hate each other and are filled with psychos that works without any order etc.
It is just fucking great.
Bioware is DEAD now , what comes from Kotaktu interviews is just sad picture of mindfucked and disorganized bunch of corpo rats.
RIP BIOWARE.

Xeon

Augur
When David Gaider and Mike Laidlaw left, I kinda thought they were forcefully retired by EA or Bioware you know, but I guess they left on their own after getting fed up or something.

Xeon

Augur
I would guess they still have the tech they used for DAI, wouldn't it be easier for devs to use that tech and improve it instead of Anthem's tech for DA4, since they were built for different reasons or something.

Wonder if its because they want to make it a live service as well.

EDIT:
Also wonder if the devs who went on leaves for stress, took paid leaves or not, they said some of them took months of leave.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Don't speedread.

OK, I did actually read that, but did not come to the conclusion that was a confirmation that the game wasn't a flop - no question it reaped in the GOTYs. Set that to one side.

Financially everything indicates a flop. From the reaction of the EA brass towards the franchise to the non-existent future it has at EA.

The question is rather, what constitutes a flop - we don't know. Is it less than 200% profit? 500%?

Whatever it was, EA was not impressed and here we are today. With nothing but vague teasers and disinterested EA.

That's a flop, a GOTY flop and lauded by every danger-hair gaming journo - but still a flop in the eyes of the only entity which matters.

EA.

Edit: I hate listing the long eulogy of DA:I, but it's there - no question, the game was a flop. If it wasn't, you'd be playing DA4 right now.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Wouldn't EA treat DA similar to ME if they were unhappy with it tho.

They killed ME after Andromeda but they announced DA4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom