Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II turn-based mode confirmed, coming January 24th

Ladonna

Arcane
Back to the future!

Take us back 10-15-20 years and all you could hear was " Turn based?!?! that is so old fashioned, and not what modern audiences want! It is only because the machines could not handle real time combat, which is more realistic, that any game used crappy turn based combat!" and any CRPG put forward to the publishers HAD to be real time. See Arcanum for a classic case of shoe horned real time fail.

Now we see turn based being the cool kid? Everything old is new again. I take it Divinity sales have had a hand in this decision?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Cohn had a stream of the turn-based combat and it looked a million times better. It's not a question of whether it will be an improvement anymore, because it clearly already is.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm pretty sure most of the haters didn't even play Deadfire - it's a great game actually. Most of the stuff that people complained about regarding the first game was fixed.

Good thing I still have all three DLC's and the endgame to try the turn-based mode on.

Terra

Cipher
Why would they give this game some love if they didn't?
Because it's a vanity project?
Seems more like the kind of project spurred on by their console publishers wanting a mode that's less of a conga clusterfuck when played with a controller tbh, with PC players being the beta/QA testers.

Not complaining about the mode being added, but that's my bet.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Josh Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire]

It’s hard to say how the turn-based system differs in technical terms. You would have to replay the full game in both modes, paying attention to the stats and the combat log. Then you might be able to draw a conclusion as to which is better or more balanced.​

which is better or more balanced...

:littlemissfun:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Back to the future!

Take us back 10-15-20 years and all you could hear was " Turn based?!?! that is so old fashioned, and not what modern audiences want! It is only because the machines could not handle real time combat, which is more realistic, that any game used crappy turn based combat!" and any CRPG put forward to the publishers HAD to be real time. See Arcanum for a classic case of shoe horned real time fail.

Now we see turn based being the cool kid? Everything old is new again. I take it Divinity sales have had a hand in this decision?

People can bitch about nu Xcom games, but they've made turn-based cool again.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A: We are selling at 0.08x the rate of the first game, cant even cover production costs and we're pretty much fucked financially, better do something fast guys

B: How about we ship to consoles?

C: How do you expect RTwP to work with a joypad? We would need a turn-based mode or something

A: chop chop boys

And thus, consoles have brought us the incline. Truly these are the strangest of times

Doktor Best

Arcane
It is interesting to see how everyone is so goddamn sure about how the turnbased mode will turn out to be. It is almost like you guys do not judge the game based on conclusions you draw from playing the game, but some petty quarrel you have with the developer.

I'm pretty sure most of the haters didn't even play Deadfire - it's a great game actually. Most of the stuff that people complained about regarding the first game was fixed.

Good thing I still have all three DLC's and the endgame to try the turn-based mode on.

Sadly you cannot switch to turnbased mode midgame.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Did they fix:
1. Lack of prebuffing
2. Lack of proper vancian casting combined with proper resting system
3. Lack of good writing
4. Lack of interesting companions
5. Lack of main story that makes sense
6. Lack of main villain that is interesting
7. Lack of good attribute/combat system that is not based around 2-4% shitty modifiers
8. Lack of any interesting spellcasting battles

So did they?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Back to the future!

People can bitch about nu Xcom games, but they've made turn-based cool again.
They made turn based into popamole 2AP cover shit fest on miniscule scale. Being turn based doesn't automatically make it good, and IMO it's the worst possible outcome where they actually popularized that abomination and it spreads like cancer. There are RTwP implementations better than this garbage.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Its like you are in a studio with some buddies, jamming on that bass guitar..
you start with a tune and eventually finish the whole track then you go back and change the bassline after its completed :retarded:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
1. Lack of prebuffing
7. Lack of good attribute/combat system that is not based around 2-4% shitty modifiers

The real paradox is that despite Sawyer's experience with various systems he still fucked up with the ruleset. It's frankly embadrassing that all they came up with in the end was a cheap 4E knockoff that's even further ruined by trying to appeal to everybody and not overstimulate players. It's impossible that at this point Josh still doesn't get the fucking basics of system design, so I'm guessing what happened is being the lead for this project was too much for him and he got into his own head a little too deep, greatly overthinking everything while those poisonous whispers around him hissing "m-m-muh accessibility" and "m-m-muh audience" in his ear probably didn't help the poor lad much.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
1/ Why would anyone think a company does something for them? That's not what a fucking company does.
2/ Why the fuck do I care what their ~feelings~ are when they are doing it?

I could not give two shits about what t-shirts Sawyer wears or how much they earned from the game or any of this retarded shit. Adding an optional TB mode to Deadfire improves the quality of the game. It does not fix the many other flaws, because duh. End of.
This is like praising a shitty food because the restaurant gives you a free pack of salt.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
On one hand while I don't like all these Pillars (c) I wish this TB trannyfication well.
On the other hand, honestly speaking I think all that goodwishing for the sake of "Industry will see and magic will happen blahblahblah" is completely useless and is a castle in the air, so fuck this.
I simply don't care untill this turn-based mode will be SUPERB, with appropriate changes to role system and whatnot - like i game, you should be able to put all this negro-women and such to their places, slap her ass and tell her to carry beer now.
Untill then they could choke their охуительные истории alone.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I am playing it now on GoG, but where is the option for TB? It isn't there! I am in the first fight, and nowhere was the option in menu or in game to go TB! This is utter cancer!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Did they fix:
1. Lack of prebuffing
3. Lack of good writing
4. Lack of interesting companions
5. Lack of main story that makes sense
6. Lack of main villain that is interesting
8. Lack of any interesting spellcasting battles

So did they?

1. Not that important.
2. It was fine to begin with.
3. Writing is much better in Deadfire than POE1. Using a ship as your hub that you can upgrade is also awesome.
4. There are some very interesting companions, eg. a constantly drunk female pirate. It's certainly not PST-awesome, but also much better than POE1.
5. The story absolutely makes sense.
6. A gigantic statue under your castle came to life by a god inhabiting it, destroyed your castle and walked to the Deadfire archipelago. You were "recruited" (blackmailed) by another god to go after him.
7. The modifiers add up and there is much more to combat than that, eg. Chanters and Cyphers are great, can summon Dragons or fuck with the mind of the opponents. Or you can create magical walls that paralyze or damage opponents, etc.. The itemization is also excellent, including unique weapons, good selection of firearms, etc.
8. The battles against Famphyrs, Dragons and unique bosses come pretty close to that, though yeah, that is one point where BG2 is still better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom