Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Rake

Arcane
You're being highly speculative that future campaigns will be funded one way or another. Whether the project is funded by publisher, KS, or internally, it doesn't matter. If there's no new projects to move the current staff onto, then the staff gets laid off. This isn't anything unique to software developers - it's just meeting schedule and cost of your current projects without too much overhead. As stated, no one likes to lay off their staff, but it happens. It's business.

Obsidian activly tries to avoid it though. We know at least of one occasion (pre-2012 march layoffs) where the owners of the company (Chris Parker, Chris Jones, Darren Moanahan, Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone) activly didn't pay themselves for over half a year to keep people on. (Apart from hires that are meant to be contract work of course and are advertised as such)

If they play their cards right with Eternity and South Park this should be possible. It's clear that they got a lot more attractive for publishers in the last year, even more so if Eternity sells well.

Related (to the topic): Another victim of the march 2012 layoffs, Dini McMurry, was hired back. She was a world builder on Fallout: New Vegas and created, among other things, Camp Searchlight. (Also worked on all the DLC's)
Well, in the future if they have a similar problem they can always throw a kickstarter and instantly find job for 15-20 people, so i expect Obsidian to stabilize.
Now the only question is why they don't hire Ziets fulltime already? :mad:

Duraframe300

Arcane

They probably want to keep costs low for now and don't need the extra writer full time. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired him back after P:E releases though.

At least I know I'm going to make my voice loud for Ziets hard sci-fi crpg if Obsidian asks what new projects we wanna see apart from P:E 2. (Or towards the end of P:E's development cycle anyway)

Rake

Arcane

They probably want to keep costs low for now and don't need the extra writer full time. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired him back after P:E releases though.

At least I know I'm going to make my voice loud for Ziets hard sci-fi crpg if Obsidian asks what new projects we wanna see apart from P:E 2. (Or towards the end of P:E's development cycle anyway)
I would be perfectly happy with Obsidian spliting the "dream team" in multiple isometric 2D RPGs. Have Ziets with Tim Cain in a sci-fi RPG, Avellone and Sawyer in PE expansion etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Related (to the topic): Another victim of the march 2012 layoffs, Dini McMurry, was hired back. She was a world builder on Fallout: New Vegas and created, among other things, Camp Searchlight. (Also worked on all the DLC's)
Searchlight was pretty good and it's always great to have more dykes on board.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Does Roguey know the sexual orientation of every Obsidian employee? That is creepy... guess they don't call you a stalker for shits and giggles. :thumbsup:

Endemic

Arcane
So if you met a woman who liked Star Wars, yet "conformed to traditional gender roles" in most aspects, your head would explode Roguey? :P

Back on topic, :thumbsup: to McMurry for the Searchlight design.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
So I take it that with 120 employees they are also working on something other than the South Park RPG and Eternity?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's the Russian MMO they're helping with (for what ever reason -- money) and an unannounced project.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Up to 126+ (Mentioned in Eternity Update, but not yet changed in Linkedin) now. And they're looking for people
Chris Avellone ‏@ChrisAvellone 5h
Job openings @Obsidian: artists, programmers, designers, producers, and testers, interns to seniors. Check it out: http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/

Obsidian Entertainment is Looking for YOU!
the-team.jpg

Join the Obsidian Entertainment Team!
Obsidian Entertainment is always looking for creative individuals interested in a challenging environment creating the best role-playing games in the world. If making the next generation of role-playing games in a friendly, enjoyable atmosphere is what you're looking for, we want to hear from you!

Obsidian Entertainment is the best of both worlds - the stability and cutting edge projects of a large studio combined with the family (and family-friendly) feel of a smaller company. We emphasize employee development through seminars, conventions, and research and boast open communication both within and across projects.

If you think you have the chops (that is, experience, qualifications and passionate desire) to create AAA role-playing games, send us a cover letter, resume, and samples of your work (portfolios and demo reels, sample code, personal websites or anything else that demonstrates your abilities.) Obsidian Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer.

Benefits at Obsidian
Being a part of one of the few remaining independent developers in the world creating role-playing games is only the start! Obsidian offers many benefits to its employees:

• Competitive salaries
  • Immediate 401k with matching and no vesting periods
  • Complete comprehensive employee health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
  • Paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and an additional week off during the December holidays
  • A well maintained games, book and DVD library with hundreds of titles available to borrow
  • Movie Fridays where the company takes a workday field trip across the street to see the latest and greatest blockbuster movies

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian Entertainment is currently looking for a top notch contract level designer to join us in creating a unique next generation game.
The ability to evaluate and understand the mechanics of a game and create 2D layouts that complement the experience.
Design 2D layouts and work with art and programming to create a unique and fun experience.
Surely this isn't South Park-related.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian Entertainment is currently looking for a top notch contract level designer to join us in creating a unique next generation game.
The ability to evaluate and understand the mechanics of a game and create 2D layouts that complement the experience.
Design 2D layouts and work with art and programming to create a unique and fun experience.
Surely this isn't South Park-related.

So, Simpsons or Family Guy? :troll:

Nael

Arcane
Does Roguey know the sexual orientation of every Obsidian employee? That is creepy... guess they don't call you a stalker for shits and giggles. :thumbsup:
No I just read http://www.bethblog.com/2010/07/28/inside-the-vault-denise-mcmurry/ and made an assumption. Seems more likely to be gay than a straight who refuses to conform to traditional gender roles.

Really? Denise McMurry? Her name just sounds like a dyke's name. She's the dykiest dyke in Dykestown. She's probably the mayor of Dykestown... AND Sheriff.

Arkeus

Arcane
Haven't released a product in months years, but are hiring more people. Ponzi scheme? :troll: Have they just learnt the tricks of the trade when it comes to gaining investors?
I am getting the feeling that they both:
A°) they got a couple of projects they haven't talked about.
B°) P:E is going WAY better than they first expected, and they think they might have a way to keep more people around.

2house2fly

Magister
I remember hearing that they signed a contract with someone around Christmas. Though I think that turned out to be the MMO thing.

Rake

Arcane
I remember hearing that they signed a contract with someone around Christmas. Though I think that turned out to be the MMO thing.
At this point they have:
PE
South Park (could be alredy finished)
AAA next gen multi-platform game
MMO thing
At least that are the games they have revealed so far

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder if they've started pre-production on a sequel to The Stick of Truth already. Ubisoft may want to milk that franchise like they've been doing with all the other ones they have.

likaq

Arcane
MCA mentioned that they were contacted by publishers interested in classic crpg's.
Maybe it is iso + tb crpg.
:smug:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Would that be considered AAA in 2013? L0LZ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom