Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Tigranes

Arcane
Yup. Bell wrote a couple of beautiful tracks for PoE 1, but most of the soundtrack was bland, forgettable elevator music. He is so inconsistent it's almost hard to believe that he really was the main composer and didn't just outsource most of the soundtrack to his deaf neighbor.

And the less to be said about Deadfire soundtrack the better. The only memorable tracks are variations on PoE1 tracks, and the shanties. It was a half-assed job, and that's just not good enough.

POE1 was decent - there were some good tracks, some that were way too obvious derivatives of BG music but still OK. But I don't know what happened with Deadfire. It's all warm beer. I suppose he was checked out, or maybe that made him realise he really needed to move on creatively.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
forgettable elevator music.
It's all warm beer.
He is so inconsistent it's almost hard to believe
I suppose he was checked out

Here's an idea. Classical music. How many people enjoy it? A very thin stratum of population, yet it's objectively considered culturally important, or should I just say simply good?

I don't understand, nor enjoy Justin Bell's music. He probably loves every note of it. A thin stratum of POE players probably love the shit out of it. Maybe he's the classical composer of RPGs then? I mean if your only goal is to please everyone, is it even still art?

What does it all mean?

Haha I'm fucking with you, Justin Bell's music is trash. Listen to this though:

Something a bit more difficult to understand:

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
What's this promotion is all about? Is Sawyer ready to become the CEO of Obsidian for Microsoft and lead it into the glorious and balanced future for all eternity?

Sawyar.jpg

Obergruppenführer Sawyer

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That is... interesting. Mozart and Haydn have been influenced by alla turca style music.

Not only them, Vienna was all aflame with "Turkish" music at the time. Mozart's The Abduction from the Seraglio's whole plot is based around that theme. It was considered exotic and new (perhaps also barbarous and dangerous), but like everything that has ever been considered exotic in Europe, it's focused through the prism of European thought, in this case the European musical style and then-contemporary composition conventions.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That is... interesting. Mozart and Haydn have been influenced by alla turca style music.

Not only them, Vienna was all aflame with "Turkish" music at the time. Mozart's The Abduction from the Seraglio's whole plot is based around that theme. It was considered exotic and new (perhaps also barbarous and dangerous), but like everything that has ever been considered exotic in Europe, it's focused through the prism of European thought, in this case the European musical style and then-contemporary composition conventions.

It's a bit more complex than that, because these music styles weren't taken from say Ottoman court music or lounge music, music styles they could genuinely interact with. They were taken from military bands, so the influence is essentially one of observation and fascination, it's also all very loose and mystified.

"The Europeans were particularly fascinated by the visual and aural impact of the Mehter Bands. These ensembles were held in high regard, similar to the pomp and circumstance tied to military band performances today. Indeed the mehter bands, or "janissary" as the European courts referred to them, were the forerunner of many contemporary practices such as the use of the bell tree, cymbals, bass drum, timpani, and oboes. Even the Shakos worn on the heads of marching band members or the baton or mace held proudly aloft by the drum major can trace their roots to these ensembles."

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I have overreached balanced daily dosage of rating posts as balanced. How can I restore balance to balance given/received ratio?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Boyarsky at the LA Comic Con tomorrow:

https://www.comicconla.com/programming-schedule/

Crafting the Apocalypse with Wasteland Exports
Saturday, Oct 27
2:30 PM

Take a trip across the Wasteland and have an in-depth discussion with one of the Founding Fathers of the Fallout franchise, Leonard Boyarsky (Obsidian Entertainment, Fallout, Fallout 2), Zack Finfrock (Creator/Actor, Nuka Break) and a panel of top Fallout Cosplayers and Makers. Hosted by award-winning actor Ryan Hellquist (L.A. Macabre, Nuka Break)

The panelists will include:

Leonard Boyarsky
Zack Finfrock
Jesse Conners
Curtis Clason
Evan Cray
Genevieve MacDonald
James Duffy
Ricky Perez

and moderated by Ryan Hellquist

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Feargus sounds like you don't want to be owner anymore.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What can change the nature of a man.

getting de-ownered

He got de-ownered because he was acting like a dick - his nature got changed before that.

This is manipulation and propaganda spread by my enemies still at Obsidian. I am incredibly polite and well-mannered. Every Coder will tell you this.

The reason I got de-ownered is that I didn't choose Erik.
Yeah,that is true. Also i am polite compassionate and tolerant liberal.

Codex Year of the Donut
What can change the nature of a man.

getting de-ownered

He got de-ownered because he was acting like a dick - his nature got changed before that.

This is manipulation and propaganda spread by my enemies still at Obsidian. I am incredibly polite and well-mannered. Every Coder will tell you this.

The reason I got de-ownered is that I didn't choose Erik.
Yeah,that is true. Also i am polite compassionate and tolerant liberal.
:liberals:

Developer
are you involved in development of F76?

No, although I'm curious on the reception.

That's a good career move for him and probably a quite nice salary bump for him as well. 9 years is a long time to be working in one company the gaming industry.

Has someone been forced out since you mentioned that he wasn't forced out? (Other than you)

Not to my knowledge, but I usually add to anyone who I know has left the disclaimer that "they weren't forced out or laid off or fired" clarification when posting so people don't make an assumption like "oh, well, so-and-so must have been fired/let go" (which while more dramatic, isn't true).

Sometimes it's hard to tell unless you dig a little and the reverse assumption can be damaging/insulting, so I do dig when possible (hey, did you resign, did they try and keep you/make a counteroffer, had you already made up your mind to leave, where are you going next, etc.).

In almost all instances where I asked in the past year, Obsidian had wanted to keep the developers who recently left (I didn't ask or already knew about the older ones). I think lack of promotion factored pretty strongly into a number of them (or promotions offered, then refused).

Me being forced out = While they still wanted me to work on Tyranny and made me an offer to do so, I'm sure that was a reluctant offer (and Obsidian hadn't been doing much to support Tyranny anyway) to appease Paradox, justify some costs, and also minimize bad press (since I'd still be "working" for them) - as such, the "forced out" I'd argue still holds water.

To explain contracting and its relevance here: So there are similar instances where Obsidian may want to let someone go (or a developer may want to resign or retire), but the company instead offers to move that person to contract (like they did with me) so they don't actually have to say they let anyone go or someone has "left", they can simply choose not to renew a contract later on - as an example, I believe Indiana has started (or already has) cancelled their outsourcing contracts with ex-Obsidian employees, so now some of them are looking for work or are off pursuing their own interests, but it's not something you could legitimately call a downsizing/layoff/what-have-you when it's a contracting relationship. Semantics for the win, I guess.

Also, as another factor, if the Obsidian-MS deal is being worked out (I believe it is, but I don't know for sure beyond gossip - and I certainly don't know if it's a sure thing), Obsidian may also have to move to detach contract employees, as redrafting new contracts would be annoying (I had this experience at one company that was bought, so we interrupted my contract to avoid it and did a new one after the purchase). Also, partly, they may not simply need the personnel either, especially if the next project may not need the same size staff.

do we get one question?

No, it's just a bullshit rule I made up. Ideally, if you crossed paths, you could ask as many questions as you like/seem appropriate. I sure did, but it wasn't much about work.

Flou

Arbiter
In almost all instances where I asked in the past year, Obsidian had wanted to keep the developers who recently left (I didn't ask or already knew about the older ones). I think lack of promotion factored pretty strongly into a number of them (or promotions offered, then refused).

To explain contracting and its relevance here: So there are similar instances where Obsidian may want to let someone go (or a developer may want to resign or retire), but the company instead offers to move that person to contract (like they did with me) so they don't actually have to say they let anyone go or someone has "left", they can simply choose not to renew a contract later on - as an example, I believe Indiana has started (or already has) cancelled their outsourcing contracts with ex-Obsidian employees, so now some of them are looking for work or are off pursuing their own interests, but it's not something you could legitimately call a downsizing/layoff/what-have-you when it's a contracting relationship. Semantics for the win, I guess.

They have definately lost some good and talented people during this year. I would imagine it's hard to keep everyone happy at a company that has very limited Lead positions and with the very limited budget you have to consider how many people you can promote to senior status. Though I believe the lack of promotions is something that Obsidian has been critized on Glassdoor. Instead of promoting their own staff, they will hire seniors from outside of the company.
I can see benefits from a managerial point of view when you hire people outside of the company. You get more talent and fresh ideas into the company, but at the same time you will disappoint people who've sweat their asses off for the company and some of them will leave when the opportunity of an promotion goes by. It's not like there's a lack of gaming jobs in California area, if you don't get Lead/Senior position at your current company, you can probably get it from someplace else.

How often is that "contract work" method used? I've seen some of Obsidian's artists working as freelancers and I believe Andrew Dearing (the sound guy from AP) has his own shop as well nowadays. How easily can you cancel such an outsourcing contract? Just wondering on the job security for people on such contracts.
From the companys pov that's a great way to do business. Not probably the most ethical way to do business, but gaming industry and ethics don't really walk hand in hand.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Christ Almighty, Leon, you're loaded, buy a different shirt. That polo is so worn out it probably seen action in 'Nam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom