Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Older Wizardry and games with no music - music suggestions?

Just wondering what if anything you listen when playing these older games with zero soundtracks?

Such as Wizardry 1-5 etc

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
PS1 versions of Wiz 1-5 have music, so you can grab them from the CD/whatever and listen to them while playing.

Apart from that I remember blasting music from Dark Corners of the Earth when I played Wiz1 and ambient pieces worked pretty well when I had to drag the half-dead party out of the dungeon.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Listen to your own music. None of the music on any of the ports has been good. NES music is generic 8 bit garbage. PS version is higher res generic. The FM Towns has generic orchestral stuff. Meh

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
ghostbusters22.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
play the remakes, their soundtrack is amazing, specifically the ps1 versions.

EDIT: also simply playing the ps1 or snes soundtrack of each game over their original versions is also sufficient, though I don't know why you would do that instead of just playing one of the remakes.

remakes also let you play with original wireframe graphics but still keep the orchestral soundtrack as well.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Just wondering what if anything you listen when playing these older games with zero soundtracks?
Music from older games that had excellent soundtracks, such as Faery Tale Adventure. +M

Of course, some games such as Dungeon Master were music-less for good reason, as it would have distracted the player's attention from the sounds actually occurring within the game.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Started Wizardry 6 myself yesterday. Since it doesn't have any soundtrack either, I just played some tabletop RPG ambience track in the background. These two ontop of each other work pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ias7pnRfYRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a483kj0sR4c (I recommend lowering the volume on this one to about 1/3 of the first)

Both videos are pretty long too. Make sure to set the mor

Llylgamyn Saga and Dimguil (PS1 remakes) both have pretty solid soundtracks though:

https://youtu.be/091-1QQ6ZO8
https://youtu.be/YhlVjCW7nRU

Dorateen

Arcane
Any war themed music works, forging ahead into a bloody conflict. Back when I played Pool of Radiance, a cRPG with zero soundtrack, the song "Good Night Saigon" happened to come on the stereo in the background. A lot of the lyrics were appropriate for a party based adventure about a band of brothers staring down death, seemingly around every corner.

Also

Paschendale

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Didn’t see a breakdown on the fm-towns tracks. I hate continuoudgameplay soundtracks anther than edited recorded full tracks each separated into individual tacks.

Still, nifty shit I didn’t know about.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Of course, some games such as Dungeon Master were music-less for good reason, as it would have distracted the player's attention from the sounds actually occurring within the game.

I'm usually of this same opinion. Never managed to make soundtracks work when playing PnP either.
Still, for whatever it's worth, I'd suggest OP to check Za Frûmi; I can certainly see it working when crawling thru dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom