Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

I'm really disapointed with the bosses so far in Nioh tbh, the main reason being what you touch on here - everything is so reactive, and it's hard to be pro-active.

But the first two bosses are utter bullshit. It's just SO fucking boring having to chip away at them for so long on based on reactive situations.

It's possible to be very aggressive. For example stay and hit the first boss in the back, dodge or just move to the right when he wipes with his hand to turn back. The boss fights in this game can be short, even without a lot of levels and skills or good gear, if you play offensively and find the right time windows to attack despite the appearances, and there are really plenty.

At worst, Team Ninja proposes an assortment of stinky and disgusting cheeses, but if you tastes some to kill the bosses, you're gonna puke and die of shame.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm really disapointed with the bosses so far in Nioh tbh, the main reason being what you touch on here - everything is so reactive, and it's hard to be pro-active.

But the first two bosses are utter bullshit. It's just SO fucking boring having to chip away at them for so long on based on reactive situations.

It's possible to be very aggressive. For example stay and hit the first boss in the back, dodge or just move to the right when he wipes with his hand to turn back. The boss fights in this game can be short, even without a lot of levels and skills or good gear, if you play offensively and find the right time windows to attack despite the appearances, and there are really plenty.

At worst, Team Ninja proposes an assortment of stinky and disgusting cheeses, but if you tastes some to kill the bosses, you're gonna puke and die of shame.

It's all reactional though.

To put it another way, with the first 2 bosses I've not once yet had that "fuck yeah! Who's ya daddy?!?" feeling of satistfaction.

Yeah you can use your living weapon for a bit, but that's gimmicky so doesn't feel satisfying. I want my revenge, I want to dragon punch or spinning piledrive these motherfuckers. Yet so far it feels like I'm just flicking them with loads of low weak kicks when they allow it.

But I'll take on board the advice others have given in this thread, and we'll see how I fare in my next go. maybe it can be salvaged. I certainly want it to because I've totally thrived on everything apart from the bosses so far.

Falksi

Arcane
Well you were right. Booted it up and, after about 15 attempts at killing the second boss a few days ago, I beat her on the first attempt :lol: High Stance with Spear did the trick.

Breezed through the next few levels, now facing lightening pooch.

Back into it big time.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Nioh is amazing

I didn't even finish the game yet, and I'm already interested in Nioh II. :cainapproves:

I like that you don't have to necessarily go always against the auto-generated "monsters", to increase your experience / get loot, you can challenge dead player "spirits", through the different maps. This makes the grinding more interesting.

And it's nice that you have to seek a balance, in your equipment. It's not the wisest idea to equip the heaviest armor you've found, in this game. Being able to react quickly, to counter-attack, block, escape, etc, is very important.

I don't regret purchasing the edition, with all the DLCs. It's not a garbage Souls clone.

Falksi

Arcane
Had about enough now I'm afraid chaps. It's a good game, hell the levels themselves are great fun. But I've found the bosses just really, really dull. No, let me be more specific. I find that the boss battles are more chore than fun - much like Dark Souls at it's worst.

See what does me isn't the fight itself, it's dying via a one-shot hit, then having to make your way back over to the boss again to - again - die of another one shot hit.

How many times do I have to run across that SAME rooftop, drop down onto the guy on the boat, run past the boxes & to the gate, only to get pushed into the water after 5 seconds. Or run through the cave, drop down into the next section, dodge the skeleton spearman, dodge the bats, run ALL the way across to the next section, dodge MORE bats, only to get paralyzed & one shotted again?

It's poor, not in just this game but all the Souls games which implement it. I shouldn't spend more time getting to a boss than I should fighting it. And when 50% of your time is spent travelling to the place where you have the fun it's just daft.

Every boss battle should have you respawn literally within 2 seconds of engaging that boss again.

Swigen

Arbiter
24254D0600000578-0-image-a-102_1418917956416.jpg

Falksi

Arcane

:lol: Nah, not frustrating, just boring & repetitive.

Give me the exact same gameplay & challenge, just don't make me spend hours of my life walking over & over the same ground to get to that gameplay & challenge, time & time again.

Most of these Souls type games suffer from the same thing. To me it's the one biggest improvement they could make.

Nioh feels a step backwards from DS3 in that respect.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
:lol: Nah, not frustrating, just boring & repetitive.

Give me the exact same gameplay & challenge, just don't make me spend hours of my life walking over & over the same ground to get to that gameplay & challenge, time & time again.

Most of these Souls type games suffer from the same thing. To me it's the one biggest improvement they could make.

Nioh feels a step backwards from DS3 in that respect.

Agreed, but when you finaly crush that fucker the sense of accomplishment is akin to an explosive orgasm and you just don’t get that from say, beating Megaman 2 with save states.

That said, Nioh can suck my dick. That pic ain’t mine but I DID smash my controller to pieces ‘cause of it a few years back. Never felt like that playing Bloodborne or the Souls games, just something about it infuriated me. Seemed like some bosses did too much random shit as opposed to following a set pattern you could learn. Also it’s been a while but if I remember correctly, besides having to trek your ass over to the chickenshit boss you also had to have your gay “spirit weapon” or whatever charged up to stand any kind of chance.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most (all?) bosses do have near checkpoints or convenient no-fight shortcuts though.

Falksi

Arcane
Most (all?) bosses do have near checkpoints or convenient no-fight shortcuts though.

I've got the one right next to the Umi Bozi fight, but it's STILL dull as hell having to make just that 2-3min trek there. Done 6 or 7 times and I'm thinking "I've just wasted 15-20 min of my life just trying to get this game to the point where I can play it"

Gitting gud by fighting the boss? Fine. Wasting minutes of my life time after time just to get to the starting point of that? Pointless & a waste.

Swigen

Arbiter
‘Eff it, I’m loading it back up. I’m conquering Onryoki if it’s the last thing I do.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I know this isn't your picture but you mentioned these games have caused you to break stuff. The big question then is that you must be a tender little soul to allow a video game to push you to the point of breaking stuff? It's a game and when you die you try again. I got fucked up so many times in NioH but I never get angry like this. It a video game that's all. How do you handle failure in real life when a video game can push you to this point.

P.S. Get Good faggot

Swigen

Arbiter
I know this isn't your picture but you mentioned these games have caused you to break stuff. The big question then is that you must be a tender little soul to allow a video game to push you to the point of breaking stuff? It's a game and when you die you try again. I got fucked up so many times in NioH but I never get angry like this. It a video game that's all. How do you handle failure in real life when a video game can push you to this point.

P.S. Get Good faggot

You sound like my wife.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

P.S. Get Good faggot

You sound like my wife.
And you sound like my 12 year old nephew

Swigen

Arbiter

P.S. Get Good faggot

You sound like my wife.

You sound like my wife’s boyfriend’s husband.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

P.S. Get Good faggot

You sound like my wife.

cuck

Swigen

Arbiter

P.S. Get Good faggot

You sound like my wife.

cuck

:oops:

If I’m a cuck it’s ‘cause I was conditioned by Nioh to be one. Nioh cucks me by using my bandwidth to download a gigantic patch, it cucks me by makin’ me schlep for 10 minutes to the boss and it cucks me by making said boss irrational and overpowered. Can’t believe people be filing class action lawsuits against Fallout 76 just ‘cause it’s not Fallout 5 but Nioh is allowed to condition men into being cucks with no reprisal!

:mixedemotions:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Just man the fuck up, download the patch, clear the game, start lifting, get a girlfriend, be a winner.

Also who the fuck ragequits on Onryoki? At least wait until bat girl so you can ragequit with some shred of dignity, however small.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom